Comments on Commander 112's

piper77h

Total Time
Hi all, I'm debating on selling my Archer II and moving up to a complex, any suggestions?

I've been looking at Commanders, Mooneys and Piper Arrows. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Headwind

Total Time
10000+
The 112 is underpowered. Nice comfortable, but not enough power. If you want a Commander go with the 114. Look at a P or S model Bonanza. They have plenty of room and actually go fast. The older Moneys (pre 201's) don't have plenty of room and only claim to go fast. The Arrow gives little more than you have now.

HEADWIND

ackattacker

Client 9
Total Time
hah!
The 114 is also underpowered. And no support. Go with the Mooney or Piper.

bigD

Total Time
4.9e17
I'm assuming you're looking at a 112 instead of a 114 because of cost. Otherwise I'd agree with the others - get a 114.

The 112 is underpowered, but it's no worse than an Arrow, and it's FAR more comfortable. I wouldn't get an Arrow over a 112, although I'd imagine Commander parts may be harder to find.

As for the Mooney, it depends on what you care about. What model of Mooney are you looking at? What I'd do is figure out how much time you'd save in a Mooney on your typical trip length, think about how many people you usually have with you, and finally think about whether the saved time is worth cramming it all into a Mooney. The Commander cabin is cavernous in comparison, but the extra speed may be more important to you - I dunno.

I personally really like the Commander. It doesn't perform too well, but if your trips are short enough, you may find the nice wide cabin to be worth it.

ultrarunner

Total Time
And while you're doing your research, give your insurance broker a call and ask what your premium will go to when you're sporting that retract.

You have tons of options for a bit more speed, payload, etc....

than just the models you've mentioned.

ps.

I forgot...some of those old 112's and 114's had some spar issues...like they needed to be strengthened....

have someone knowledgable on that airframe to research any plane your looking at carefully...

this goes for any airframe for that matter.

T

TDTURBO

Have you looked at 182rg's? The turbo will do 170kts+ and the normal aspirated version will do 156kts and carry a load 1100NM safetly. They are expensive but so are 114's. You might e able to find a runout for 120k that's is well equiped. Just another thought.

AlbieF15

F15 Ret/FDX/InterviewPrep
Total Time
...or a late 60's/early 70's 210 would be about the same price. They go fast and carry a ton. Lots of mx headaches, so get a good pre-buy by someone who knows 210s.

piper77h

Total Time
Thanks for the quick feedback, I'm not stuck on any of the planes I've mentioned. All of my flights (so far) are east coast. Wv to FL, NJ, NC, SC, PA, GA. (and Oshkosh of course) My biggest payload (3 guys and golf clubs). My Archer has been a great, cost effective tool for both business and pleasure and really fun to fly....but....I'm toying with a faster machine with a little more comfort but really want to stay in the 4 place config.

ultrarunner

Total Time
Piper, if you like what you're flying now, and you want to stay with the Piper 4 place product, I would seriously consider the Piper Dakota.

You get TONS of payload and Power, and a bit more speed. Earlier versions were called Chagers, and that later units Dakota's.

I have flown both and they are very nice performing airplanes, and the costs associated with maintenance would be similar to what you have now, as you'd be staying with fixed gear, etc...

Since payload and comfort are bit on your list, the Mooney isn't gonna do it. They are built for speed, and do that pretty well. I have several hundred hrs. in the 201/231 versions, and they are just too tight for me on long trips.

I have some more detailed info and costs that I'd be happy to send you. PM me your email and I'll get some stuff to you on the Dakota.

Vector4fun

Total Time
Piper,

Depending on your budget, look at the Dakota, the Skylanes (fixed and RG), the 260 hp Cherokee 6, or an early 205/206 Cessna. Personally, a regular fixed gear C182 with one of the O-520/550 engine upgrades is the ideal. Not much more fuel than the standard O-470 unless you really push it hard. More room and lots of payload. You'd have to spend some big bucks to upgrade to anything substantially faster than a big engined Skylane. (around 140 kts) Insurance is going to be steep on a Bonanza at 250 hrs I would think. Older Bzs and 210s can be maint nightmares if not inspected carefully before purchase.

http://www.txskyways.com/182/

Considering you're around the East Coast a lot, I would think a well equipped panel would be more important than an extra 10 kts though.