Civilian Tankers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Miami Freight

Would any of you military guys with experience in this mission care to comment on the proposal that this mission be outsourced to civilian airlines? How hard/dangerous is it? Do you think it is viable? If you were a civilian pilot who's company did this what would you consider?
Thanks

I think it would probably be easier to schedule in some situations than working with TACC! I'd be willing to bet the AF would have to do some research and testing to approve any of its aircraft to utilize a civilian tanker. Baseops.net had a link about the Omega Tanker (I think that's what it's called)...pretty interesting to say the least! We'll see what the future holds!!!

It is a reality. Check out http://www.fuelbirds.com/ and/or http://www.omegaairrefueling.com/

They don't have boom capability yet (drogue only), but are planning on installing it to be a competitor in the USAF tanker replacement decision. (i.e. instead of spening big $$$ now in buying new tankers like a KC-767, use this service in mass as an interim measure until the next generation of aircraft (like a KC-787) and more DoD $$$ are available in the future)

Talking to a Navy friend of mine, they love the Omega guys. First, they can actually get a tanker for their exercises (vs. TACC telling them no, all of the tankers are deployed or the crews aren't available because they are at home doing one of their million training requirements like chem warfare training, suicide awareness training, etc. and/or have already been deployed 200 days out of the past 365) Second, he said that they don't have all of the restrictive rules that the USAF tanker guys are forced to operate under. For example, USAF KC-135s don't hot-pit refuel, but that isn't a restriction for Omega. The Omega guys can turn their airplanes A LOT quicker on the ground and get airborne back to where they are needed much quicker. (Remember, every hour spent in the air is $$$ to Omega, vs. every hour spent on the ground is potential lost revenue) All in all, my friend says that they love Omega because they can actually schedule and get a tanker, they get much higher utilization rates out of them when they are there and they are more flexible in how they operate.

Last edited:
Ramp Freeze is spot on with the Omega guys. Their fantastic. Flexibility is not a word in AF vocabulary, but the Omega guys can change plans in a second if you need it.

At first I thought it might not be a good idea, but after reading and thinking about it I think it's great, not only for the reasons above, but because the turnover rate would be alot less, ie: flight deck crew not going to and from the schoolhouse and enlited crew not transferring all the time. Over time the crew would become extreamly seasoned and very proficient.

Would be good fun for a pilot career as well.

I wonder how the liability insurance works. If they're making money then I think it's awesome.

Sound's very interesting. Can you imagine the demand with international costumers with both drogue and boom. Hummm, potential investment. I'd be down with flying for them after I retire.

What does it take to be proficient at that mission? I'd imagine that there is a lot of work for the boom operator but not sure about the crew up front. I think it would be smart for some things like training in CONUS or for ferrying TACAIR long distances. It would take some of the pressure off the military assets. They could even help get the C-17s from coast to coast.;)

Miami Freight said:
What does it take to be proficient at that mission?.;)

Knowlege of military airspace, best airspeeds for different A/C types, when best to start a turn or not, formation flying (the tanker can act as lead for a flight of fighters and take care of all comm, clearences, diplomatic issues for international crossings, etc. ).

looks like airline management doing the pilot hiring:

Omega Air Refueling operates a fleet of B-707 and DC-10 aircraft, currently configured for hose & drogue refueling. Air crew are self-employed contractors, without defined benefits and no monthly guarantees of work.

Bjammin said:
...........formation flying (the tanker can act as lead for a flight of fighters and take care of all comm, clearences, diplomatic issues for international crossings, etc. ).

:confused: Formation Flying? If the tanker is acting as lead and doing all the other stuff (which they'd be doing with or without the fighters) - the fighter pilots the ones flying formation.

Latest resources

Back