Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting RJ and Independence Air Commentary by Mike Boyd - Again...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]We all know Mike Boyd is not a big fan of the RJ. So, he lets us know about it in relation to the Independence Air startup. Interesting comments about potential problems with the high-frequency model and the Northeast ATC problems. Any thoughts - do you agree with him? Read below:[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica][/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Can Independence Air Pull It Off?

Moving beyond sunshine studies that hype the wonder and glories of RJs, the open question is whether ACA can transform itself from a small jet provider into to an independent carrier operating over 80 50-seat jets.

Some observations...

That Scraping Sound Really Was An Iceberg. First, the carrier is visionary in recognizing that the SJP segment of the industry is in decline. Being a supplier of lift to United would not continue to provide growth, nor even long-term stability to the company. A shake-out is coming in the SJP segment. Without question, there will be a need for SJPs, but only the strongest will survive. Mesa, Skywest, and Air Wisconsin are hands-down choices as long term players. Beyond these, some of today's current SJPs won't be in the game in ten years, at least not in their current forms. And one of the most lucrative future real estate investments will be desert property - to park retired RJs.

So, ACA moving from being an SJP to an independent airline shows innovation.

But, The Costs. Forget the smoke being blown around about 50-seat jets. Their ASM costs are high, and going higher. But on short stage lengths, the necessary fares to get into the profit column are not high in terms of dollar amounts. Figure IAD-RDU, for example. If that CRJ has ASM costs in the, say, 16 cent range, the carrier can charge a base fare of around double that and still stay at or under $100 each way.

Conclusion: at least on paper, the high costs of RJ flying may not be as onerous as they look for I-Air.

But, Airlines Fly In The Sky, Not On Paper. A key component of the Independence Air plan seems to be offering very high frequencies in RJ-served markets. Unfortunately that sky is managed by an incompetent and rickety air traffic control system. The FAA's bailing-wire ATC system could toss a huge monkey wrench into the airline's plan. With six to twelve daily round trips in every market, even a minor glitch could cause big time operational chaos and significant spikes in operational costs.

Remember, despite what the FAA puts out in press releases, it is NOT weather that is the major cause of delays, particularly on the East Coast. It is the inability of the outdated and mis-managed ATC system to keep up with weather conditions.

Other frequency-related questions:

Open question: Can places like Lansing support six flights a day to IAD?

Question: The carrier intends to bring total ASM costs down by flying the airplanes gazillions of hours each day. Just how much traffic is there to and from IAD in the shoulder hours - departures before 7AM and after 6PM?

Question: With what are expected to be materially lower fares, how much traffic stimulation is possible in some of these markets? Fares between Washington and places such as Lansing (which, by the way has never had nonstop service to Washington) have historically tended to be just slightly lower than the sticker price on a new Lexus. With higher frequencies, nonstop service, and cheaper fares, it is entirely possible that some of these markets could see huge traffic spikes.

The Long-Haul Flying. Independence Air plans on adding A-319/320 service to points in the West from IAD. The vulnerability lies in how United, JetBlue, America West, and perhaps other carriers react. Obviously, with over 300 daily flights, I-Air will be the dominant player at IAD, and for that matter, Washington itself, which can give it an advantage. But that advantage is predicated on the airline's ability to gain quick and very strong consumer brand loyalty.

And That Brings Us To Brand Loyalty. As a United Express provider, ACA was carrying United's passengers, not their own. As Independence Air, brand loyalty will the the maker or the breaker of the airline's future. That means that its customer service absolutely must be lights-out, professional, exceptionally trained, and top of the industry. The days of being able to get away with the seven-flights-departing-at-once, escape-from-Saigon boarding process are over. If the customer gets the impression that I-Air is just a commuter airline, with load-'em-up-and-head-'em-out service, the airline will torpedo its own future.

Summary. The success of Independence Air will ultimately depend on things beyond just having lower fares. Three components must fall into place.

The schedule reliability cannot be unduly affected by ATC or other operational factors.

There will need to be substantial traffic stimulation in many of their markets (which is entirely possible, but not guaranteed.)

The I-Air customer must be treated so that he or she really would like to fly the airline again.

Washington/Dulles represents a unique and one-off opportunity for an SJP to attempt to break into the world of being a stand-alone airline. This summer should be an interesting one on the East Coast.

(c) 2004, The Boyd Group/ASRC, Inc. All Rights Reserved
[/font]

This clown Boyd is just trying to cover his bases, that way if Indy happens to make it he can say he was right. No better than a 2$ gypsie telling your fortune!!

