Delta j/s story

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dvmthwsvan

Let me start off by saying that i was born and raised in the southeast and ever since i was young and throughout my years of flying i have looked up to and admired Delta pilots. With that being said i was amazed today by the disrespect and humiliation by one of them. My wife and i are in ATL trying to non rev. As the magic 8ball would say "outlook not so good". Amazingly one seat left for the two of us. i ask if the j/s is open and gate agent said yes so i took it and we both were very excited to make the flight as the rest of the flights were oversold for the rest of the day. My wife goes back and sits down and i wait at the cockpit door for the crew to finish a checklist. The captain then turns around and i ask him if it is ok, i would like to j/s with them today. He then says to me "oh, I dont think we have time since it is so late. When the gate agent said we have a comair jump seater i thought you were in the back" (number one, i am in the cockpit ready to sit. number two, sitting in the back is nonrev'ing not j/s'ing) So i tell him no that my wife got the last seat and i needed the j/s. i then asked him flat out, so your telling me i can't j/s. At this point i believe he had all intentions of declining me the j/s until i mentioned my wife in the back. Realizing that at that point the FA's and gate agents would find out what he had done he starts yelling at a voice the FA's not only can hear but i am sure the first few rows of fist class can too, "OK, I AM GOING TO SAY I CAN'T STAND YOUR COMPANY, COMAIR! I AM GOING TO ALLOW YOU TO SIT HERE BUT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SAY ONE WORD!" Shocked but still keeping my cool I tell him fine with me. Normally i would not put up with this but the first flight of the day was cancelled and the rest were overbooked as I said. It is my wife's spring break and this is our only option for a much needed vacation from her work. So I try to get the seat down and can't. This was the first time i have j/s on a MD80. I then, breaking his rule, ask. He turns to the F/O and says "WILL YOU SHOW HIM HOW TO WORK IT. I HATE HAVING THESE STUPID COMAIR JUMP SEATERS" The F/O being the hospitable one then gives me the j/s briefing and helps me out. i could see the embarassment in his face for the way i was being treated. Well, after all that was said and done we were on our way only to have to return back to ATL for MX. After we got off in ATL i then shook the F/O's hand and told him thank you. He then pulled me aside in the jet bridge and appologized for what just happened. Now that's the Delta pilot i had looked up to for years. Not this jackass in the left seat. I told my wife the story and we just decided to postpone our vacation a day instead of wait for them to fix the MX issue. So now my question, i am relatively new to Comair, and have j/s only three times now. this is the first time something like this has ever happened. Should i expect this attitude or is this an isolated event. Just curious because next year i am planing to commute out of ATL and cannot put up with this every day. Thanks for any input, and many thanks to the F/O today.

Dave

Should i expect this attitude or is this an isolated event.

My first take this is an isolated event!

I j/s Delta quite a bit out of ATL and although I'm with XJT and not Comair, I have never been treated with any disrespect. Now, occassionally when I j/s on Continental, I get some minor joking to semi-rude comments, but nothing to the level you describe. We are after all the same to CAL as you are to DAL.

Don't let that stop you from jumpseating. Just make a note of the CA's name a send a message to your j/s cordinator about it.

Sorry to hear about your expreience but DL is not the same airline it was 20 years ago.

Vladimir Lenin said:
lol, general is having stool problems,
try metamusil, old man

It wasn't the General. He is limited to gear up, flaps up, shut up. ;)

Report this to your union

This needs to be reported to your union jumpseat person, with the date and flight number. Your J/S coordinator can talk to the Delta ALPA J/S person and that person will hopefully talk to the captain with the bad attitude.

This Delta Captain may not like Comair for what ever reason but that doesn't mean he can get away with treating you this way.

Jumpseating is a two way street. If one group of pilots abuses the privilege they can loose the privilege.

COEX-FO said:
Sorry to hear about your expreience but DL is not the same airline it was 20 years ago.

ROGER THAT!

C'mon General, fess up.

The stress of knowing Delta is parking 26 planes this year and probably more next year as Delta connection ADDS 30+ aircraft over the same period is too much for some to bear. I would expect more of this.

Last edited:
Dave,

Semper is right...press on. There are a few of these folks in every crowd. Sorry you had to encounter one at DL ( although, calling the JS co-ord is a good idea ).

Whatever is driving this guy has nothing to do with you or Comair, but you know that already. Keep riding the DL jumpseat as this will likely never happen to you again.

In the process of mistreating you, if the guy raised his voice, he'll likely have embarrassed the company as well. The MD80 cockpit is like a megaphone that blasts all sounds ( even CAWS warnings with the door closed ) back through first class.

I guess no one wins in this deal, huh.

Don't for one second accept the behavior of that jackass Delta captain. You need to speak with our JS coordinator ASAP to report this incident. if you need a number, let me know.

Latest resources

Back