Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

puddlejumper

Unemployed /Contract User
I just got a phone call from the nice folks at Million Air MDW informing me that Chicago will be closed to GA air traffic tomorrow, 6/11 from 9am to 12 noon for some VIP visit. This was gonna be my first trip to Chicago, it sure would have sucked if I didn't catch the NOTAM until tomorrow morning before driving to the airport!

Here's the details; the central fix appears to be downtown, just northwest of Meigs.

(Issued June 10, 2003)
!FDC 3/4534 ZAU ZAU

FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, JUNE 11, 2003 LOCAL.

PURSUANT TO TITLE 14, SECTION 91.141 OF THE CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN 30 NMR UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING FL180 OF 41°52'22"N/87°37'28"W OR THE ORD117014.3 FROM 0306111400 (0900 LOCAL 06/11/03) UNTIL 0306111730 (1230 LOCAL 06/11/03), EXCEPT AS SPECIFIED BELOW AND/OR UNLESS AUTHORIZED BY ATC:

A. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS WITHIN 10 NMR ARE PROHIBITED EXCEPT FOR:
1. LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MILITARY AIRCRAFT DIRECTLY SUPPORTING THE UNITED STATES SECRET SERVICE (USSS) AND THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES (POTUS) AND REGULARLY SCHEDULED COMMERCIAL PASSENGER AND CARGO AIRCRAFT ARRIVING INTO AND/OR DEPARTING FROM 14 CFR PART 139 AIRPORTS.
2. FOR OPERATIONS WITHIN THE TFR ALL MEDICAL FLIGHT OPERATION COMPANIES SHALL COORDINATE WITH THE USSS PRIOR TO THIS NOTAM GOING INTO EFFECT TO AVOID POTENTIAL DELAYS.

B. WITHIN THE AIRSPACE BETWEEN 10 NMR AND 30 NMR:
1. ALL AIRCRAFT ENTERING OR EXITING THE 30 NM RADIUS TFR SHALL BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR VFR FLIGHT PLAN WITH A DISCRETE CODE ASSIGNED BY AN AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL (ATC) FACILITY. AIRCRAFT SHALL BE SQUAWKING THE DISCRETE CODE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE AND AT ALL TIMES WHILE IN THE TFR.
2. ALL AIRCRAFT ENTERING OR EXITING THE 30 NM RADIUS TFR MUST REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC.
3. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING WITHIN THE 10 TO 30 NM RADIUS TFR AND OPERATING AT ALTITUDES OF UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING FL180 ARE LIMITED TO AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING LOCAL AIRFIELDS AND ATC MAY AUTHORIZE TRANSIT OPERATIONS. AIRCRAFT MAY NOT LOITER.
4. FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALITE, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, AND COMMERCIAL CARGO CARRIER OPERATIONS THAT FAIL TO MEET OR EXCEED THE FAA'S DOMESTIC SECURITY INSPECTION PROGRAM STANDARDS, ARE NOT AUTHORIZED.
5. ALL U.S. SECRET SERVICE CLEARED AIRCRAFT OPERATORS BASED IN THE AREA SHOULD NOTIFY THE US SECRET SERVICE PRIOR TO THEIR DEPARTURE BY CALLING 315-334-6065 OR 6301.
6. ALL MEDICAL FLIGHT OPERATION COMPANIES SHALL COORDINATE WITH THE USSS PRIOR TO THIS NOTAM GOING INTO EFFECT TO AVOID POTENTIAL DELAYS WHEN THE NOTAM IS IN EFFECT.

I'm sure glad Tara at Million Air called!
:) -pj

These large TFRs are really starting to piss me off. First it was the shuttle launches, now the President is getting 30 miles TFRs, you got to be kidding me. I remember the last time be came into Daytona, I don't remember any TFRs then.

Though the airport was shut down.

Made it to Chicago!

I wound up delaying our departure for a couple hours after calling all the pax last night. It sure would have sucked if I had waited until 7am this morning! En route, I got a message about 40 minutes out from Chicago Center about MDW still being closed until 12:30 (this was at 12:15). No problem, but he advised that I could slow if I thought it was necessary. After the chuckles about me still being 40 minutes out, all was good. I think I was number 12 for the ILS 4R, asked to hold 190 til the OM and then side-step to 4L. I'm fixin' to head out from the Oak Lawn Hilton to see some sights. Any advice? Maybe some good barbeque places? :)

-PJ

In the mood for Pizza?

Down the street from your hotel on Cicero Ave. is a great dive pizza place called Vito and Nicks. It is about three miles north from the oak lawn hilton. Great thin crust pizza and cheap beer.

Re: Made it to Chicago!

puddlejumper said:
I'm fixin' to head out from the Oak Lawn Hilton to see some sights. Any advice? Maybe some good barbeque places?

I don't know about barbeque, but for pizza I suggest Palermo's, about three blocks from your hotel. Its just a couple of blocks west of Cicero on 95th street. They would deliver also. Freakin' awesome thin and medium crust pizza. If you want a good place to have a few with good food, go to Deja Brew, about four blocks west of Cicero on 95th - across from the library. A friend owns the place. Lots of hotties during after work hours. You can stagger back to the hotel and stop at White Castle for some gut bombs before drifting into unconciousness. Stop there only if you fail to score at the bar. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Latest resources

Back