• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For all the "Hard Working" Baggage handlers in CLT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PHL has been good the past few days on the ramp. They are running such lengthy flow times that there were never more than a few planes on the ground at a time. Plus, I've noticed Express is trying to turn over a new leaf there. Supervisors that are visible and get the rampers to do work. Things get done quicker. The lav guy shows up shortly after being called. It hasn't been bad flying in there lately. Anybody else notice this?

Yes, I've noticed SOME improvement. On the Express side, Piedmont has pledged to double the number of rampers and support staff for each gate by the end of the year. Something like as many as 3 rampers per gate up from around an average of 1.5 per gate. I'm afraid, however, that it may be too little too late. You cannot include yesterday (T'giving Day) in your analysis because US Airways had a severely reduced holiday schedule throughout their entire network. It made even the most imcompetent workers seem adequate.

A very special thank you to all of the hard working baggage handlers in CLT. These guys go above and beyond to make sure that absolutely no bags get to where they are supposed to go.

I flew (not non-rev)on US Airways to SAV on 11/21 for a job interview. During my 1.5 hour layover in CLT, I had to gate check my bag due to the stupid no-carry on policy at PSA. Mine and 36 other people's bags failed to make it to SAV. When my bag finally was delivered to me in SAV at 0715 the morning of 11/22, it was soaking wet and I had to iron my suit dry so I could make it to my 0900 interview. I left SAV that afternoon, and of course had to connect in CLT where once again, I was forced to gate check my bag, wouldn't you know it, my bag never arrived in CMH. 2 days in a row, and all US Airways could tell me was that they were still searching for my bag. My bag was delivered to my house at 1030 this morning, so I decided to call US Airways to see if they were going to do anything about my ruined suit and some other items that were ruined in the wet bag. They were still trying to locate my bag that was lost on the way to SAV. Does anyone at this company (non-pilot of course) have a clue as to what they are doing?

End rant.

You make US fly.

I can't wait to get 900's. 90 plane-side checked bags is so awesome. Plus, I get to fly 90 people around at 50 seat wages, what a treat!!! Pirate booty what do you think?

A very special thank you to all of the hard working baggage handlers in CLT. These guys go above and beyond to make sure that absolutely no bags get to where they are supposed to go.

I flew (not non-rev)on US Airways to SAV on 11/21 for a job interview. During my 1.5 hour layover in CLT, I had to gate check my bag due to the stupid no-carry on policy at PSA. Mine and 36 other people's bags failed to make it to SAV. When my bag finally was delivered to me in SAV at 0715 the morning of 11/22, it was soaking wet and I had to iron my suit dry so I could make it to my 0900 interview. I left SAV that afternoon, and of course had to connect in CLT where once again, I was forced to gate check my bag, wouldn't you know it, my bag never arrived in CMH. 2 days in a row, and all US Airways could tell me was that they were still searching for my bag. My bag was delivered to my house at 1030 this morning, so I decided to call US Airways to see if they were going to do anything about my ruined suit and some other items that were ruined in the wet bag. They were still trying to locate my bag that was lost on the way to SAV. Does anyone at this company (non-pilot of course) have a clue as to what they are doing?

End rant.

go deal with the BSO at the airline. i'd bet just about everybody on this board has had something like this happen at LEAST once.

other than advice people could give ya, sorry chief

go deal with the BSO at the airline. i'd bet just about everybody on this board has had something like this happen at LEAST once.

other than advice people could give ya, sorry chief

I have already dealt with the people at the BSO, and they are still trying to locate my bag that was delivered on Thursday morning. I called them again today to see if they were going to do anything, and they told me that they haven't found my bag yet! Gotta love the communication at US Airways!

I have already dealt with the people at the BSO, and they are still trying to locate my bag that was delivered on Thursday morning. I called them again today to see if they were going to do anything, and they told me that they haven't found my bag yet! Gotta love the communication at US Airways!

I know they lose a lot of checked bags, but gate checks should only go in the back or the bottom and come right back to the door when you get there....pretty hard to lose em in the 50 feet between the door and the cargo compartment....unless you didn't have a yellow gate tag on there and then you're lucky if the danged thing doesn't wind up in moscow. Did the bag get put back there without the tag? I only ask because that's the only way there's any excuse for it not to be waiting at the door when you get off the plane. Without that all holy yellow tag, TSA (ehem...kneejerk reaction morons) actually prohibits the rampees from returning your bag to anywhere but the baggage claim at THAT airport...if you were connecting they aren't gonna just know where to send it. You would have to go down to the claim, get it, and go back through security to meet your connection.

Last edited:
You want a short answer? No, for the most part they are worthless lazy people. I feel for you. How do you think those of us trying to catch that last flight home for the night feel when we wait forever to be parked because of how lazy they are? You get what you pay for, you pay minimum wage for a low class gang banger and thats what your going to get.

Absolutely true. That goes for PHL and LGA as well.

Try finding someone to stand outside doing manual labor all day and night for $9 an hour. Oh, and that doesn't have any felonies and can pass a drug test.

Good luck.

When they finally start paying people more than they can make doing less work elsewhere, then the airlines will have something going for them.

Latest resources

Back