Funny Gojet sighting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pirep1

So, taxiing out in IAD today, hear a gateway plane ask to turn off into the 30 pad to "slosh" some gas into the other side. They aren't legal to t/o because they are out of balance. Okay, whatever. I thought by "sloshing" I figured he was using slang for crossfeeding or whatever they do in a CRJ. That's where we come taxiing by and got one of the best sights I've seen in awhile. There's this CRJ doing doughnuts in the 30 pad (okay, tight circles) I guess "sloshing" gas to the other tank???? WTFO? I'm not familiar with CRJ systems, but that was one of the most ghetto redneck moves I've seen in awhile. I'm sure the pax were dizzy after their tilt-a-whirl ride! Funniest thing I've seen in awhile. Enjoyed it even more knowing it was GoJet. Please tell me how the CRJ balances it's tanks because if spinning around in the 30 pad is SOP, Canadair should be shot.

The CRJ has a gravity feed valve that is usually checked every flight; occasionally somone (never me I swear) will leave it open and not realize until there is sizeable imbalance. The x-feed pumps are slow so I guess they were trying to hurry things along. I'm curious what kind of announcement they would make to the folks in back for that one.... lol

Please tell me how the CRJ balances it's tanks because if spinning around in the 30 pad is SOP, Canadair should be shot.

Normally we just go find a nice sloped peice of land to park on, like a gully or the side of a hill and open up the gravity crossflow. If the airport is flat, Bombardier installed a special feature that allows us to retract one of the main landing gear while we are on the ground in order to allow us to crossflow the fuel. The airplane just sits there on the wing until you are all done. Works great.

Hope that helps...

usually gravity will do the trick and the heavier side will "magically" flow to the lower side with the gravity XFEED selected on a flat surface.

as for people who "do not notice" it being selected, i guess the switchlight being on or the GRAV XFEED OPEN message doesn't help.

Last edited:
dumb me posted twice, sorry.

Last edited:
The dedicated transfer pump works just fine on the -700. Do the other carriers check the gravity line on the -700? My airline doesn't

After spinning donuts on the pad the fuel wouldn't be reading accuratly, so how would they know when to stop? As others have mentioned, the auto transfer works just fine in the 700

We don't check it at Skywest on the 700/900. Just on the 200. The xflow pump on the 700/900 works great and transfers at a much higher rate than the 200's. Poor passengers... what a joke!

Latest resources

Back