• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShawnC

Skirts Will Rise
Congress bans banner towers over major stadiums for one year
Feb. 19 — Congress last week banned banner towers and other aerial advertisers from flying above major sports events for one year. The ban was slipped into the omnibus appropriations bill that funds the federal government for the rest of the fiscal year. The legislation did address AOPA concerns about access to nearby airports, allowing aircraft flying normal traffic patterns to continue using airports near large stadiums.

The provision rescinds for a year all waivers to the notam prohibiting flights within three nm and 3,000 feet of major sporting events at stadiums seating more than 30,000. It prohibits reissuing waivers to aerial advertisers only for at least one year. However, aircraft providing broadcast coverage of the game and aircraft transporting officials and others to the event can still obtain waivers.

"This was a tough one to lose," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. "We had devoted considerable resources to the issue, working actively working with the banner towing community, security experts, the Transportation Security Administration, and our friends in Congress.

"It was particularly frustrating to see what was a commercial issue passed off as a security issue. The major league and collegiate sports interests paid big dollars to lobby for what they wanted."

Read AOPA's statement to the banner towing community.

03-1-082x

My question is why is Congress dealing with an FAA issue. This is something that the FAA should talk to a deal with the TSA and the office of Homeland Security.

Err this really sucks I know that Aerial Signs lost something like $20,000 just for missing the Daytona 500, and the company and pilots are willing to undergo any security procidure nessary.

That rule is F*CKING BULLSH!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this the same instance where the govt. called general avaition an "arsenal of terror"? Get out your "Victory Cigarettes" and have a smoke while the "Ministry of Truth" makes reality seem like it always was.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

The next attacks will not come from the air, they will come from such methods as suicide bombers, car bombs or the very terror we just endured around the DC area with the rogue sniper.

How will our sorely misguided politicians act then once Omar and Abdullah begin exploding in the food court of the local shopping mall or a truck full of astrolite takes out half a city block?

GIV

:mad:

Government Just Dosen't Get It

Wow! I can't believe that the government is this stupid. Politicians aren't elected because they are smart- they are elected because they listen to their completely inept constituents. What business does Congress have regulating a sector of commerce that falls under the jurisdiction of the FAA and the TSA? Security can't be guranteed - and the more we tighten our grip, stripping Americans of their civil liberties and domestic piece of mind - the louder the laughter from Osama Bin laden and his buddies Mohammed Atta and Ziad Jarra. The more we make an idol of security, the more we endanger looking past the real picture- identifying and stopping the clear and present dangers to American citizens in the United States. And you are right GIVJoc, when Mohammed blows up a suburban shopping mall what are they going to do? Ban my generation from crusing the parking lot, conduct unlawful searches and seizures of those entering and exiting the area, and restrict access for anyone who isn't planning on making a purchase? I am 100% behind good ol' Ben Franklin when he said "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

A few thoughts before the men in dark coats drive up to my door in a black car and haul me off for speaking my opinion.

When Banner Tows cut these major sporting event organizers in for a piece of their action, flights will be allowed to resume.

This ban should include ALL aircraft, including blimps. #1 Piss off a major corporation (Goodyear). #2. Stop the aerial footage. If tows are dangerous so is the cameras. #3. Military, law enforcement, and lifeguard flights need to be banned, too. People need to die.

It's the only way to really have a loss that some bleeding-heart liberal starts an uproar over before things will change.

Did you write your congressmen?

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

JediNein said:
Did you write your congressmen?

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Actually I did, in fact I made a forum post here a bunch of people thought I was worring too much, and not supporting our cause for homeland security.

a

Last edited:
Feel good, do nothing

More feel good, do nothing constructive from congress! Just as in the military in the first part of the 20th century, congress is fighting the last terrorist attack as if it is the way they will attack us in the future.

Anyone else feel their freedoms slowly going away in this country, under the guise of "security"?

this legislation has nothing to do with security and EVERYTHING to do with $$$$$.

I wish all banner towing operators well in their new endeavors; congress has said they will not tolerate independent business and must only support the big guys. Maybe the banner companies could all buy camera-equipped blimps....

While I was sitting here considering the silliness of banning these operations, another perspective occured to me.

Some official might be looking ahead a little to a possible scenario. Imagine:

You're at a football game, and a banner plane appears. The owner has just lost a court battle over "free speech" with a local muslim group beciase he didn't want to carry their "message" over a crowded stadium.

What message? Use your imagination. How would "DEATH TO AMERICA" make your kids feel?

No banners, no such problems.

Latest resources

Back