Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mar

Remember this one?
First things first: I'm not interested in being the go-to man for Atlas Air recruiting and new hire transitions. I just want to offer a little advice to help make the transition a little smoother. I think I might have a couple good points having just experienced the same thing last summer.

Point One: (I was on line for about three months until someone mentioned this little gem to me) If your pattern begins with a British Airways (BA) or Alitalia (AZ) flight you may request a pass from the Atlas Air Crew Travel Dept to travel (non-rev) from North America to Europe. These passes must be requested from the Travel Dept and be approved by the respective airline. I usually use them to travel from SEA, ORD, JFK, or MIA to Heathrow (LHR) or Milan (MXP) as the case may be. Here's the catch: BA will deliver you to Europe to begin a BA flight (but you must have two local nights per British Flight and Duty Regs). Conversely, BA will return you to North America if your pattern finishes with a BA flight. AZ on the other hand will only deliver you to *begin* a pattern. They won't return you on a pass even if your pattern finishes with an AZ flight. But this point may be moot soon as the Alitalia contract is due to expire at the end of June (but is apparently going to be extended indefinitely--for whatever that's worth).

Point Two: Getting to Stansted (STN) from North America. You can travel on a BA pass to LHR or jumpseat on an American carrier (except American Airlines doesn't permit international jumpseat. I found out the hard way). You can also jumpseat (obviously) on Atlas or Polar. There are just a few precious flights from ORD and ATL direct to STN. There are a few more to Prestwick, Scotland (PIK) and several to Amsterdam (AMS). If you travel to LHR there's a bus service (National) that runs a schedule between LHR and STN just about every hour. It costs 20 Pounds (less than $40) for a one way ticket. It can take anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours depending on traffic and routing. If you travel from PIK RyanAir has several flights per day direct to STN. If you travel from AMS I recommend EasyJet. In fact I much prefer EasyJet as they're much more civilized and have no restriction on baggage weight (within reason). RyanAir will limit you to 15 kilos (x 2.2=33#). UPS and FedEx also serve STN but I have no personal experience riding either of them since the CASS approval. Whatever you do, have a backup and leave yourself plenty of time.

Point Three: Crashpads in STN. They exist. I have nothing to do with them. Nothing personal. I'm just sick of living like a college student.

Point Four: Hotels in STN. They exist. They're ridiculously expensive. The Hilton (with a discount) is 70 Pounds (less than $140) per night. The Radisson SAS is 80 Pounds. You can literally walk to the Radisson from the STN terminal. The Hilton has a bus service (every half hour on the quarter hour). Ostensibly, you ride for free *to* the hotel and then pay two Pounds for the return. They never check for a ticket and I never buy the ticket. No problem.

Point Five: Bed and Breakfasts in STN. They exist. I have nothing to do with them. They usually run you about 30 to 40 pounds per night. You get a bed. And breakfast. And you must pay for a taxi to drive 10 miles to the nearest one.

Point Six: Crew Travel and Crew Scheduling record your telephone conversations. Be nice.

Point Seven: STN reserve. Until this latest round of hiring I was second from the bottom of the company wide seniority list. I never had more than three days of STN reserve scheduled and when I did I called up Crew Sked and politely requested that if they had an ounce of compassion in their souls they'd find me a trip and not let me rot in the STN Hilton. And then I got a flight. If you're STN based that doesn't mean you have to live there. Don't freak out and start moving your stereo system and forwarding your mail, you know, unless you're really into fish and chips and warm beer. Whatever.

Point Eight: International cells phones. Nice to have. I don't know much about them. I bought a real basic GSM Nokia and then I bought a SIM card. Cheap. Easy. Piece of cake. Which brings me to my next point.

Point Nine: International calling cards: I use an MCI rechargeable card for a couple reasons. First, Atlas will issue you a company calling card and a list of access numbers that use MCI. It's real simple for me to just dial the access number for whatever country I'm in and then use the appropriate calling card (i.e. personal or company). The catch is that when I have to recharge my personal MCI card I have to do it from the States, they won't let you do it over seas (for "your protection").

Point Ten: The company (with two glaring exceptions) puts us up in either 4 or 5 star hotels. They will cover your internet access if you charge it to the room. This is a very nice perk and I would hate to see it go away since my entire pathetic little life depends on the WWW. I have all of my banking and bills set up on the internet and run everything by remote control. Not only that, but the catering on board is usually first class and I'd hate to see someone screw that up too.

Point Eleven: Short story. When I interviewed last year, a management pilot who no longer works here gave us some advice. He said: If you come to Atlas with absolutely no expectations you'll be happy. He said, This is just one big charter outfit with really big airplanes.

Point Twelve: Like I said, I don't want to be the go-to guy. I'm still learning the airplane and the company myself but if I think of anything else that I think would be pertinent I'll gladly post it. Hopefully some other Atlas pilots will chime in and offer some good advice as well.

Finally, let's talk about rumors. They're outta control. This place is full of them for a lot of different reasons. I have my own opinions about what's really happening and what I read on the internet or what I hear in the crew rooms or the from the company itself. I just try to look at the facts: ACMI is in demand. AMC charters are in demand. The economy is slowly recovering. But fuel is expensive and we operate 30 year old, four-engine jets. Labor contracts are coming due. And every day this company is paying for the mistakes of former management that are no longer here. You fill in the blanks. Good luck. Try to have fun.

I hope this makes someone's life a little easier.

Mike:

Good post, curious as to the " two glaring exceptions ".

Beers on me next time, sorry I had to hang up so fast the other day ( somebody was knocking on the door ).

TP

Paradise and Five Clowns

typhoonpilot said:
...curious as to the " two glaring exceptions ".

Hey Tim. No prob whatsoever. It was nice to talk to someone besides the room service chick :cool:

The two glaring exceptions would be (of course) the Five Towns at JFK and then our "alternate" hotel in Dhaka, The Paradise <something>...I can't remember the rest of the name. Only "Paradise" sticks out in my mind.

See ya next time.
M.

Latest resources

Back