Going to Sun 'N Fun

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ranger17

I am going to be going to Sun 'n Fun for the first time this year, and I was wondering if anyone had any input as to the arrival procedures. Can you just file IFR and get right in or is it VFR only?? Also any recommended sites to see while we are there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S-N-F

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/content/

http://www.faa.gov/NTAP/NTAP04FEB19/AS04001.HTM

IFR ARRIVALS

Be prepared to discontinue your approach and to enter a VFR traffic pattern for landing sequence. When the ceiling and visibility at Lakeland is reported at or above 3,000 feet and five (5) miles, expect a vector to the vicinity of Lake Parker for a visual approach, following published Sun 'n Fun - Lake Parker Arrival Procedures. Be extremely alert for a high volume of traffic with a wide variance of performance characteristics operating in the vicinity of Lakeland. Pilots retaining IFR clearance until landing must contact Tampa Approach on 120.65 after exiting the runway to cancel their IFR clearance.

This should answer your question, It's not all that difficult VFR just keep your eyes open and follow the guy/gal in front of you.

See ya threre!!!!!

You can go IFR, but I think you will have to cancel and enter the VFR arrival. I dont see any gain to retaining the IFR after you start the arrival.

A few years back, I was heading south VFR to Lakeland, as it turned out Lakeland was IFR and alot of people were diverting to Ocala.

When I got to the FBO, there was a guy that said was holding over the Lakeland VOR for a couple hours and had to finally divert for gas.

I'm not sure if he was IFR with a VFR on top or what, but the times I went IFR down there TPA APP would eventually tell you to intercept the VFR arrival.

The one piece of advice I can offer is, do not get pushed beyond your personal limit. Almost every year there has been fatalities because people are stall spinning becuase they think they cant pass an airplane or dont want to go around.

It is true they dont want you passing, but not to the point that your going to spin the airplane becuase you got stuck behind a Katana going 55 kts.

Also, if you are going to camp there, do it over in the general aviation "parking", not the "camping" area. The camping area is alot more dirty and sandy than the parking area, the only draw back is that the showers are a slight hump from the parking, but conditions are much better, and you are alot closer to everything.

I reccomend parking over by the VOR, its quiet and removed enough from all the loud speakers and its a great palce to watch the airshow.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back