• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

schmooze

January 30, 2007

Runway not paved with gold for pilots
Fliers no longer earn pie-in-the-sky salary as regional airlines take off, giants cut pay

Graphic: Pay in the cockpit

Transportation
Flying
Airlines
Life
Mesa Air Group
Hobbies
Home
Mortgage

Powered by Topix.net
clear.gif

By Ted Evanoff
[email protected]

Piloting jet airliners has been considered a glamorous career for so long that one quiet fact is easy to overlook: the pay.
clear.gif

Happy in Indianapolis: David Opwonya, first officer for Republic Airways, talked about the standards of training and the opportunities for pilots Monday. A former flier for Mesa Air and an airline in East Africa, he is based in Indianapolis and said he's not looking to move to another carrier. - Alan Petersime / The Star

clear.gif

It's no longer what you might call generous.
Indeed, the cabbie driving you to the airport may earn almost as much as the co-pilot flying you out of Indianapolis -- about $25,000 a year for newer pilots.
Big airlines staggered by steep fuel costs have outsourced loads of short and medium routes to independent regional airlines, such as Indianapolis-based Republic, that are able to fly for less, in part, because they pay less.
Travelers at Indianapolis International Airport are increasingly likely to board a 50- to 70-seat regional jet piloted by a captain whose income is half the $140,000 annual base pay of the skipper on a 120-seat Boeing 737.
"We have this perception that a pilot is worth $250,000 a year because that's what it's always been," said aviation analyst Vaughn Cordle, president of Airline Economics in Washington, D.C., a research firm. "But the value of the pilot in the marketplace has gone down significantly."
It doesn't mean flying out of Indy is no longer as safe as it was, aviation experts say. It does mean a green first officer serving as co-pilot in the regional jet may earn no more than a taxi driver at AAA Hoosier Cab in Indianapolis in a good year. And the captain is probably no gray-haired veteran of the skies.
"It's kind of amazing really, the low salaries for these regional airlines," said Daniel DeLaurentis, an assistant professor of aeronautics at Purdue University. "But I think the safety record speaks for itself: We don't see planes falling out of the sky."
Younger crews in the cockpit don't faze Renaye Baker. Waiting at Indianapolis International Airport to board a Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 bound for Florida, Baker said she was less concerned about the qualifications than the pay level.
"I wouldn't be afraid to fly with a 25- or 26-year-old pilot, as long as they're licensed and have all their training," said Baker, 56, Zionsville. "But I don't think the pay is right at all, with all the schooling they go through to learn to fly, and all the responsibility they have."
Piloting a commuter airplane never has been a way to wealth, even today, when the planes have gotten bigger. Republic Airways became the No. 2 passenger hauler at Indianapolis International in recent years by flying routes for major lines at lower costs.
But the 33-seat turboprops once familiar to Indianapolis commuters hopping to Chicago on Chicago Express have given way to sleek regional jets such as Republic's 50- and 70-seat twin-engine Embraers. They look like scaled-down Boeings and can reach Texas from the East Coast in three hours.
With the bigger planes, pay for pilots on the regional lines has increased. In the late 1990s, regional airline captains with 10 years of experience averaged $68,000 a year, compared with $84,000 last year, said pay expert Kit Darby of Aviation Information Resources in Atlanta.
Still, turnover continues. Lower pay causes many pilots at regional lines to leave after three or four years for the major carriers' bigger jets. Pilot pay is geared, in part, to aircraft speed and weight, Darby said, so the major carriers often attract the more experienced pilots from the regional lines, especially now with pilot hiring on the upswing.
Despite the pilot turnover, regional carriers aren't keen to raise pay. If they do, they can price themselves out of business.
"Republic is a young, fast-growing company," Cordle said. "They're able to grow market share because regional airlines have some of the lowest labor rates in the industry."
Republic earlier this month said it would add 670 pilots in the next two years because of new business flying throughout the nation for larger carriers, including Continental, Frontier and US Airways.
Republic will hire as many as 1,000 pilots to fill 670 positions, expecting about 330 will leave for positions with other carriers and through natural attrition, Republic spokesman Warren Wilkinson said.
"Are we the highest-paying regional airline? No, we are not," Wilkinson said. "Do we want to be? No. We want to be competitive so we can continue to grow the business."
For its new hires, Republic will offer first officers $25,000 to $35,000 in base pay, while captains with four years of experience will receive $70,000 base pay.
Wilkinson called the income midrange for regional carriers and said Republic was attractive as a place to work in part because of its new airliners, culture and lifestyle. Captains can choose the base they want to live in.
Republic pilot David Opwonya agrees. A former flier for Mesa Air and an airline in East Africa, the first officer is based in Indianapolis and said he's not looking to move to another carrier.
"After paying your dues, it's OK to stay and work here," Opwonya said.
Although pay has edged up for the regional carriers over the years, it's fallen among the big airlines. They slashed wages to survive amid fare wars and fuel price crests. United's typical Boeing 737 pilot went from $190,000 in annual base pay in 2002 to $130,000 today, Cordle said.
"I'm not really worried about airline safety in the regional airlines or the legacy carriers," said Cordle, a former pilot instructor. "These planes can practically fly themselves.
"I think where the airlines should be a little concerned is about management's ability to manage morale. Poor morale can lessen the safety margin if you've got guys thinking about making mortgage payments."

