Godspeed, Sparky

moonlight

Flyin' to fund my fishin'
Total Time
The wreckage of Sparky Imeson's C-180 was found today near the Canyon Ferry MT airport, about 25 miles from my house. He departed Bozeman on Tuesday intending to fly to Helena. Sparky didn't make it. No reliable news as to a cause yet.

God bless the man and his family. His books, videos, flying clinics, and seminars have done a tremendous amount of life saving over the past 20-30 years.

troy

Total Time
~500
Killed pilot had been flying to 2007 crash site
BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — A veteran pilot killed in a Tuesday crash near Helena had set out that afternoon to take photographs of a site where he was involved in a crash two years ago, his friends said Friday.
Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board arrived Friday to begin investigating the crash that killed Sparky Imeson, a Helena flight instructor with more than 40 years experience.
Imeson, 64, took off alone from the Bozeman airport at 2:11 p.m. Tuesday. Searchers on Thursday found the wreckage of his Cessna 180 about two miles southwest of the Canyon Ferry airstrip.
Two friends, Gary McDonald and Galen Hanselman, said Imeson had intended to document the site of a 2007 crash in the Elkhorn Mountains in which he was a passenger.
Imeson gave regular presentations on mountain flying and backcountry survival techniques. His friends said he wanted to use the photos in those presentations.
Two days before his fatal crash, Imeson apparently suffered oxygen depravation during a Sunday flight out of Helena.
Flight records from flightaware.com indicate that during that trip Imeson climbed to an altitude of 24,000 feet, where the air is too thin for humans to survive without supplemental oxygen.
After becoming disoriented, he was talked down to a lower altitude by an air traffic controller in Salt Lake City, according to McDonald, who said Imeson likely had oxygen but could have had a problem with his equipment.
McDonald said he was present when the air traffic controller called Imeson’s mother and told her about the incident.
But altitude does not appear to have been a factor in Tuesday’s crash, said NTSB Deputy Regional Chief Debra Eckrote.
“A witness saw the aircraft flying low in the area,” Eckrote said.
24,000 feet in a C-180?

moonlight

Flyin' to fund my fishin'
Total Time
That's not a misprint...his C-180 was turbo'd, and evidently he was that high after doing some work on the plane. I'm not sure why he had hypoxia problems, word has it he had O2 on board.

troy

Total Time
~500
I see...

Sure a shame though. He was a great pilot and teacher.