Hawker 800XP-C Impressions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

A good friend who works for a NE flight department is looking into possibly buying a used Hawker 800XP-C (Collins Equipped). Everyone knows that the baggage space provided is sub-par and annoying (stowing bags in the cabin, etc.).

I know that both NJA and FLOPS use the 800XP-C and have some experience in the aircraft. I'd love to hear overall impressions of the aircraft in terms of flying it, ease-of-use related to Pro Line 21, reliability/maintenance issues, etc. Let's just assume baggage space won't be a big issue in this case.

This flight departement has used Hawkers in the past and they were relatively happy with them. Just like to hear general impressions from those who have flown the newer version with the Collins equipment. Positives/negatives?

I have not had the chance to fly the pro-line yet. I do know they guys that do fly them fly a lot because they never break down. I think partly because they are newer and do not have the wear and tear on them that the older ones do. I do not think it has anything to do with the avionics.

Hmm. I know guys that have have VERY bad luck with mechanicals on low time collins 800s.

Emergency gear extensions, engine failing to light off, avionics failures....

Dep676 said:
I have not had the chance to fly the pro-line yet. I do know they guys that do fly them fly a lot because they never break down. I think partly because they are newer and do not have the wear and tear on them that the older ones do. I do not think it has anything to do with the avionics.

What percentage of the FLOPS Hawker fleet is Collins-equpped?

Any other impressions from 800XP-C pilots?

I would also like to get my hands on the desk-bound (read: Never flown Anything) Avionics engineers that eliminated a rotary tuning knob for the 800 XPC's nav / com radios. Instead of a simple, easy, lightning-quick snap of the wrist to zap in 122.9, I can now stare down at a centrally mounted keypad, and deftly go: tap..tap..tap...tap...tap.

Gotta love "progress".

Latest resources

Back