Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smoove Ride

Love Man
Anyone here interview and/or get hired lately? Just wondering what is considered competitive times over there.... thanks, -Smoove.

Got called for an interview a while back; they want you to pay your own way to DXB. I think a lot of folks are bailing out of there.

Last edited:
Anyone here interview and/or get hired lately? Just wondering what is considered competitive times over there.... thanks, -Smoove.

Emirates is taking one new aircraft per month for the next 7 years. They are planning on at least doubling fleet size in that time to up to 150 aircraft. All widebody, by the way. So the short answer is, " yes, they are hiring ". The numbers seem to stay pretty consistent at around 200 per year. Competitive time would be at least 1000 hours in any of these types: 737-300 and higher, 747, 757, 767, 777, Airbus 310, 320, 330, 340, MD-80/90, Bae-146, and a few others. Unfortunately ( and I keep pulling my hair out over this ) they don't hire many people who only have RJ time. I'm hoping that will change, but as long as they get guys with the aforementioned types they will stay with that as the min qualification.

Got called for an interview a while back; they want you to pay your own way to DXB. I think a lot of folks are bailing out of there.

True, but they do pay for the hotel and your food for the entire time you are here. Six on one hand, half a dozen on the other. In the States airlines generally pay to get you there, but then you pay the rest. The reasoning Emirates uses is to see that you are serious about the job and not just looking around. For what it's worth, they start you on full pay from the day you leave the States to come to Dubai, even though your class might not start for a couple of days after your arrival.

Some guys are leaving to go back to the UK or elsewhere. Expat living isn't easy and EK did mislead some people on early commands so that has resulted in some unhappiness. The falling U.S. Dollar over the last few years has really hurt the projections some of the Europeans and Aussies made in deciding to come here. We just received an 8% pay raise, not enough to cover the fall in the Dollar, but at least it is a step in the right direction.

TP

Last edited:
I got contacted for an interview a couple weeks back. Haven't set it up yet, and not sure if I will since I have some other interviews coming up here. It sounds like a great deal, just not 100% sure I want to leave the US for good. My experience is there, especially with the int'l flying and the heavy type, I think that is what they want.

I got contacted for an interview a couple weeks back. Haven't set it up yet, and not sure if I will since I have some other interviews coming up here. It sounds like a great deal, just not 100% sure I want to leave the US for good. My experience is there, especially with the int'l flying and the heavy type, I think that is what they want.

It's a big decision to move over here and spend any length of time. One very important point is that once you reside out of the USA you will not be qualified to work for Fedex and I think UPS since they are both now requiring 5 years of continuous residency in the USA as a prerequisite to getting hired. Honestly, if I was under 35 and had a shot at Fedex, UPS, jetBlue, Southwest, or a few others I would make those a higher priority. A lot depends on what your family wants as well. Contact Buford ( here on Flightinfo ), he is a fellow ATA guy who just started last month. He had lived here in Dubai before so knew a lot more than most about what he was getting into.

What are their crew bases (jr/sr)? How about schedules, benefits and pay?

Go to www.emiratesgroupcareers.com , most of the info you are seeking is on there. Dubai is the only crew base. No possible way to commute. Pay starts at close to $60,000 for a first year F.O. and goes up 3% per year plus any additional raise the company might make to the basic pay. That is tax free by the way. Medical and Dental cost about $37.50 per month for a couple. Haven't see the deduction from my pay yet with the baby, but I think it is a little more. No co-pay and no other fees for the most part. EK has their own medical clinic for Pilots, FAs., Mechanics, and Management. The standard of care is pretty good with doctors from Australia, Belgium, England, Zimbabwe ( she is the best in my opinion ), and a few other places. One dentist from the States is a good guy as well. Schooling is subsidized for up to three children. 42 days of vacation per year. Staff Travel includes one free firm round-trip to your home country every year. Otherwise they use an ID90 and ZED system for other carriers and a decent system internally. Housing is provided by the company ( 3 bedroom apartment for single or married no children and villa/townhome if you have children ). That is a lottery; some guys get good places and others ones that aren't so good. Electric, Water, etc all paid for by the company. You can also opt for a yearly payment and go buy or rent your own place. Furniture provided for you accomodation or you can opt for a one time payment of about $8000.

Hope that helps,

TP

EK called me for an interview about two months ago but I turned them down because I didn't want to pay my own way to DXB. My buddy got hired in the right seat and in his contract it actually states he will be upgraded in three years or else he'll be pay protected as a captain after three years.
I've spent some time in DXB on layovers, it's one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the middle east but it may not be for everyone. As an American it maybe tough to be in the middle east right now.

My buddy got hired in the right seat and in his contract it actually states he will be upgraded in three years or else he'll be pay protected as a captain after three years.

Have you seen this contract or did he tell you that ? To the best of my knowledge no written promises are made, only verbal projections that are subject to change.

I've spent some time in DXB on layovers, it's one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the middle east but it may not be for everyone. As an American it maybe tough to be in the middle east right now.

As an American I wouldn't go around waving the flag, but I haven't encountered any ill will among the people I come into daily contact with. A lot of our cabin crew are from Middle Eastern countries and it always surprises me when they say how much they like the USA or how they were just there on vacation, etc.

TP

Latest resources

Back