• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle Flight 3008

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why did the captain do the takeoff and initial climbout? Was the FO new and the captain required to do the takeoff per Eagle's SOP's? The report also say that while the captain transferred control to the FO after takeoff, it was the captain who recoved the aircraft in the descent.

Just curious.

A few months ago climbing from 15,000 to 17,000 over the DelMarVa we were getting light to moderate but it was very tenacious. Boots would blow but werent getting clean breaks. Ice looked like it was sticking in patches on the wing. We were right at the tops and can see blue sky. I elected to try FL190. FO was flying and as he started the climb (AP off) started getting a vibration. Saabs dont climb well above 12000 feet or so as it is and with A/I On it is really a dog especially when full but this thing didnt want to go anywhere. Everytime he tried to put some back pressure to climb the vibration came. I took the controls and the nose was very heavy as if the elevator felt jammed or something. We took an immediate descent to 9,000 and as the warm melted the ice the plane flew smooth and normal. Possible elevator stall condition? Could that be why he got the stall so quick? What he saw on the wings means more on the stab.

Boot check is required prior to each flight with the timer deferred (XJ Mel).

xjcaptain said:
No actually there are no restrictions other than the need to use the manual system rather than the continuous or one cycle positions run by the defered de-ice timer.

If the engine anti-ice is not turned on, it could eventually cause vibration and surging as ice builds up inside engine intake (causing autoignition to kick in). If you throw prop ice and poor boot performance on top, I can see how the airplane balance could get out of control.

FC

Flying-Corporal said:
If the engine anti-ice is not turned on, it could eventually cause vibration and surging as ice builds up inside engine intake (causing autoignition to kick in). If you throw prop ice and poor boot performance on top, I can see how the airplane balance could get out of control.

FC

That could certainly be the case, when I said that there were no other restrictions, I was refering specifically to the inop de-ice timer which is for the de-ice boots alone. If the engine anti-ice was not selected on, thats an entirely different issue.

FO 4 Life said:
They didn't get too slow. The aircraft apparently rolled 93 degress and pitched down about 55 degrees. The NTSB is trying to duplicate the condition, but apparently the sim only lets you put 600 pounds of ice in the airframe. The approximate amount of ice picked up determined by the Feds is 3000 pounds in less than 5 seconds causing the tailpane to stall. Nice Monday morning QBing.

That's a boat load of ice! Any specifics about airspeed, auto-pilot vs hand flown, and FD mode if any at the time of the incident?

Sounds like the crew did one hell of a job!!! Kudos! Of course no one died so you won't see it in the USA Today. Just more crap about labor concessions.

FO 4 Life said:
.....not to be released...sorry

3000 lbs in 5 secs?! Is it scientifically possible? It's equivalent to asking 17 pax to sit down on vertical stabilizers within 5 secs.

If they did get that how could they've recovered? 3000 lbs is almost half of SF340 payload and I doubt it did immediately snap out when the a/c descended.

Nah! There's got to be more to the story (fuel imbalance, one side boot inop, new FO/CA, etc.)

Latest resources

Back