Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
What are some of the different ways that you guys brief your fellow pilots before takeoff, approach, and landing. What information do you cover for each?

I'm only curious after flying with a new captain last week that briefed the above completely different from anything I'd ever heard (a by-product of his many years in another flight dept.) Theres probably no right way or wrong way, but I'm curious to see what you guys got!

Our company policy dictates that for takeoff, the pilot flying covers: V-Speeds and Power Settings, Emergency Contingincies, Review Clearance, and ask if theres any questions.

On Approach: Brief the approach plate, inbound course, initial altitude, fixes, DH/MDA, Missed Procedures, Verify Nav's Set, and Review Weather.

For landing: Review Computed Landing Data, V-Speeds, Make Standard Callouts, Go-Around Power Settings, and Initial Plan of Action if required.

Thats pretty much the routine I go through here at ASU's Mesa pilot development (warrirors, bonanzas, barons). The idea is to prep students particularly for the airlines.
Sounds almost the same for me and you're flying aircraft 5 times bigger than me :)

In the interest of brevity, I use a technique which has fallen into disrepute lately, especially with these new wave CRM types.

Me: "Keep your meat hooks off my machine, and shut up unless I ask you something".
So far, no accidents. How'm I doin ?

We do pretty much the same as user, but no Vspeeds.
I normally cover Clearance, flap setting, airspace (spped after departure), emergencies as per SOP, and runway to come back in case of amergency.

For approach and landing, runway and approach in use, frequency, inbound course, FAF, DH or MDA, missed. If we are in mexico and the approach is more complex, like an arc, I brief more indepth the altitudes and the use of the navs in the plane.

User997 said:
I'm only curious after flying with a new captain last week that briefed the above completely different from anything I'd ever heard.
Isn't anyone but me curious? How different?

Thats what I was thinking. How different can it be. If it's not the standard and its not "sit down and shut up", what is it? There's only a couple ways to skin that cat.

My brief is usually something like this:

This'll be a normal takeoff, standard callouts, flaps (whatever), off runway (whatever), standard emergency brief....anything at all you don't like below 80 knots, call abort abort, and I'll abort the takoff, after 80 knots and below V1, we'll only abort for the 'big 4', engine fire, engine failure, loss of directional control, or inadvertant TR deployment. Should we have a problem, we'll continue runway heading up to whatever is assigned, heading or altitude, also depending on where you are) clean up the airplane, you fix I fly, and we'll come back around for a landing on (whereever is safest for the situation). Anti-ice is/isn't required, radar is/isn't required. Be sure to help me look out for (traffic, mountains, towers) in this area. Any questions?

My brief is very individualized, tailored to each airport we're at. I don't brief V speeds, because that's taken care of earlier in the checklist. My philosophy on a takeoff briefing is, you don't bother to brief the stuff that you do every day. Normal procedures are a waste of time. You brief what happens when something goes wrong, and make sure you brief any terrain, etc. for each individual airport, and what you're going to do if something happens. That's the important part that needs to be understood by the crew.

In my opinion anyway.

Latest resources

Back