Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PHX767

it's a dry heat
This subject has been on another thread, but I wanted to get some more response on the issue.

It was brought up that FDX will not consider furloughees except from USAir.

My contact at FDX says that there was a memo stating the rumors about not hiring furloughed pilots was untrue due to potential lawsuits. The new hires may require signing a letter giving up any previous seniority numbers but that has not been determined.

At AA, the company must offer a furloughed pilot recall even if he has sent a letter "resigning" his rights. I understand each airline may be different.

It's no wonder that the FDX management would be hesitant to hire a furloughee.

Has anyone seen the memo mentioned above?

PHX767 said:
This subject has been on another thread, but I wanted to get some more response on the issue.

It was brought up that FDX will not consider furloughees except from USAir.

My contact at FDX says that there was a memo stating the rumors about not hiring furloughed pilots was untrue due to potential lawsuits. The new hires may require signing a letter giving up any previous seniority numbers but that has not been determined.

At AA, the company must offer a furloughed pilot recall even if he has sent a letter "resigning" his rights. I understand each airline may be different.

It's no wonder that the FDX management would be hesitant to hire a furloughee.

Has anyone seen the memo mentioned above?
If I were in your shoes, I would consider your contact at FDX (that said there was a memo stating the rumors about not hiring furloughed pilots was untrue...) to be unreliable. FedEx HAS hired furloughees in the past and gotten burned. The "burning" occurred AFTER they had ostensibly resigned their seniority at the airline that furloughed them. There is nothing that can prevent that from happening again short of NOT hiring furloughees again.

You have astutely observed that "FDX management would be hesitant to hire a furloughee." Such is confirmed in the e-mail sent to FedEx pilots (if your contact is a pilot, he should have received it) from the Chief Pilot. He said:

"We still aren't interviewing furloughed folks from anyone but U.S. Airways…and we're cautious there too. Hopefully the economy will keep picking up and everyone will be employed again soon. The best way to get your pal hired if he's furloughed is for him to be employed by FedEx somewhere or fly for another airline/commuter outfit. The website will be open soon for both new apps and updates. I'll tell you when it happens."

I have no idea why working for a commuter outfit would make any difference - - seems to me AA could still recall you. And the website has already opened for new apps and he didn't tell us. But aside from that, I believe what he said is the reality that must be dealt with.

Good luck.

IMHO

If you are on furlough from a Big 3 (DAL, AA, UAL) I think it would be safe to say that you have about a 1% chance of getting hired at FDX. Nothing personal and I know there are some really great guys/gals out on the street that deserve better BUT there are just too many quality and qualified apps on file right now. I would even guess that there are at least 10,000 apps on file with FDX that the company wouldn't have to worry about someone being recalled.

So what would you do?? Spend the time and money and train someone who you know will stay OR take the chance and roll the dice on someone that could possibly have an option later down the road to leave??

So what your saying is that management is not convinced that FDX is a good enough place to work that they would stay over going back to an airline that just laid them off for several years. Kinda funny. I know UPS got burned on the same type of deal in the mid-90's. Most of the Delta guys they hired went back. Of course UPS couldn't believe they weren't the carrier of choice for a professional pilot. Oh, well.

Wise Guy said:
So what your saying is that management is not convinced that FDX is a good enough place to work that they would stay over going back to an airline that just laid them off for several years. Kinda funny.
Basically, yes.

The pilot probably had a choice on the front end, and chose American or Delta or Northwest, or whoever - - for whatever reasons, and they don't really matter. Fast forward to the point where the same person is faced with the choice of sticking with FedEx where he's sitting sideways and flying at night and enjoying 13 months of seniority on a substandard pay scale, or going back to the job he left flying the right seat of something during the day on the 4th year of seniority of an industry-leading pay scale. Why wouldn't he choose again the same path he had originally chosen?

I'd say there's a persuasive argument in favor of the latter choice.

I certainly understand why management would be hesitant to hire a furloughed guy from a big major. They have been burned by pilots with no integrity that lied about their intentions. Unfortunately, it comes with the environment we are a product of. Many Pilots seem prone to misstate their intentions in order to get a job.

My point is, if their policy is not to hire those furloughees, why not be up front about it and state that before I gave them fifty bucks?
There is a section on the app where you answer if you are furloughed, who from, and are they still operating or not. If there had been a hint that "AA, DAL, and UAL furloughees need not apply", I would have understood completely and saved the money.

I guess honesty is lacking on both sides of the equation.

Okay, this dead horse has been beaten enough. Thanks for the honest input and reality checks.

PHX767 said:
My point is, if their policy is not to hire those furloughees, why not be up front about it and state that before I gave them fifty bucks?
There is a section on the app where you answer if you are furloughed, who from, and are they still operating or not. If there had been a hint that "AA, DAL, and UAL furloughees need not apply", I would have understood completely and saved the money.

I guess honesty is lacking on both sides of the equation.
Excellent point. I didn't realize you had already applied, and I thought the policy against hiring furloughees was pretty widely publicized.

I guess you can do one of two things. You can hang tight and hope they change their minds, in which case it's good that you got your application in.

Or, you could write a polite letter explaining that you have just found out about their discriminatory policy about hiring, and would appreciate a refund of your $50 application fee. Furthermore, you'd appreciate it if they could publish their discriminatory policy on the application website so that other people would not be duped into throwing away their money. :)

Well, OK, maybe a third - - just write and politely ask for your money back. ;)

Or, leave your app in, go get hired by a commuter, and keep the app updated. Ya never know...

Again - - Good Luck to you, whichever way you choose to go.

TonyC,

Hope that you picked up on my tounge firmly in cheek. If you think FDX has substandard pay scales, you should check out UPS's "hidden" B scale. Your 4 year DC10 FE's drag down more than our right window seat guys.

Regards, WG

TonyC said "Why wouldn't he choose again the same path he had originally chosen?

I'd say there's a persuasive argument in favor of the latter choice."

Actually one factor that might be against returning to the original chosen path is age.

I'm 45 years old, and only had 10 months of seniority at UAL when I was furloughed. If I was hired by any airline now, I have a very good case to stay there until age 60. Realistically I will not be recalled by UAL for many years, maybe not for another 6 or 7 years. At that point I would be 51/52, and I would not want to start all over again at UAL.

I may have thrown $50 away by applying to FDX, but you have to be in it to win it, and to me it's worth the chance. I've still got 15 of my best years to give 'em.

Good luck all,

Biplanepilot

Biplanepilot:

I have to agree with what you are saying. Two years of Delta senority did not keep me from being furloughed. Today it seems as though Delta management would rather take the airline into BK than to recall. After furlough I could have just rolled over and waited for a recall, but living in Memphis provided me an opportunity. I got a job at FedEx throwing boxes. This work is the hardest I have ever done, the pay is the lowest I have ever earned, and the racial tension is unreal. But, working this job for over a year now does qualify me for a preferential interview for internal employees. If a job results out of all of this, then the broken left wrist, broken right thumb and head wound will all be worthwhile. I want to be at FedEx, I am now bleeding purple, and I wanted to demonstrate my love of aviation and my desire for a career at FedEx. I do not want to just give up.

Latest resources

Back