FedEx Internal Applicants

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CreamPie

Hi Folks...I'm a new user...been watching for a while. I've been motivated to write by a recent thread regarding "Fedex Handler Jobs" (FedEx Internal Applicants) and the subsequent responses. I have direct, firsthand knowledge of the process. I cannot divulge more about myself...I know that's lame, but that's the way it is.
Unlike other companies, including UPS, the FedEx internal hiring program is a concrete process designed to promote from within those applicants qualified for positions at FedEx. The concept (promote from within) is a cornerstone of the FedEx business model and the greater philosophy of People-Service-Profit (PSP). Without arguing the always argued merits or lack thereof of PSP, one thing stands true to this day....for every employee of FedEx Express (Even Crewmembers), Every Job in the Company is available to you given you meet the minimum qualifications and time requirements for the position. In fact, most management (including flight management), most professional, skilled labor, and virtually all other non hourly postions are filled from the ranks of FedEx employees. Hourly positions (like handler jobs and couriers) are also posted companywide for lateral transfers. For example, you're a courier in Los Angeles, a courier job is posted in Vegas that you want....you fill out an online form in about 2 minutes, have a manager sign off that you are without outstanding disciplinary actions and meet time in position requirements (typically 12-18 months), and before you know it you're working in Vegas. I would encourage any non-believers reading this message to check the Bios of the Corporate Officers. Any skeptical FedEx pilots ask your Ramp managers, Senior Managers, jumpseating Directors or anyone else at the company what their background is. FedEx prefers to hire from within, period. Aircraft Mx and Crewmember positions are the only 2 large operational groups at FedEx where employees are typically hired externally only due to experience/specialized training requirements.
An internal document called "Career Opportunities" is published each friday online for FedEx employees. Jobs listed include everything from handlers to Station Managers to Senior VPs to SIMULATOR INSTRUCTORS, CORPORATE PILOTS, and (my personal favorite), CREWMEMBER, FLIGHT OPERATIONS. Get ready for this folks, because many of you will not believe it... but if you are qualified for a posted position at FedEx, FedEx policy is to interview you, period. Jack Lewis has no say in whether or not you interview. As an internal employee, it's not up to him. They don't "take a look" at your package and decide whether to call you in. As long as they continue to post Crewmember postions, which occurs the first friday of every month, they are required to interview qualified applicants. Having said that, Lewis will have the final say in whether or not you are selected, giving your package (and all others) the final seal of approval before you get the class date call.
The other thread talks about "squeaky clean records", race problems at the hub, your manager's critical glowing referral, the need for pilot sponsors, etc..... Ladies and Gentlemen, this is what motivated me to write. The process is to print a short form called a "Job Change Application" Its takes about one minute to fill out your name, a job code and title for the position you are seeking. You hand it to a manager who checks a box to say you meet time in service requirements, a box to say you appear to meet the requirements for the positions, and a box to say he is recommending you for the job. There are 5-7 lines available if they want to comment further (wholly unnecessary).
This form is sent to Memphis, and you are called in to interview. At the interview your employee records will be available to interviewers, who will question you about sick leave, absences, and to the extent legally permissable, injuries. These events, while they may prevent you from landing the job, will have no bearing on your selection to attend the interview, unless your manager has taken disciplinary action against you which precludes his recommendation.

Some notes here:
*If, in the period of one year, you don't see yourself keeping a pretty clean record, then why bother. FedEx gets a year to take a look at your work ethic, and if it's poor, you wrote your own ticket.
*Pilot recommendations (or sponsors) will help you at the interview, but have zero influence on an internal applicant's selection for interview. If you are a qualified internal applicant, you will interview.
*If you show up to interview with low time, a poor record, and no pilot buddies, you prob just wasted a good year of your life.
*the hub in Memphis is only one work location, and with it's unique peculiarities there may in fact be obstacles to advancement. (although MANY FedEx pilots started there) Outlying stations (the "field") may work better for you.
*another posting described a 10 year former employee who had trouble getting an interview. Key word:former The day you leave FedEx you lose all "rights" to the internal process and you're back in the general hiring pool. There is currently no formal process at FedEx Flight Administration to recognize former employees years of service.
*Sim Instructors have three year commitment before getting a line number. Couriers have a one year commitment. Pay is roughly the same.

In closing, for any of you that may have read that far, I would like to address other users who say come up with a plan that has you flying. If you are, like most pilots, wisely seeking a job at any major airline, it's a good bet you will not benefit from delivering FedEx letters, and I wish you all the best in your continuing quest to make it to the "show". However, if you are seeking a career at FedEx, there is a program in place that has delivered many, many line pilots to Flight Operations from other divisions at FedEx. It may not have you flying, but do your job and stay out of trouble for a year and you will find your way to the top of a stack of thousands of hopeful applicants. It is a way to GET you flying. It's not for everyone, and nobody wants to throw boxes for a year, but in the long run it could be a great move. And by the way, we haven't even begun to talk about maintaining currency or building time WHILE working at FedEx....but guess what, lots of pilots figured out a way and are enjoying the fruits of their labor right now. Take a look at a FedEx bidpack for any airplane and note the employee numbers that are out of sequence with the rest on the seniority lists. These are mainly internal applicants or former employees who found their way into Flight Operations over the years. For all of you, I've enjoyed this board and will go back to watching from the sidelines. Thanks.