Call Star reporter Ted Evanoff at (317) 444-6019.

Apparently pilots are comparable to cabbies!:eek: This story was big enough to make the front page. Hopefully the general public will take note of this. They only want the lowest fare. Too bad they didn't cover how much rest flight crews normally receive.

Fly Safe.
Schmooze:cool:

Last edited:
Warren Wilkinson said:
"Are we the highest-paying regional airline? No, we are not," Wilkinson said. "Do we want to be? No. We want to be competitive so we can continue to grow the business."

Well, at least management isn't shy about their negotiating position...

Lower pay causes many pilots at regional lines to leave after three or four years for the major carriers' bigger jets.

Kit Darby ought to burn in hades for spreading sh!t like that....

"But I think the safety record speaks for itself: We don't see planes falling out of the sky."

Uhhh... actually, yeah, we've seen a couple.

In the late 1990s, regional airline captains with 10 years of experience averaged $68,000 a year, compared with $84,000 last year, said pay expert Kit Darby...

Oh, will his sleaziness never cease?

Incidentally, $68,000 in 1996, adjusted for inflation, is ~$84,600 in 2006 dollars. So the pay has actually gone down, while the capacity of the planes has gotten steadily larger. Nice try, Kit -- you're such an a-hole.

Cordle, a former pilot instructor [says], "These planes can practically fly themselves."

No wonder it's so hard to get salary levels back up, with that being the perception out there. Remind me not to hire this guy's research firm for a salary survey.

:puke:

Thanks goodness I don't work for an "airline" and I'm not an "airline pilot". My pay has steadily gone up and just this past year, took a massive step up.

Yeah, sure the planes can "practically fly themselves". Can the plane do its own preflight. Fuel planning. Program the FMS. Get a taxi clearance. Make decisions.....Remember, flying is a small part of being a pilot. Its the other things that makes one a pilot. The "managing" of the plane, crew, pax. It knowing when to ask for assistance from a private pilot. Its knowing when to divert due to low fuel. Its knowing when to deviate due to thunderstorms.

Flying a plane is more than just "yanking and banking".

Thanks goodness I don't work for an "airline" and I'm not an "airline pilot". My pay has steadily gone up and just this past year, took a massive step up.

Which "airline" do you work for?

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos107.htm

U.S. Department of Labor
Bureau of Labor Statistics
Occupational Outlook HandbookAircraft Pilots and Flight Engineers

Earnings

Earnings of aircraft pilots and flight engineers vary greatly depending whether they work as airline or commercial pilots. Earnings of airline pilots are among the highest in the Nation, and depend on factors such as the type, size, and maximum speed of the plane and the number of hours and miles flown. For example, pilots who fly jet aircraft usually earn higher salaries than do pilots who fly turboprops. Airline pilots and flight engineers may earn extra pay for night and international flights. In May 2004, median annual earnings of airline pilots, copilots, and flight engineers were $129,250.
Median annual earnings of commercial pilots were $53,870 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $37,170 and $79,390. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $26,300, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $110,070.

Latest resources

Back