IFR growing pains !

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vavso

I was flying my 3rd ifr flight solo after fearing flying actual for quite some time.... my heading and altitudes were at commercial standards when the weather worsened turning 40 minutes of actual into 1.5 hrs actual . I get to destination airport and am given a hold 10 dme of xyz vor right turns . I am dumb founded not having dme or ifr gps so I ask for delay vectors which was approved The ils I expected was unusable because of interference with apprioaches at a major airport nearby . I was then told to expect the GPS app and after informing ATC unable I took the NDB with circke to land . I did the approach well and landed . Even though I felt I did well I still cannot help feel I was not up to par. I also felt like I may have burdened atc even though they were great and very accomodating .Has anyone ever felt that way when getting Ifr exeperience early on ? I guess in short I am not comfortable with holds in actual even though I know how to do them and fear getting one . This is making me hesitate filing ifr again.Any advice or words of wisdom appreciated

Last edited:
Vavso,

Sounds to me like you did a good job (3rd IFR flight "solo"). It also sounds like you learned a little. Everyone is apprehensive about holds at first. Just keep filing IFR, and studying the AIM. Go out with an Instructor every month or so, and you will get more comfortable. Also, don't go too far out of your comfort zone in regards to weather. You might even give yourself some higher minimums until you have 25 or so hours working in the ATC system. Hang in there, you're doing fine.

Sounds like you handled several unexpected problems well. Don't ever think that you're "burdening" ATC. They're there to assist you. At any rate, you gained very valuable IFR experience from what it sounds like and the next time at it, I'm sure things will go smoother and you'll be a lot more confident from this experience.

Notice how things change when it's actual? The whole ATC system takes on a different attitude. Holds and unexpected approaches or requests from ATC because now they really gotta keep everybody seperated and everybody's actual.

Way different than the vfr training environment most of us get trained in.

Seems almost criminally negligent that some actual isn't required.

nosehair said:
Seems almost criminally negligent that some actual isn't required.

I agree. My first actual ended up being in rain showers at night going into the DFW area. Scared the holy heII out of me. That put my confidence right where it should be. Cofidident, but not cocky. Good job on the NDB. I dont think I would ask for one. I still hate those things. Thank God they're almost gone.

That "hood" during training does absolutely no justice when it comes to flying in actual IFR. It sounds to me like you did a great job handling yourself out there and requested ATC assistance. Just remember, just because you got a rating or certification doesn't mean you're an expert. When I got my IFR rating, I went straight to my training manager at the time and hold him that I think it's a joke that I actually got rated because I absolutely did not feel comfortable flying in actual (having received ZERO actual during my entire IFR flight training). That first actual IFR was an eye opener and made me realized that just because I received the rating doesn't mean squat when it comes to my ability, skills, knowledge, and comfort zone in acutal IFR. The FAA certification to me really means that they are now okay with you going out there by yourself and learn/experience and hopefully not kill yourself and/or your passengers while you're out there.

Keep studying, stay sharp, and stay current and you'll be a lot more comfortable over time.

VaVso,

Nice work, you made it home safe and sound. The dealy vector was the perfect move. If you've never done DME holds go up and practice them.

Elcid88 was right on. Just keep filing IFR, give yourself some high Vis and Celing mins and keep on learning!

Latest resources

Back