If i was an owner

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JPB

There is one thing that would be required from the crew and that is a maximum of 10 hours duty by the end of the trip.
Most guys are on the road 6 to 7 days at a time with a rest requirement of 10 hours/day and no schedule (that's the hard part). That means that you have to eat, sleep, shower and drive back to the airport in 10 hours...no time for exercise or sight seeing:).
It is not unusual to have several 14 hour days back to back. NO ONE can fly safely in those conditions. In my 18 months as a frac. pilot, i have seen only 1 capt. having the courage to raise is voice and turn down a trip...Of course no action was taken against him but the safety call should be made by someone not too tired to make a judgment decision.
I have a new family and i decided to take my career somewhere else. I even had to pay the company back almost 10K to get out. Good thing i was making the big $36K/year with capt pay.
Next time you fly in the evening, just ask the crew if they have been on duty all day...some owners do.
And please do it nicely: Those guys are the nicest, most dedicated pilots in the universe.
But remember that fatigue is the primary reason of aviation accidents.
Last thing: It seems that most guys don't mind getting a tip. I have seen limo drivers making more money on a tip that i was making all day...It's nice to take your family to dinner when you see them.
Be nice, safe and keep the airplane clean.

Last edited:
36K as a Captain? thats pretty **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** sad....

the pay should change, but unfortunatly you knew the pay when you said "Yes" to the job offer....as did eveyone else there....so I would say the chance of a pay raise is slim to none...

Persue other corporate type jobs! they pay much better and many have a far better quality of life!

JPB said:
In my 18 months as a frac. pilot, i have seen only 1 capt. having the courage to raise is voice and turn down a trip...
Your voice counts just as much as his. If you were tired, you could have spoken up too. Sorry you thought you had to leave. Although not a very good market to be doing so. Especially to pay your way out. :confused:

G200,
I bet there are plenty of furloughed guys that $36k would look good to, eh?

I dont think there are too many furloughed corporate guys who would even THINK about taking a full time job for 36K...
airlines...maybe...
do you guys hire them?

any corporate guy out of work can do contract work for 500-1000$ a day...I dont know a single person qualified as a PIC on a bizjet who would work for 36K a year....sad. heck, unemployment pays 440/week near me...

humm...3000/month to work full time...taxes,benefits,401k.....means take home what...600/week??? no thanks....sittin on the couch is better at 440!!
Thats Sad

I do however, have no doubt that his fractional will have no problem hiring and training another guy...heck, at 36K a year they can afford to right?

Gulfstream 200 said:

any corporate guy out of work can do contract work for 500-1000$ a day...I dont know a single person qualified as a PIC on a bizjet who would work for 36K a year....sad. heck, unemployment pays 440/week near me...

You paint a pretty rosy picture. I am sure a contract guy is just covered up with work huh??? What about recurrent training in those jets that Mr. big money contract dude pays for. Many companies insurance require Mr. big money contract dude to be qualified by an approved training facility. I wonder if that costs money???

I came from the corporate world flying for one of the largest companies in the world and you can have it. I learned enough in those two years to know that I will never do that again. But, some people are just good butt kissers..... Enjoy:D :D :D :D

Pay him no attention. G200 just enjoys making dorky comments about others misfortunes. Pretty sad.:(

FL450 said:
Pay him no attention. G200 just enjoys making dorky comments about others misfortunes. Pretty sad.:(

I can see that. That's okay, I have a trust fund that I am sure already makes his puny little corporate retirement look like some kind of worthless second rate hand me down from a long lost relative....:p :p :p

"Last thing: It seems that most guys don't mind getting a tip."

Did a frax pilot really say that? I have never even thought of tipping a pilot. It seems to me that the pilot is a professional and we (American society) generally don't tip professionals. I don't know anyone who tips their doctor, accountant, lawyers. Some professionals would even see a tip as an insult.

theres professional waiters...
professional bartenders....
professional CAB drivers...

all these hard workers get tips.
those guys up front work hard....how are they different? the pilots are professionals at what they do...so are the other 3 professionals i listed.

some of these pilots work hours very similar to some freight pilots out there. and the appreciation for them sometimes dosent reach their ears. theres many of these corporate pilots that would love a tip. (a few i know) It really makes the 7+ day trip worthwhile in the end. i was absolutely fortunate enough to recieve a tip from a STUDENT at one time. i thought...'holy cow, from a student?' and then thought 'what the heck'...and bought a nice replacement lightweight self-standing golf bag for my beat up old clubs (and a nice putter). i still get a good feeling every time i use it cause i know my hard work got me that. and i feel for the better afterwards for a good while. especially after being on the road as many days as they are (specially after their wife just gave birth!) sometimes they need something nice. the tip made me feel that i was indeed doing good solid work and i was appreciated for my efforts.

if youre working in a large pilot group (frax type) the company dosent give everyone 'atta-boys' too much as theres too many of them to give out. so they do it in the impersonal letter to the pilots. hows that help?

a great job makes life good and happy. sometimes after a few years, that good job can wear on you if its a tough one and the end result isnt too good lookin. somethin like a nice tip in the end once in a while can really pick someone up. it dosent always have to be money....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back