Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crew Rest Seat Does This Happen At Your Airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank God the MD-11 has a bunk or we would fight this out as well. It seems as though you have to fight for everything these days as there is no honor in airline management.

Do you know if that captain has pushed for a total exoneration?

Not exactly sure of the final outcome. I believe he still lost a few days of pay but was able to pick up a trip and not lose any money. As far as being completely exonerated not exactly sure maybe another CAL pilot on here could clarify.

This captain did say he was going to donate the 10K to a union hostage fund.

All they can intimidate is the Capt. He's the one to make the decision.

Also the rest seat isn't just for the IRO! (At TWA we unofficially called the IRO the "Eater") When the Capt and F/O take their rest they're in that seat also! This is a chicken-s**t, Bull-s**t thing your SOC is trying to pull. Hope none of your Capt's fall for it.

Good point with both my conversation with SOCC and in my ASAP report it referred to as a crew rest seat not an IRO seat.

Care to explain. I thought everybody just luvs everyone over there.

There is Luv and there is luv.

I Luv it here, and most Luv it here. But it is important to comunicate to those who work in offices, the needs of those who work in rooms that move at more than 500 MPH.

We LUV it here. But it isn't perfect. Neither am I. Neither are you. I like working with people who understand this.

Exactly.

Good point with both my conversation with SOCC and in my ASAP report it referred to as a crew rest seat not an IRO seat.

Of course. The whole point of the IRO is to give relief to the CA and F/O during a flight scheduled over 8 hours. (flights over 12 hours; you need another IRO)

So all 3 crew members will have a turn in the relief seat. At TWA the rest seat was 1A. The first thing the "Eater" did upon boarding was grab a couple blankets, 2 or 3 pillows, put them in 1A and throw your hat on top (to keep people from stealing the first two items!)

Last edited:
Of course. The whole point of the IRO is to give relief to the CA and F/O during a flight scheduled over 8 hours. (flights over 12 hours; you need another IRO)

So all 3 crew members will have a turn in the relief seat. At TWA the rest seat was 1A. The first thing the "Eater" did upon boarding was grab a couple blankets, 2 or 3 pillows, put them in 1A and throw your hat on top (to keep people from stealing the first two items!)

These days even your hat isn't safe.

Latest resources

Back