I know IAD has many runways, but how will one of them being closed this Summer for repaving affect the frequency of the Indy RJs? Will that have any affect on the rolling hub? Just a question----there are a lot of airports with construction this Summer......

Bye Bye---General Lee

brand loyalty is the name of the game.

if you want to buy a ford or chevy, you go to two or three lots ,
check price and go from there. you'll always take the lower price
and expect impeccable service when it breaks.

Boyd isn't a clown in his observations. If the job growth
continues, and salesman hit the road again and bag the video
conferences, the real traffic growth predicted by gov't forecast
in the late 90's for the coming decade will hit the target of 50%
by 2010. i don't know about his desert parking lot of RJs but,
With southwest, airtran, jetblue bringing on 300+ more planes , and Delta
american, united ramping up, who is going to get screwed?

I would bet there is going to be consolidation in the LCC industry as much as there will be in the legacy carrier airlines. It has been postulated that only 3 of the legacy carriers will survive the rest of the decade - the remainder will merge or go Chapter 7. It would be logical to think the same thing of the LCC industry: with aircraft commonality the big thing, who will merge and who will go under?

I would like very much for Mr. Boyd to
jump in here and explain how weather
delays, deicing delays, and trying to
keep runways snow free during a
blizzard are the fault of a rickety
bailing wire ATC system...where
was our oracle genius when RDU was
buried in 2000? I suppose that busting
100+yr record storm was ATC's fault
too.

Dumb fuquing dumb fuqu!

There is anal in analyst!

General Lee said:
I know IAD has many runways, but how will one of them being closed this Summer for repaving affect the frequency of the Indy RJs? Will that have any affect on the rolling hub? Just a question----there are a lot of airports with construction this Summer......

Bye Bye---General Lee
It certaintly will not help. Luckily it's 'scheduled' to finish mid August - just as Iair gets totally ramped up. I think it's going to be the Dulles controllers who'll be the real challenge.

Airboard,

I think you are correct. There is one female controller at IAD that I hate. I landed the plane and tried to get off the runway as soon as possible, and eventually took a reverse high speed. The lady then yelled at us and said we needed to ask for the reverse next time. I replied, "You never said cleared to land 1L and don't use the reverse high speed..." I was just trying to get off the runway as soon as possible, and there was no traffic on any taxiway near us. What a bi-atch!

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Airboard,

... I replied, "You never said cleared to land 1L and don't use the reverse high speed..." I was just trying to get off the runway as soon as possible, and there was no traffic on any taxiway near us. What a bi-atch!

Bye Bye--General Lee
Once you pass a taxiway, you need an ATC clearance to execute a reverse or 180 on the runway. If she just said "Cleared to land 1L" then you are not authorized to use the reverse. She doesn't have to specify "don't use the reverse high speed..." But I know who you mean she is a bitch!!!

rubberducky said:
Once you pass a taxiway, you need an ATC clearance to execute a reverse or 180 on the runway. If she just said "Cleared to land 1L" then you are not authorized to use the reverse. She doesn't have to specify "don't use the reverse high speed..." But I know who you mean she is a bitch!!!
what's your source? mine's the AIM. tell me where it says a reverse high-speed (really a 135 degree turn) is not authorized.

AIM said:
4-3-20. EXITING THE RUNWAY AFTER LANDING
The following procedures should be followed after landing and reaching taxi speed.
a. Exit the runway without delay at the first available taxiway or on a taxiway as instructed by ATC. Pilots shall not exit the landing runway onto another runway unless authorized by ATC. At airports with an operating control tower, pilots should not stop or reverse course on the runway without first obtaining ATC approval.
b. Taxi clear of the runway unless otherwise directed by ATC. In the absence of ATC instructions the pilot is expected to taxi clear of the landing runway by clearing the hold position marking associated with the landing runway even if that requires the aircraft to protrude into or cross another taxiway, or ramp area. This does not authorize an aircraft to cross a subsequent taxiway/runway/ramp after clearing the landing runway.
NOTE -
The tower will issue the pilot with instructions which will normally permit the aircraft to enter another taxiway, runway, or ramp area when required to taxi clear of the runway by clearing the hold position marking associated with the landing runway.
c. Stop the aircraft after clearing the runway if instructions have not been received from ATC.
d. Immediately change to ground control frequency when advised by the tower and obtain a taxi clearance.
NOTE -
[1] The tower will issue instructions required to resolve any potential conflictions with other ground traffic prior to advising the pilot to contact ground control.
[2] A clearance from ATC to taxi to the ramp authorizes the aircraft to cross all runways and taxiway intersections. Pilots not familiar with the taxi route should request specific taxi instructions from ATC.

Latest resources

Back