Explain why rationally...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASA_Aviator

So here I am, listening openly. I will dispense with my normal anti-union attitude, and listen to your points. Read my points, please, then reply to them with your own in a civilized manor. Those "VOTED IN FAVOR" people need not apply.

1. Let's assume that Brian LaBrecque has been hamstrung here. SkyWest and the board have told him that he has given all he can give, and he can't give no more. Let's assume that the board just really feels that if ASA wants to strike, let it strike, go out of business, and get absorbed by SkyWest. After all, wouldn't that be easier and less costly than watching it die a slow death? Given that situation, how is it in our best interest to force this to a strike?

2. Now, let's assume that we get a leading contract. How can it be in our best interest to cost the most out of any other regional, when it is very clear that Delta is going for the lowest bidder? Does the union really want to price itself out of the market?

3. Does the union truly represent me, the line pilot? It seems to me that there is a huge disconnect between what the union is doing, and what a lot of pilots want. Why can't we, as a pilot group, tell the union that we want to take a closer look at the company proposal, and maybe vote on it?

4. Why can't we take the current proposal, accept it, and put into the contract that if the market turns around suddenly *which it is likely to do eventually* within strict parameters the contract rates may be renegotiated. So for instance if Mesa or Chatauqua renegotiates in their contract and gets an awesome rate, we can demand a renegotiation of our rate as well. It seems we are on the backside of the curve here, and instead of demanding so much initially, we should work towards being in the ball park as time goes on.

Anyway, I welcome your comments.

ASA, this is a pilot board stop dealing in reality.

2. Now, let's assume that we get a leading contract. How can it be in our best interest to cost the most out of any other regional, when it is very clear that Delta is going for the lowest bidder? Does the union really want to price itself out of the market?

Two reasons:
1. ASA/SkyWest have the right to 40% of the Delta growth flying under the terms of the agreement we signed.
2. ASA/SkyWest have the right to underbid any other airline's bid for future flying.

Crew costs are only 30% of the total cost to move an airplane. You make it sound like if we're 3% above another pilot group then all of a sudden ASA will close its doors, when there would only be a 1% difference in cost.

3. Does the union truly represent me, the line pilot? It seems to me that there is a huge disconnect between what the union is doing, and what a lot of pilots want. Why can't we, as a pilot group, tell the union that we want to take a closer look at the company proposal, and maybe vote on it?
This quote in particular makes me think you're a management shill. I've never heard a line pilot in the crew lounge say that ALPA is not representing them.

The pilot group has already told the union that they want to have nothing to do with the company proposal by the Wilson Polling data. Just because you may like it does not mean the rest of the pilot group agrees with you.

4. Why can't we take the current proposal, accept it, and put into the contract that if the market turns around suddenly *which it is likely to do eventually* within strict parameters the contract rates may be renegotiated. So for instance if Mesa or Chatauqua renegotiates in their contract and gets an awesome rate, we can demand a renegotiation of our rate as well. It seems we are on the backside of the curve here, and instead of demanding so much initially, we should work towards being in the ball park as time goes on.
There is more wrong with the company proposal than just the payrates. I want nothing to do with this current proposal, and neither do the pilots that I've spoken with. There's a lot of hidden poision pills in there that aren't obvious but will burn us just the same.

You also say that the market has not turned around... what newspapers are you reading? Maybe you missed the fact that ASA was the most profitable airline next to Southwest.

Also, management would never agree to a payrate renegotiation strategy like you talked about because their goal for a contract is to lock in our pay and benefits for the next 4 years. If we have a clause to increase our pay based on another pilot group's contract, then our payrates aren't known and management can't effectively bid on future business. Plus, why would you want another pilot group to do the job of negotiating your pay for you?

Latest resources

Back