Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Whirlwind

Fling-wing pilot
Was out flying yesterday in the 172, beautiful day for crusing around, punching holes in the sky (abit slowly), having a blast.

Was flying north near a small, uncontrolled airport passing about 2 miles to the left of it when I see another airplane flying to the South headed right for the airport. I'm making calls on the CTAF and don't hear him so I ask on the radio who's landing at the airport.

No reply, and he isn't decending either. He is flying 1,500ft AGL without saying a word on the radio, isn't listening either because I call up two more times without a reply (yes, I was on the right freq, double checked). He didn't land, he flew directly over the runway at 1,500ft AGL without a single radio call, passed me going South without a care in the world...

Gave me a case of the creepy-jeebies...

How about you guys (and gals), any interesting stories of other airplanes not doing what you'd expect?

WhirlWind

Um...

Having spent some time flying NORDO (no radio) in planes that don't have electrical systems to support it, I would not consider myself in any of the three categories you mentioned.

Rather, I respect the traffic patterns, keep watch for other aircraft (see and be seen) and follow the rulebook.

As to flying over the center of an airport - there is almost no safer place - I can watch all the traffic in the pattern, I am tactfully away from the folks flying upwind, downwind and base (regardless of whether they are flying close or 747 type patterns). In this circumstance, I'll usually fly 500ft over the highest traffic pattern altitude.

When I'm in the cherokee flying with a radio, I often find myself shaking my head in disbelief when I hear the "Anybody in the pattern for xxx airport, please advise" callout. If I was in the Cub with the windows open enjoying pure bliss, I would be "looking" for traffic, but I really can't advise you of anything. Heck, I can't even hear my own lousy singing.

That's why the regs are written the way they are. Some people have radios, some don't. Some people have full IFR, some don't. Some people have power, some don't. Reality check, go fly into Cross Keys, NJ or Deland, FL sometime - those bodies going by the windshield are humans jumping out of perfectly good airplanes for the joy of parachuting. Not one of those folks have radioed me to tell me they are in the pattern. How rude! (Yes, I know there was a "jumper's away " call prior, I'm just making a point here about being vigilant.)

Enjoy.

Ok, I suppose anything's possible...

I just figured that if you're not going to (or can't) talk on the radio, why fly over an airport? For the record, this airport has a north/south runway, so he/she flew over the approach and departure ends.

Like I said, gave me a case of creepy-jeebies to just look over and see this plane so close to me without hearing him on the radio. :eek:

WhirlWind

tarp said:

When I'm in the cherokee flying with a radio, I often find myself shaking my head in disbelief when I hear the "Anybody in the pattern for xxx airport, please advise" callout. If I was in the Cub with the windows open enjoying pure bliss, I would be "looking" for traffic, but I really can't advise you of anything. Heck, I can't even hear my own lousy singing.

That's why the regs are written the way they are. Some people have radios, some don't. Some people have full IFR, some don't. Some people have power, some don't. Reality check, go fly into Cross Keys, NJ or Deland, FL sometime - those bodies going by the windshield are humans jumping out of perfectly good airplanes for the joy of parachuting. Not one of those folks have radioed me to tell me they are in the pattern. How rude! (Yes, I know there was a "jumper's away " call prior, I'm just making a point here about being vigilant.)

Enjoy.

Greetings. My first post here:

A simple call to area traffic, in addition to paying attention and following basic flight rules, is just added precaution. If you have the equipment, use it all. If you do get a response (most times I do) then you're already better informed than you were without it. :)

SPiper said:
Greetings. My first post here:

A simple call to area traffic, in addition to paying attention and following basic flight rules, is just added precaution. If you have the equipment, use it all. If you do get a response (most times I do) then you're already better informed than you were without it. :)

Fair enough... :)

It is easy to get spoiled with traffic calls. 99% of the time, traffic is all on the radio, but when they aren't and the first time you notice them is when they are close enough that you can tell that it is a Piper 4 seater, it can be weird. :)

"See and avoid" indeed!

WhirlWind

Latest resources

Back