• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jspilot

Hey everyone, look at this!!
This is a excerpt from MSN Careers from the MSN home page:

Top Paying Jobs Overall
The jobs that pay the most require at least a four-year college degree. According to the Employment Policy Foundation, the nation's 12 top-paying jobs -- and the mean annual income reported in 2003 (the most recent year data was available) for each -- were:

Physicians and surgeons $147,000
Aircraft pilots $133,500
Chief executives $116,000
Electrical and electronic engineers $112,000
Lawyers and judges $99,800
Dentists $90,000
Pharmacists $85,500
Management analysts $84,700
Computer and information system managers $83,000
Financial analysts, managers and advisers $84,000
Marketing and sales managers $80,000
Education administrators $80,000

Though many of these occupations require an advanced degree, there are jobs at every education level that pay more than other jobs for workers with similar levels of schooling. Here, courtesy of the Employment Policy Foundation, is a look at the best-paying occupations at varying education levels:

Last edited by a moderator:
And almost everyone of them is a knowledge worker, not a skilled trade.

I'm an aircraft pilot and I think they're shorting me about $112K acording to that figure above. Darn!!!!

where do they come up with these numbers? in checking out websites like airlinepilotcentral.com, i am not getting the $133,000 picture that this story is painting. couple that with how i hear real pilots talk about pay, and i disregard this story as bogus. where do they get their numbers at?

Ummm, its probably correct because its a mean.

If there were just four professional pilots in the USA and...
Pilot A makes $300,000.00 a year (old Delta Captain)
Pilot B makes $45,000.00 a year (Regional Captain)
Pilot C makes $25,000.00 a year (Regional FO)
Pilot D makes $18,000.00 a year (CFI / Freight)

The mean (or averge) salary is.... $97,000.00 a year

mean The sum of a list of numbers, divided by the total number of numbers in the list. Also called arithmetic mean (cf Mean, Median and Mode Discussion). median "Middle value" of a list. The smallest number such that at least half the numbers in the list are no greater than it. If the list has an odd number of entries, the median is the middle entry in the list after sorting the list into increasing order. If the list has an even number of entries, the median is equal to the sum of the two middle (after sorting) numbers divided by two. The median can be estimated from a histogram by finding the smallest number such that the area under the histogram to the left of that number is 50% (cf Mean, Median and Mode Discussion). mode For lists, the mode is the most common (frequent) value. A list can have more than one mode. For histograms, a mode is a relative maximum ("bump") (cf Mean, Median and Mode Discussion).

Wow! Would you write my term paper for my master's degree?? You're WAY smarter than I am! I never could keep those 3 terms straight.

Huggyu2 said:
Wow! Would you write my term paper for my master's degree?? You're WAY smarter than I am! I never could keep those 3 terms straight.

Well I am a super genius, and its no problem at all. I actually enjoy helping people like you out!

Latest resources

Back