Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Go for possible Jet SIC and upgrade or get my 500 ME PIC then throw the resume out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

1flier

Got a call today for a position flying air ambulance. Piston twin with fast upgrade potential to PIC in a citation. Not guarenteed of course. Currently, I am flying twin Cessnas, single pilot 135 cargo averaging 20+ hours a week. Pay is about 33-34K, plus with my schedule I have a 2nd job bringing in an extra 28K a year still keeping my weekends off. Upside to staying, can pay off some of the debt accrued from relocating for the right jobs to build the right experience the last couple of years, 250 away from my 500 ME which for some mean nothing, but would open a few more doors than my current time would. Upside to job offer, possible type of the bat in a Citation but pay 25-30 for a twin capt with 6 day a week on call, and 35-40 Citation Co Capt/ 45-55 Citation Captain. Upgrade to Captain within a 6 months or less possible the way the owner is talking and of course relocation again. Any suggestions on the way to go. Go for the potential jet or hang tight for 3 months and roll the dice when I qualify for more options? Current times 2600+, 250 multi PIC, 205 turbine PIC. Everything except ATP right now. Thanks for any positive input.

Unless they are willing to PIC type you in the Citation, I don't think I would go. The owner saying "six months" is just a bunch of words assembled to sell you something. Six months has a way of being never.

Too many operators are looking at the SIC type as a way of luring you into being a cheap seat warmer, so just be careful.

Getting more PIC twin time will never hurt you, but being stuck in the right seat with no PIC type is becoming the "no high school diploma" of aviation.

Hung

I'd stay where your at. 80 hours a month ME time is a good monthly average. You can build your time quickly, save money and hold out for a better job that will give you a PIC type. An SIC type is almost worthless. Just shows you know how to work the gear and flaps. Stay put and wait for something better.

Ahhhh, the citation carrot on a stick, works every time.
Keep the gig flying twins and network your a$$ off at the airports you stop in at. Trust me, we just hired two FO's. The best deal for a company is a guy/gal that can fly an airplane (single pilot freight) but dosn't demand $60,000 first year to leave that cushy 4/4 regional job.
You'll find yourself in the right seat of a jet soon enough.

Go for the PIC, it will give you more options. The pilot shortage is growing and you will have more jobs to pick from next year.

Latest resources

Back