Last edited:
Creampie,

Thanks for your reply. These are the kind of answers I was hoping for. I am trying to make an informed decision to improve my career. I want to keep flying at my current airline while working for FedEx as a handler, if it is possible. It sounds like it may be with the work schedule they have. Thanks again for the response.

Worked for me....People think ur crazy right up to the day you land a FedEx job when nobody else is hiring... had 1800 hours flying jets and about 400 driving a Fedex van when hired in 98.

Only 1800 hours when hired? Must be a USAFR guy?.....timing is everything!

A serious question: Can you factor .2 per drive (sortie) in the truck?

great post cream pie.

im currently a mgr for DGO within Fedex Express, and can vouch for everything he says. My question to you Cream Pie is--

what can I do as a current employee to fly for Fedex? Do you by chance know the minimum requirements? Im going to check first thing Monday when i go in, but didnt know if you knew off hand.....

The requirements as posted on the FedEx site:

- Commercial Pilot Certificate with Multi-engine and Instrument rating (without limitations)
- Current ATP Certificate or written
- Current FE Turbojet Rating or written (FEX or Basic/turbojet)
- Must pass FAA mandated drug screen
- Recency and type of experience is considered
- Meet requirements for and currently hold First Class Medical certification
College Degree from an accredited college or university
- Eligibility for rapid visa issuance, issued by offices in the United States to fly to any FedEx destination.
- Ability to obtain clearance from United States Postal Service for handling or access to U.S. mail, which includes FBI fingerprint check, and candidate must have resided in the United States for the last five consecutive years (except for U.S. military assignments)
- Eligibility for issuance of US Security Clearance
- 1500 hours total fixed-wing time as pilot-in command (PIC) or first officer (SIC) including a minimum 1000 hours PIC in fixed-wing jet, fixed wing multi-engine turbo-prop, or combination thereof.
Note: PIC for this purpose is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls.
Note: FedEx considers only pilot time in fixed wing aircraft toward minimum qualifications. This does not include simulator, helicopter, flight engineer, bombardier, navigator, RIO, EWO, WSO, NFO, or Special Crew.
- All certificates and ratings required to be U.S.A. FAA issued

Last edited:
F-15.Ramps said:
The requirements as posted on the FedEx site:

- Commercial Pilot Certificate with Multi-engine and Instrument rating (without limitations)
- Current ATP Certificate or written
- Current FE Turbojet Rating or written (FEX or Basic/turbojet)
- Must pass FAA mandated drug screen
- Recency and type of experience is considered
- Meet requirements for and currently hold First Class Medical certification
College Degree from an accredited college or university
- Eligibility for rapid visa issuance, issued by offices in the United States to fly to any FedEx destination.
- Ability to obtain clearance from United States Postal Service for handling or access to U.S. mail, which includes FBI fingerprint check, and candidate must have resided in the United States for the last five consecutive years (except for U.S. military assignments)
- Eligibility for issuance of US Security Clearance
- 1500 hours total fixed-wing time as pilot-in command (PIC) or first officer (SIC) including a minimum 1000 hours PIC in fixed-wing jet, fixed wing multi-engine turbo-prop, or combination thereof.
Note: PIC for this purpose is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls.
Note: FedEx considers only pilot time in fixed wing aircraft toward minimum qualifications. This does not include simulator, helicopter, flight engineer, bombardier, navigator, RIO, EWO, WSO, NFO, or Special Crew.
- All certificates and ratings required to be U.S.A. FAA issued

so for someone still on their private, what would be the longest of those criteria to obtain? any way to fasttrack them or not? Just debating whether or not to move to Florida to do one of those all inclusive 'get er done' schools or do it on the side with my current job at fedex.......

Typically, the hardest thing to come by is the 1,000 hour PIC requirement followed by the 1,500 total/ATP.

As far as a way to "fast track it", perhaps one of our civilian background brethren might speak to this better than I.

IMO, moving to Florida is always a good idea!

Good luck to you.

F-15.Ramps said:
Typically, the hardest thing to come by is the 1,000 hour PIC requirement followed by the 1,500 total/ATP.

As far as a way to "fast track it", perhaps one of our civilian background brethren might speak to this better than I.

IMO, moving to Florida is always a good idea!

Good luck to you.

wow, forgive my being "green behind the ears" but when you say, 1000 hours PIC, would that mean id have to have 1000 flight hours logged as the Pilot in Command? And is this going off, for example, it takes a Delta flight 3.5 hours to get from LA to Dallas, so that would be only 3.5 hrs of flight time toward my 1000 hours needed? If thats the case, oh boy, this could take some time, that looks like a HUGE task.............

Latest resources

Back