Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JoeyC

Hey everyone....

Just wondering if I could get some info from some of the Colgan folks on here as to what to expect in training. I interviewed on the 26th in LGA and was hired on the spot for an April 23rd class in Houston.

I'm not too sure what aircraft they are trying to send people to but I have heard a lot about there being a need for Saab FO's. As a matter of fact there is a job fair in Miami this month and I was told that they would be hiring Saab FO's on the spot.

My questions are:

1) Does Colgan arrange for air travel out to the training site or is the FO candidate expected to drive/arrange there own transportation? I live in Ft. Myers, FL and Houston, TX is quite a hike!

2)What are the typical housing arrangements while in training? I know it is double occupancy at a hotel but are the hotels extended stay inns with a small kitchen or just your basic bed, bathroom, and t.v. type room? Eating out everyday could take a toll on the wallet......

3)How is the training broken down? I know that its about 5-6 weeks but what exactly happens in those 5-6 weeks?

4)What is the wash-out rate like?

and lastly..

5) Bases? I know it is an ever changing thing but I figure if I start training on the 23rd then I should be done in June and I would love to be closer to my family in Rhode Island so I was curious about HYA and PVD for a new hire? Any educated guesses as to how possible it is to get them out of training or how long it would take for me to eventually end up there?

Special thanks to Flightinfo.com for all the great info and thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this post and answer my questions. Any info is greatly appreciated.

-Joe C.

congrats....on being hired at Colgan.....to my knowledge they are hiring for the 340's. How was the interview exp....care to list a few things...what to expect

Answers to your Questions

Hey everyone....

Just wondering if I could get some info from some of the Colgan folks on here as to what to expect in training. I interviewed on the 26th in LGA and was hired on the spot for an April 23rd class in Houston.

I'm not too sure what aircraft they are trying to send people to but I have heard a lot about there being a need for Saab FO's. As a matter of fact there is a job fair in Miami this month and I was told that they would be hiring Saab FO's on the spot.

My questions are:

1) Does Colgan arrange for air travel out to the training site or is the FO candidate expected to drive/arrange there own transportation? I live in Ft. Myers, FL and Houston, TX is quite a hike!

2)What are the typical housing arrangements while in training? I know it is double occupancy at a hotel but are the hotels extended stay inns with a small kitchen or just your basic bed, bathroom, and t.v. type room? Eating out everyday could take a toll on the wallet......

3)How is the training broken down? I know that its about 5-6 weeks but what exactly happens in those 5-6 weeks?

4)What is the wash-out rate like?

and lastly..

5) Bases? I know it is an ever changing thing but I figure if I start training on the 23rd then I should be done in June and I would love to be closer to my family in Rhode Island so I was curious about HYA and PVD for a new hire? Any educated guesses as to how possible it is to get them out of training or how long it would take for me to eventually end up there?

Special thanks to Flightinfo.com for all the great info and thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this post and answer my questions. Any info is greatly appreciated.

-Joe C.

1. Colgan will get ya ticket to IAH and back...they are usually good about that

2. Double up with another class mate. I don't know where ya stay in IAH but expect a basic room thing. You won't be staying in Hilton but H-I Express or something roach motelish is more like what you'll get

3. at least 4 weeks ground school with orientation first week, then you will do systems, regs, ops, you'll go thru everything. Then it is off to the Sim in either IAH or STL. If you are in IAH for training, you will be on the Saab.

4. There is hardly any washout rate. Colgan is in desparate need of Pilots and if you need extra training, you will get it. Trust me they need you.

5. At this point, you can pretty much get any base with the attrition, expansion and upgrades going on. Getting PVD or HYA should be no problem but that is subject to change.

That should cover it...

Congrats. If you're going to Houston for training, they'll probably put you in the Spring Hill Suites (Marriott division), which is a great setup. It's next to Hobby Airport b/c the sim/classrooms are located there. Good diner next door to hotel and cool staff will go out of their way for you. PVD is kinda senior for FOs but some have gotten it right out of training. HYA is/might become a Saab base over the summer. (I'd put a note with the bid sheet that you *really* want either base, so maybe they can accomodate you.)

we (Chautauqua) stay in the Springhill Suites at HOU, and we buddied up with some Colgan Saab guys down there, so unless they changed it, that will indeed be your hotel. It is a very nice hotel, with a living room and small kitchen area. Also has a 24/7 shuttle to Walmart and the mall which are only 5 or 10 minutes away.....the downside is the area is fairly ghetto, had a few cars broken into during my 6 week stay there....Good Luck and congrats!

Don't leave the hotel at night. Lots of shootings!
Two people were hog tied and shot in the back of the head when I was there !

Latest resources

Back