Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gary Kelly announces the next SWA city is...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JayhawkDude

Just happy to be here!
SFO

Southwest today announced our intent to resume service at San Francisco International Airport. While we have not released specific service details or a timeline, we are currently in discussions with the Airport, and we aim to return to the West Bay in a meaningful way in the early fall.
“San Francisco International is the only major Bay Area airport we don’t currently serve, having made a very difficult decision in 2001 to cease service there after nearly 20 years,” said Gary. “Today, SFO has improved operationally and is a more cost-efficient airport, and Southwest is a far larger airline than it was in 2001 and better able to support this type of operation.”
We initiated service at SFO in October 1982 with four nonstop flights to LAS, with direct or connecting service to cities like HOU, ELP, ABQ, and AUS. At the time we ceased service on March 4, 2001, we had 14 nonstops to SAN and PHX.
“The business reasons for leaving San Francisco in 2001 were clear,” said Gary. “Back then, facility and runway constraints meant we could not compete and be profitable, and there was no growth potential beyond the 14 flights we had at the time. Frankly, we had demand at our other California airports that we knew would be successful. It made more sense to leave.
“The Airport Commission, under the leadership of Mayor Gavin Newsom and Commission President Larry Mazzola, has made SFO a more attractive venue for true low-fare carriers like Southwest. Working closely with SFO Director John L. Martin, Southwest was excited to learn of the constructive changes at SFO, so now it makes even more sense to return.”
Today’s announcement does not affect our commitment at OAK, where we have 142 daily departures; or SJC, where we have 76 daily departures.
“Similar to the Washington, D.C., metro area where we serve BWI and IAD; or the Los Angeles area where we serve LAX, ONT, BUR, and SNA; or the Boston metro area where we serve from PVD and MHT; the Bay Area is large enough to support complementary service from three airports. We’ve never questioned that.”
Stay tuned! We will release more details of our future service to SFO in the coming months.

Thankfully, we won't see Nancy Pelosi on any of those flights since she requires a 757 to remind her of how important she is...

Can you say, "Hello Sir Richard Branson?"

I didn't think we would hang around on the sidelines and see if he gets off the ground. We will be there waiting for them if they do get off the ground.

I heard 2 more cities this year. LGA and ??????????

Wow. I'm sure United will welcome us back with open arms.

I predict LAX, PHX, LAS.

Gup

Thankfully, we won't see Nancy Pelosi on any of those flights since she requires a 757 to remind her of how important she is...

We won't see her on us either, you know, since we occasionally have to make a *gasp!* fuel stop.

Oh the humanity!

About a month ago I was in PHX on a turn and they were paging Nancy Pelosi for one of our SWA flights to IAD. I am being totally serious and it really surprised me. I find it hard to believe there is more than one of her out there (thank god).

Latest resources

Back