FedEx Future hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

slowdryver

Just passing the word along from the Systems Chief Pilot.
The website for applying has been closed. Not fair to take the money when they know there will not be any more hiring in the near future.
Oct. classes have definately been cancelled and the Sep. class postponed.

His best guess would be to hire 100 or so for attrition next year. Also in the mix are 77 guys/gals out on mil. leave.
Currently there are 8600 apps on file with 2/3's of them qualified.
We will have 85 in a pool soon.

That was his best guess for now, keep the updates coming though.
Good Luck,
slowdryver

Thanks for the good info. Those 85 in the "pool" are part of the 100 next year?

I had thought 250 next year. Does this mean no further expansion?

Thanks

I imagine the 85 in the pool would be the first ones hired since he also mentioned that anyone who has not started the interview process yet would probably not start until summer of next year at the earliest. He also stated that his crystal ball is fuzzy, so you never really know what's going to happen.

For the furloughed guys and gals, don't get your hopes up at FedEx. He mentioned that we have been burned in the past when they got recalled, so they are leary of them now. Sorry.

Summer of next year????? Shoot man, what's going on at Fedex all of a sudden!

I hope all this is subject to change or something.... oh well.. we'll see.

Even though we're still undermanned in many seats, the bean counters figure they can make it up with volunteer / draft / voluntary vacation buyback etc. But as the Chief Pilot also mentioned, that only works for so long before more bodies are really needed. Also, things could change very quickly. I guess it's kind of a trade-off, the company has always been very conservative on the hiring numbers and very careful not to overhire like many of the other majors who hire right up to the furlough. But that doesn't change the fact that it sucks playing the waiting game to get in the door...

Yeah, it reminds me of last year when I almost had my foot in the door at American and SLAM! it was shut with my toe in the door!

Oh well, I hope they have a tough time getting overtime and vacation buybacks!

i was hoping the rumors of international postal/17 more md-11's would lead to a significant increase. like he said, no crystal ball. i am sure it is a day to day thing.

i'd be surprised if everything is covered from draft/overtime/etc. from the rumor mill on the florida 727 incident, the fatigue factor/late night seems to contradicts having people pick up a lot of overtime.

at least no cut-backs and furloughs!!

-swimmin'

Draft and volunteer are sensitive subjects at times at Fedex.

On one hand--the free will idea. Fly what you want, earn what you can....you are master of your own fate. Work hard and earn money...its the American way.

Another thought--some say it discourages a "properly manned" airline, slows upgrades, and plays into mgts hands. Your insights into the fatigue thing are also valid--hard to claim "fatigued" when guys jump all over overtime trips. However--as anyone at FDX can tell you, all trips are not created equal. Some are cake, and some, well...a bit tough on the body. Volunteer only for "easy" trips or when you are well rested...

Yet another school of thought--we shouldn't do it, but there is no point in stopping it now...wait until contract negotiations bog down then "slow down" and fly only contract min.

You can start a real furball with this on a flight or crewbus....I would ask Profile or other guys who have more FedEx time than me to weigh in with pros and cons. I'll defer to those guys as I roll along my probation year...still learning....

Good luck to all poolies...

AlbieF15 is right on target. There is no simple answer to the volunteer / draft question. You have guys who hate it and guys who don't mind it, and they are both union supporters. The bean counters look at it as a way to save money. I've even heard the rumor that they have a set percentage of flying (I have no idea what it is), and as long as draft / volunteer is less than that percent, they are saving money (our draft / volunteer flying gets paid at 150%). Once they go over that percentage, it becomes cheaper to hire more pilots. Once nice thing about an undermanned airline is that there is less of a chance of furlough, so when you do get here, odds are you won't have to worry about furlough, at least not as much as some of your passenger carrying buddies. Our system form and our contract also makes it more difficult to furlough. All of which are definite pluses.

Hopefully we will see hiring come back to what it was right after the new year. From what I've seen in the past, there is always a high number projected and a low number projected from two different sources and the answer is usually somewhere in the middle, so don't be discouraged by the 100 number, I would hazard we will be hiring more than that. Good luck to all.

I would think that before FEDEX ALPA goes into section six with management, that they will want a well staffed airline, otherwise they will be paralized.

Latest resources

Back