Followup Procedure Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

Two other questions I've been wondering about lately.

1. Special Departure Procedures. For example, Newark, NJ off runway 22R has a special dept procedure: eng failure prior to 400' MSL, make an immediate right turn to heading 250.

When doing an arrival briefing going into Newark, my captain told me I forgot to include the special departure briefing for rwy 22R (as we were planning to land rwy 22R). However, my thoughts were that special departure briefs were for departures only and would not apply to single engine missed approaches. Your thoughts?

2. Telling ATC when leaving an altitude.

Let's say we're at FL 280 and ATC says "Pilot's Discretion, cross XYZ at 12000." Let's say you want to wait two more minutes before the descent. The two minutes pass and you start your descent. I just begin descending but I've been getting chewed out by captains because they told me that I need to let ATC know that I've begun my descent to meet the crossing restriction.

I'm thinking that ATC gave discretion and knows what altitude we're at and what altitude we will eventually go to. Therefore, we wouldn't need to inform them. Further, we're in a radar environment and the leaving altitude applies for more of a non-radar environment.

Your 2 cents?

2. Telling ATC when leaving an altitude.

Let's say we're at FL 280 and ATC says "Pilot's Discretion, cross XYZ at 12000." Let's say you want to wait two more minutes before the descent. The two minutes pass and you start your descent. I just begin descending but I've been getting chewed out by captains because they told me that I need to let ATC know that I've begun my descent to meet the crossing restriction.

I'm thinking that ATC gave discretion and knows what altitude we're at and what altitude we will eventually go to. Therefore, we wouldn't need to inform them. Further, we're in a radar environment and the leaving altitude applies for more of a non-radar environment.

Your 2 cents?

The AIM is your friend

5-3-3

a. The following reports should be made to ATC or FSS facilities without a specific ATC request:

1. At all times.

(a) When vacating any previously assigned altitude or flight level for a newly assigned altitude or flight level.

Latest resources

Back