• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta's Future

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks General. Glad to hear Delta is commited to growing the 100 seaters at mainline and that could fuel their overal network strategy. Economically would it make sense to go down to the EMB195 when accounting for training costs, spare parts, etc as opposed to keeping the bottom limit at 120 seats or whatever a 737-7 carries? I would rather see Delta flying down to 75 but what are the economics in that?

...and I'm not sure Jet Blue can make money once the discounts of being a new market entrant are factored out of the equation. Delta would not even get the same discounts JB gets (or used to get) and what about that AirBus? Candidly, AirTran makes more sense if Delta wants a 100 seat aircraft that bad.

Thats a good point regarding Airtran with the exception that the Government would cry foul in reducing competition so severely in ATL. Not to mention this wouldnt help Delta's NY presence any. Not a bad thought though as far as knocking off some competition and gaining access to some 100 seaters!

Thats a good point regarding Airtran with the exception that the Government would cry foul in reducing competition so severely in ATL. Not to mention this wouldnt help Delta's NY presence any. Not a bad thought though as far as knocking off some competition and gaining access to some 100 seaters!

Oh God no!!! Keep AirTran my Airtran...

Here's more info on a possible replacement for the 737. This was written almost a year ago. In the near term I dont see this as anything to talk about regarding Delta in the next five years other than they could hold onto the MD 80's until then waiting for this replacement that would cover a range of seats from below 100 to above 200. http://www.flightglobal.com/article...up-737-replacement-studies-by-appointing.html

The artist rendition is similar to what Bombardier's C series is proposed to look like. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...m=10&hl=en&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-44,GGLD:en&sa=N

My contacts speculate a lot about a 100 seat aircraft order with Boeing, or Embraer and rumors of a new boeing product based on 787 technology adapted to an aircraft that would keep Embraer out of Boeing's turf in the future.

(IMHO a 737 replacement is too far out and there are not many E190 types floating around to be bought) A JetBlue merger is a possibility, but turning that into a profitable operation would be difficult. Folks probably already take JB to JFK and get on DL flights to some degree.

I can't imagine Delta running a CRJ program with the 90 seaters. My crystal ball has those airplanes going to Comair to increase Delta's asset value coming out of bankruptcy and ASA staying put at 80% of DCI flying from ATL. DCI is already up against scope limits, but will be adjusted to remain within limits based on the mainline fleet. DCI is starting to get fixed and ASA's ATL ramp operation is running better than it ever has.

Replacing the MD88 fleet would require a lot of payments and my guess is that lease rates on MD88's are very cheap. The airplane is still pretty efficient and NorthWest has proven the airplane can go forever.

Where is General Lee, the 737 twins and 707 when you need them for the latest on Delta's design for World domination?

Last edited:
Where is General Lee, the 737 twins and 707 when you need them for the latest on Delta's design for World domination?

Hey, agree or disagree with what I post, I never try to pump things up more than they really are. I call em like I see em, good and bad.

Last I have heard, Delta is pushing Boeing real hard on a new narrowbody aircraft. I also hear Bombardier is pushing Delta real hard to be the launch customer for the C series.

I would expect some more orders for the 737-700. I would also expect us to convert some more options to firm orders for the -800.

787, who knows, but I would be very surprised if we don't order it.

To make things simple, as far as domestic goes, there are a lot of routes we would love to bring back to the mainline......we just don't have the airplanes. Short term, better to operate them with DCI than to give them up.

Watch the economy and stock market though. If we are entering another recession, you may see all the majors put orders on the back burner.

No C-Series any time soon

Bombardier Announces CSeries Decision
Resources shifted to regional jet and turboprop opportunities
CSeries efforts to continue with reduced team
Montréal, January 31, 2006 – Bombardier announced today that present market conditions do not justify the launch of the CSeries program at this time. The Corporation will now reorient CSeries project efforts, team and resources to regional jet and turboprop aircraft opportunities to address regional airlines’ future needs in the 80- to 100-seat aircraft market.
The majority of the CSeries employees will be redirected to the development of these regional aircraft opportunities. A small team of employees will remain with the CSeries program to further develop its business plan, with emphasis on including other partners, particularly in fast-growing major aerospace markets.

Yeah they did a 180 since that announcement first quarter 2006. Here's something more recent:

Bombardier Updates Market on Status of its CSeries Commercial Aircraft Program
Montréal, January 31, 2007
  • Development of CSeries aircraft family continues; discussions with limited number of international partners progressing
  • Next update on status of the program to be provided in late March 2007
Bombardier confirmed today that it will continue to refine its CSeries business plan. The program's team continues to optimize the aircraft configuration to meet customers' requirements for a more economical, flexible and passenger-oriented airliner. The new target date for entry into service is now 2013.

"The decision process related to the launch of an aircraft program with more than a 20-year lifespan takes time and requires a well-defined business plan to ensure the program's long-term success," said Pierre Beaudoin, President and Chief Operating Officer, Bombardier Aerospace. "As we have previously confirmed, the CSeries plan includes international partnerships, and discussions are progressing. We continue to see the lower end of the 100- to 149-seat market as a segment with a solid potential. We will provide the next update on the status of our CSeries aircraft program in late March 2007."

New developments under consideration include increased use of composite material for the wing and fuselage and the next-generation engine technology, which could yield up to 15 per cent better fuel burn than the existing technology on aircraft in production today.

Heightened customer and supplier interest confirm Bombardier's belief in addressing the lower end of the 100- to 149-seat market segment, estimated at 5,800 aircraft over the next 20 years.

About Bombardier
A world-leading manufacturer of innovative transportation solutions, from regional aircraft and business jets to rail transportation equipment, systems and services, Bombardier Inc. is a global corporation headquartered in Canada. Its revenues for the fiscal year ended Jan. 31, 2006, were $14.7 billion US and its shares are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (BBD). News and information are available at www.bombardier.com.

Check out these pics of the CRJ -

http://www.crj.bombardier.com/CRJ/en/multimedia.jsp?langId=en&crjId=1000&mmId=_01

Specifically Economy Class CRJ 705 1,and 2

There were never MILFs with legs like this when I was on one of these pain-tubes. And people weren't smiling..why? There was 50% less leg room than they are advertising. The airlines take an aircraft with potential and cram too many people in it. I hate these things. There I said it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back