JBLU Pilot Hiring Trends

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SpeedBird

I just finished listening to the JBLU Q2 CC. In the Q&A wrap-up, one of the analysts asked DN how the company went about selecting its pilots. He (DN) said that JBLU hires roughly 1/3 military, 1/3 furloughed/commercial, and 1/3 corporate. According to DN, the airline likes this mix for the following reasons:

1. He REALLY likes the quality product he sees in military-trained pilots.

2. Former furlough pilots come on board at JBLU, and can compare the improved working conditions here,versus their previous experience at airline X. He said these pilots have become some of the most staunch supporters of JBLU's operations.

3. He likes corporate pilots because they come from an environment which emphasizes good customer service as part of their job description. He said that many of them find the JBLU customer service philosophy a natural part of their employment expectations

DN also went on to say that currently JBLU has over 6,000 resumes on file, and they are able to select the very best people available in this current job market. The biggest criteria for job selection is someone who fits into JBLU's culture and emphasis of great customer service without having to be "de-programmed."

Additionally, JBLU will taking delivery of new aircraft at 1 per month thru Oct, 3 in Nov, and 2 in Dec. They expect to have a very busy fall for training new crewmembers to meet the big drop of aircraft in Nov & Dec.

Last edited:
Speedbird,

For what its worth...my client successes back up your post.

Military rate has been 100%.

Former USAir....almost 100%

Delta/United......not as good. I know for a fact a couple former Delta guys have been hired, but anecdotally I think they have a harder hill to climb.

If you ain't from USAir and are a furloughee...you better be ready to SHINE. If you are from USAir...they seem to know your act, and they have plenty of your former brothers and sisters working there now.

Military...Ann Rhodes told me personally in 2001 they wanted more military. Looks like they meant it....

Good luck everyone!

FURLOUGH's

Albie:

Any data on Furloughed UAL, with military background, back into military after Furlough???:confused:

IP

AlbieF15 said:
. . . .
Military...Ann Rhodes told me personally in 2001 they wanted more military. Looks like they meant it....

Good luck everyone!

From my casual observation at the June 25th Phase 1 interview, Albie (as usual) is dead on. I would estimate that at least 50% of the 70 there were from the military side of the fence, a surprisingly higher number than I anticipated. The remaining were a split of furloughed majors, commuters/regional, and corporate. Additionally, I'd say it was a 50/50 split of interviewees who had previous Airbus experience and those who did not.

We passed around an email list, gathering about 15 names to keep in touch. Of those, only 2 didn't make it to Phase 2. And another attendee informed me that several he heard who were not called back had various backgrounds, yet each of these went into the interview "cold-turkey", in otherwords, little or no preparation. Hint, hint.

Take it serious when you get the call, guys/gals. Leave no stone unturned in your preparation, but most importantly, have fun. It was the most pleasant experience in my professional career.

Good luck!

DL

"If you ain't from USAir and are a furloughee...you better be ready to SHINE. If you are from USAir...they seem to know your act, and they have plenty of your former brothers and sisters working there now."

I wonder if there is a bias against airline pilots who are still employed but want to come to jetBlue.

Current US Airways pilot (barely), A320 type, 600 in type, 10,000 jet, still waiting for the call 15 mos. after applying.

Hey Reep,

No bias that I know of. In fact, the Feb. class had a USAirways Captain who resigned and is now flying for JetBlue. Great guy, too, who happened to read the writing on the wall. Keep updating, and be patient, good things will happen.

DL

Latest resources

Back