Closest Airports criteria definition, if any?

maremare505

Total Time
Enough
On the AIRBUS A330/A340 Honeywell FMS D/B, the "Closest Airport" prompt 5L key (DATA INDEX 1/2) function provides the bearing and distance to the closets 4 airports based on the a/c's current position. Aside this, is there a specific or a defined airport characteristics criteria applied to those nearest airports displayed. (Eg. runway length, NAVAIDS, services available, etc) or is it as simple as just the bearing and distance to the nearest piece of concrete?

rettofly

Total Time
10K +
On the AIRBUS A330/A340 Honeywell FMS D/B, the "Closest Airport" prompt 5L key (DATA INDEX 1/2) function provides the bearing and distance to the closets 4 airports based on the a/c's current position. Aside this, is there a specific or a defined airport characteristics criteria applied to those nearest airports displayed. (Eg. runway length, NAVAIDS, services available, etc) or is it as simple as just the bearing and distance to the nearest piece of concrete?

Any FMS I have used (CE500 various models and P180 two models) allow programming of at least minimum runway length to filter out non-suitable airports from the "nearest airport" function.

belchfire

unpredictable member
Total Time
9:00am
Those kind of discriminators can be modified by customer order at least on the Boeing/Honeywell system in the programming, much in the same way that a minimum difference can be selected between optimum and maximum altitudes. I'm not sure what the Airbus system can allow for the options in the selections though-like crash fire and rescue availability, are the taxiways adequate, if it is an airport with adequate security and services to deal with the number of passengers carried and a host of other things that would make a particular airport "suitable" to a given airline.

If the fecal matter is truly in the fan (an electrical fire perhaps) a pilot's choices would probably be a good deal less restrictive than corporate level choices-at that point if it's 10 minutes closer and you can get the thing stopped in the available distance who really cares if you can taxi clear of the runway as you don't have an extra ten minutes at that point!

I believe you would have to know what your company's selection criteria are for emergency diversions...

rock45

Total Time
In the event the fecal matter thing is genuinely from the buff (a electric hearth maybe ) an pilot's decisions would most likely be a really excellent bargain less prohibitive compared to corporate degree choices-at there in case it truly is 10 minutes nearer also you'll be able to procure finished. ceased from the readily available space who genuinely cares when you may cab free from the run way since that you have an additional ten moments in the time.I think you May Have to Be Aware of What Your Institution's choice standards would be to get Crisis diversions.