Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I guess this means no E170's for Comair!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dvmthwsvan

Canada funds Bombardier jet sale to Delta carriers

Thu May 5, 4:38 PM ET

MONTREAL (Reuters) - The Canadian government said on Thursday it had provided $230 million in loans to Delta Air Lines' regional carriers Comair and Atlantic Southeast Airlines for their purchase of Bombardier Inc. jets.

In a statement, International Trade Minister Jim Peterson said the financing was the second transaction under a C$1.2 billion ($960 million) facility set up by the government in July 2003 to support regional jet sales by Montreal-based plane and train maker Bombardier.

"The sale had been made and we are standing behind our aerospace industry," Peterson told reporters in Ottawa.

Canada provided a similar loan of $150 million to Comair in July 2004 for the purchase of Bombardier jets.

Canada set up the special fund, called the Canada Account, to back its aerospace industry after a bitter trade fight with Brazil over each country's financing of jet exports.

Bombardier, the world's top train maker and the No. 3 manufacturer of civil aircraft, is also the world's leading maker of regional jets, closely followed by Brazil's Embraer SA .

Ottawa's department of international trade said the transaction was structured in accordance with commercial principles and conforms with Canada's international trade obligations.

Funding agency Export Development Canada manages the Canada Account. Transactions under the account require approval by Canada's ministers of international trade and finance. The government assumes the loan risk. (Additional reporting by Luke McCann in Ottawa)

Comair will get some sort of 70 seat jet. The sad part is they would have gotten them with or without the pay freeze.

Too bad. The EMB170s are only ten times more comfortable for pax than the Canadair700.

labbats said:
Too bad. The EMB170s are only ten times more comfortable for pax than the Canadair700.

Since when did an airline give a sh!t about what the pax thought?

Is it me or are these guys reading alot into this. As far as I know ASA is still taking delivery of CRJ's ( I may be wrong) and Comair just purchased 10 ex indepenance CRJ's.......these could easily be the planes that are being financed. Pretty sure the verdicts still out, but I suppose the logical choice fleetwise is a Canadian bird. AD

avrodriver said:
Is it me or are these guys reading alot into this. As far as I know ASA is still taking delivery of CRJ's ( I may be wrong) and Comair just purchased 10 ex indepenance CRJ's.......these could easily be the planes that are being financed. Pretty sure the verdicts still out, but I suppose the logical choice fleetwise is a Canadian bird. AD

I heard that ASA's 40 seaters were going to Comair and the 12 ex Indy planes were coming to ASA.

standaman said:
ASA has 40 seaters?

Yeah, it's a CRJ 50 less 10 seats and a few million bucks. It was Bombardier's answer to the 37 seat jungle jet I think. The airline has the option of purchasing the remaining 10 seats and voila, it's a 50 seater. Externally, you can tell (aside from the obvious tail numbers, I think they're ships 870-880) by the first row window shade that's closed all the time) They're pretty nice, you get to put all your crew bags in these half trunk shaped compartments that occupy the first few rows. I guess it's more for ASA to buy the remaining 10 seats than it is for them to swap/pass/trade them on to Comair for the 50 seaters.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=228739&WxsIERv=Pnanqnve%20PY-600-2O19%20Ertvbany%20Wrg%20PEW-200RE&WdsYXMg=NFN%20-%20Ngynagvp%20Fbhgurnfg%20Nveyvarf&QtODMg=Bggnjn%20-%20Znpqbanyq-Pnegvre%20Vagreangvbany%20%2F%20Hcynaqf%20%28LBJ%20%2F%20PLBJ%20%2F%20PHHC%29&ERDLTkt=Pnanqn%20-%20Bagnevb&ktODMp=Znepu%2017%2C%202002&BP=0&WNEb25u=Wbua%20Qnivrf%20-%20PLBJ%20Nvecbeg%20Jngpu&xsIERvdWdsY=A878NF&MgTUQtODMgKE=Gnxrf%20bss%20sebz%20ehajnl%2007.&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=539&NEb25uZWxs=2002-04-11%2000%3A00%3A00&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=7590&static=yes&width=1023&height=694&sok=JURER%20%20%28nveyvar%20%3D%20%27NFN%20-%20Ngynagvp%20Fbhgurnfg%20Nveyvarf%27%29%20%20beqre%20ol%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=82&prev_id=229243&next_id=226532

Last edited:
I believe $230mil translates into approx 10 new CRJ-200s. This is spread between ASA and Comair. Pretty much chump change in the aviation industry. Waaaayyyy toooo earlier for serious speculation.

Latest resources

Back