Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Come work at ASA for 19,000 and no contract--please!!PFTer..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

c-wood75

FEATURE: Regionals scrambling to hire pilots

Charlie Lunan
1/26/2007​
At Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Dan Robertson can’t hire pilots fast enough.
Passenger growth hit 8.2 percent at the Atlanta-based regional airline in the first nine months of last year and its competing against its sister Skywest Airline, where emplanements grew 13 percent during the same period. Together the two airlines carried one of every five passengers who traveled on a regional airline in the United States during the period.
“The key problem is that from September 2001 through September 2005, the number of pilots starting to learn how to fly in the workplace was down 10 percent,” said Robertson. “From 2005 to 2006, it’s down 26 percent. There is just not as many people wanting to get into industry because of all the negative press.”

Additionally, the military is training fewer pilots and retaining more of them with better pay, noted Gary Morrison, program director for CAPT LLC, which operates the Commercial Airline Pilot Training Program in Palm Coast, Fla.
Regional airlines are responding to the tighter labor market by reducing minimum flight hour requirements and recruiting students at leading flight schools more aggressively.
The cycle turns
For Robertson, who has been in the industry more than 30 years, it’s a sign of yet another industry turnaround. And he thinks this rebound has wings.
“It runs in a cycles,” he said of pilot hiring. “What’s going to happen now that the major airlines have costs under control and oil prices are dropping, is that you will see major’s profits rise and then orders for new aircraft. From that there will be massive hiring of pilots, which will create a shortage.”

The turn around is already being felt at flying schools, which are finding it harder to hang on to flight instructors.
“There is a need for more students than we can fill right now,” said James Krzeminski, director of admissions for Airline Transport Professionals (ATP), a flight training school headquartered at Jacksonville Beach, Fla. At a job fair ATP held Jan. 8-9, Trans States Airlines, ASA and Pinnacle Airlines hired 23 out of 25 pilot applicants.
Last year, ATP sent students to the airlines to conduct interviews. Now airlines are sending recruiters to the school and offering students jobs before they’ve graduated.
Graduates of Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Fla., are routinely receiving offers from three regional airlines, said Frank Ayers, chairman of the flight department.
ERAU sold a portion of its flight school operations to CAPT LLC last August so it could focus on its academic programs. Since then, 96 percent of CAPT’s graduates have been hired by airlines, said Morrison. Eighty percent of its students have already been offered jobs.
“That’s pretty unheard of,” said Morrison.
Falling flight hour requirements
To compete for pilots, ASA has lowered its minimum flight hour requirements twice in the last six months. It has gone from 1,200 hours, including 200 hours flying multi-engine aircraft, to 800 and 50 hours respectively. The airline will lower the minimum total time to 500 hours for students who have had advanced jet training in Level 5 or 6 Fixed Training Devices or Level C full-flight simulators
“To my knowledge, they have never been this low,” Robertson said of the minimums.
Regional airlines are playing a key role in lowering costs for major airlines. As major carriers like United Airlines, Delta Airlines, US Airways and Northwest Airlines reorganized in bankruptcy, they secured concessions from pilots. Limits on the size aircraft lower-paying regional airlines could fly were lifted from 55- or 70-passenger to 100-passenger. That cleared majors to shift much of their domestic traffic to newer, more fuel-efficient Embraer and Bombardier jets being operated by regional airlines.
In the first nine months of 2006, emplanements at regional airlines climbed 6.4 percent, despite the loss of Independence Air. Load factors hit a record 75 percent, according to the Regional Airline Association.
Today, it’s possible for someone with zero flight time to enroll in an immersion flight-training program and emerge 14 months later with a job flying for a regional airline.
”I don’t know how it could get much better than that,” said Krzeminski.
FLTops.com’s database shows that on average a student pays $73,490 to attend flight school, including room and board. Students attending some aviation universities will spend twice that amount. (FLTops.com is surveying aviation colleges who offer professional pilot degrees to determine the latest costs.)
Getting ready for the majors
Being hired by a regional airline is often the critical first step in a career as a major airline pilot. Regional airlines have extensive ground school and flight training programs. As a result, they are prime recruiting territory for major airlines.
While salaries for first-year pilots are in the low teens, they rise quickly with each year of experience. When a pilot moves into the captain’s seat, their compensation can rise 30 to 50 percent. Compensation rises dramatically as they become certified to operate larger aircraft for mainline carriers.
Six years from now, the majors are going to be hiring the captains from the regional airlines as first officers,” said Krzeminski.
The only obstacles Robertson sees slowing demand are a merger of major airlines, some cataclysmic event similar to 9/11 or the extension of airline’s mandatory retirement age from 60 to 65.
“We predict that the pilot overage is quickly becoming a shortage,” said Robertson. “It will quickly worsen as Northwest, Delta and United kick in hiring this year.”

