I demand first class when Jumpseating on AA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BluDevAv8r said:
Oddly enough...the lead FA was pleasantly shocked when I introduced myself prior to going to the cockpit. She said most pilots don't.
-Neal

I do the same and agree many are surprised (although all seem pleased). It's only common courtesy, but not the usual, it seems.
Along similar lines, it used the bug the sh*t out of me as an F/O, when a jumpseater would come up, make eye contact, and then ignore me until the Cap happened to notice. I extend my hand to the first one to turn around.
I know it's the Capt's airplane, but that doesn't mean everyone else is ignored.

shindler said:
"It's just that it's not in AAs culture to really "pamper" non revs................"

You said that right buddy!!!!!!!
I have been jumpseating on AA for more than 4 years and has been for the most a nightmare. From the unfriendly agents in ORD to the jerks in DFW not to mention few crews.....
I am about to publish a nice and easy airport reading. It' s small booklet full of stories (mostly embarassing) in wich AA folks are the main characters.

Sorry not a flaimbite,nothing personal against AA, just the truth!!!
Careful, man. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, so to speak.

The gate agents usually assigned me a seat in economy, subject to CA's approval, and then upgraded first class full which didn't allow the CA a chance to give me a seat up there. They dead head their own in the back and I only got first class a couple of times when that was all that was left at the last minute. NW also got me in first more than any of the others. I was always happy to get any seat, but things just aren't like they were pre 9/11 when first class was really first class and jumpseaters got treated first class.

shindler said:
"It's just that it's not in AAs culture to really "pamper" non revs................"

You said that right buddy!!!!!!!
I have been jumpseating on AA for more than 4 years and has been for the most a nightmare. From the unfriendly agents in ORD to the jerks in DFW not to mention few crews.....
I am about to publish a nice and easy airport reading. It' s small booklet full of stories (mostly embarassing) in wich AA folks are the main characters.

Sorry not a flaimbite,nothing personal against AA, just the truth!!!

You say it's nothing personal, but I would say that if you write a book highlighting your negative experiences while getting a free ride to and from work, you just might find yourself blackballed.... Sounds like a pretty personal vendetta to me.

P.S> The "truth" is that, while AA has a less than stellar reputation in treating non revs, that tends to be the exception, not the norm. So if in 4 years you've been having bad experiences, I wouldn't necessarily be suspecting AA...

Rudest pilots: United (old United). Rudest gate agents: AA. They hate jumpseaters. Twice I've had AA gate agents simply not give my paperwork to the crew or let me board and I got to watch a not-full airplane push back. Thanks for the ride...not.

Also AA pilots are funny about the JS when they JS themselves, they ignore everyone in the place other than the captain. Ticks off Flight Attendants and Co-pilots when they get brushed off.

StaySeated said:
Go to costco, not sams or walmart because they are the spawn of satan. Buy several bags of chocolate or better yet a few boxes of their truffles. Prior to every trip make two bags filled with enough treats so each fa gets three or four pieces.(if you commute more than one leg to and from work eat all of the chocolates yourself and then quit aviation). After you introduce yourself to the lead and meet the flight crew give the lead the bag-o-chocolate. If she doesn't blow you right there in the galley (the truffles seem to have this affect) you are at least guaranteed a first class seat.

That's what I eventually learned to do also. Didn't see the truffles but I would get a box of Kirkland Trail Mix and a box of shortbread cookies with the fruit centers. I would take enough for both ends of the commute and try to get a packet to each flight and cabin crewmember. Also, one for the gate agent. As a minimum, one for each pilot and the lead FA.

Always introduced myself to the lead ASAP. Once cleared to ride would ask the lead where he/she wanted me to sit and would volunteer to be an ABP. Once I learned to do this, my chances of a seat in First went up considerably.

I have jumped on most all the US carriers and can't really generalize that any one is better or worse than any other overall. Legacy or LCC, makes no difference. The friendlier you are, the better your jumpseating experience will be.

I've jumpseated on AA for the past four years. First of all, just be thankful for any free seat you get these days. Beggars shouldn't be choosers! The loads are now often higher than ever. I've been quite happy to sit in some very uncomfortable jumpseats for 4-6 hours just to get home!

I first started jumpseating on AA just after the TWA "merger." I often went through STL and some of the TWA guys were miffed that they were told they could not upgrade jumpseaters to First. I was told that they were not "allowed" to upgrade jumpseaters without taking the risk of reprisal. Nevertheless, I have gotten a seat in first on rare occasions.

In one case a company non-rev who had to pay extra for the seat in First objected to me getting the seat for free. That caused a little bit of a "urinary olympiad" between the Capt, FAs, and non-rev'r. I tried to stay out of it and just go with the flow. Heck, I had an entire row to myself in the back, so I didn't really care. However, I ended up sitting in First because the Capt wanted me to--so he could make a point. The FAs also wanted me to sit in First, but they were afraid that the non-rev'r was going to write them up. Kudos to the Capt for having a pair.

Just realize a seat in First is more the exception than the rule. Despite the loads showing lots of empty seats in First, and even if the Capt wanted to upgrade you, AA usually upgrades the GIs and Executive Platinum members to fill up First. I can't complain. It makes perfectly good PR and business sense to cater to the paying passengers.

If the Cap. is former TWA, 99% of the time you will be sitting in first.

Latest resources

Back