I don't know if this kind of press will have much of an impact on student starts. The pereception of something being easy to get actually makes it even less desirable for some. During my post 9/11 flying experience I've met many CFI's who are choosing to pass up the regionals in favor of different career paths. The economics haven't changed but the attitudes of the pilots torwards the regionals has changed a lot especially among the younger Y generation. Pay and QOL haven't really changed I think it has more to do with career expectations. As soon as regionals started becoming career destinations instead of stepping stones is when they lost their appeal. Raise the pay and improve the QOL, and they will come.

Raise the pay and improve the QOL, and they will come.

I couldnt agree more.

This ASA moron seems to think if he lowers the mins, more people will want to be pilots at ASA. NO, it just gives guys who already want to work there, a chance of getting there sooner..

Ever hear of supply and demand? as supply goes down, demand goes up, Give the poor guys a contract and you might get some applicants.

I hope all these regionals come BEGGING for pilots, at dont get any, then pay goes up... this is good news for the regional pilots as a whole, bad news for the Captains that have to fly with these PFT 500 hour pilot boy wonders.

this is good news for the regional pilots as a whole, bad news for the Captains that have to fly with these PFT 500 hour pilot boy wonders.

Ding ding ding..... I know I'm looking forward to taking one into LGA at rush hour, HPN with a poorly plowed runway, or MDW at night.....

Guess that's why they pay me the big bucks.... so I can instruct on top of my normal job.

Yes, I know, I'm whining. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

There is no pilot shortage. Regionals pay less than the assistant manager at Village Inn yet dumb*sses are foaming at the mouth to fly a CRJ.

There is no pilot shortage. Regionals pay less than the assistant manager at Village Inn yet dumb*sses are foaming at the mouth to fly a CRJ.

You're missing the point. They are dipping down lower and lower and the supply is starting to dry up. They can't get people in the door fast enough. Once they've cut the requirements down to the bone they're going to have to start offering incentives. The same market forces that created PFT will work the opposite way.

"
At Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Dan Robertson can’t hire pilots fast enough."
Read as, "can't find enough pilots to come here."

"There is just not as many people wanting to get into industry because of all the negative press.”
Read as, "the word is out about how bad ASA has gotten."

For Robertson, who has been in the industry more than 30 years, it’s a sign of yet another industry turnaround. And he thinks this rebound has wings.
“It runs in a cycles,” he said of pilot hiring. “What’s going to happen now that the major airlines have costs under control and oil prices are dropping, is that you will see major’s profits rise and then orders for new aircraft. From that there will be massive hiring of pilots, which will create a shortage.”
Read as, "but things will never be bad enough for us to offer fair pay and working conditions to keep people here."

Last edited:
Pilot shortage my @ss... Upgrade at ASA is still on the long side of four years. I remember the last time this garbage came up... Then 9/11 happened and ASA got a bunch of lifers.

All the market indicators point to such especially is the 65 rule doesn't go into effect. If it does, the shortage will be short lived and not very severe.

However if it doesn't, the regionals will be up Sh*t Creek as they have to raise costs to lure in and keep qualified [sic] pilots. As the mainlines get costs under control, the regionals will continue to suffer as it becomes more monetarily expedient to fly the jets themselves. The regionals will eventually be forced back to where they should have remained, a Regional feed for mainline.

The caveat to the preceding paragraph is that as mainline pulls in more qualified pilots, the regional cost will drop due to the lower cost of junior pilots doing their time and moving on.

Either way it goes, the next five to six years will be an interesting time depending on how the market fares. Sort of a mixed bag there with some analysts saying the FED will lower the rate late this year. Not a good indicator right now. However, the market is on a much more stable ground this time around with no real discernable "bubbles" anywhere in the economy.

Latest resources

Back