Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saviboy

hi
my ultimate goal is to work for a major airline. I am aware its not so easy to get there.
I am a captain in a 121 airline flying a metroliner 3 (light turboprop less than 20000 lbs: cant apply to jetblue for example)
I have 2600 hours and 975 hrs 121 turbine PIC and about 7-8 months away from my 4 year degree.
I know these times are not very competitive therefore I would like to build my total time in a glass equipped jet and possibly heavy (Omni air, north american....) if I can get hired there. Or even a fractional such as Flexjet.
Not too exicted about the regionals.
My chief pilot offered me a check airman position. I would not have to stay there for a specific amount of time. I could just do a checkride and leave .no hard feelings.

Should I put on hold my job hunt for this opportunity or get the jet,glass time?

I know a lot of Beech 1900 check airmen that have been hired by SWA, AirTran and Continental recently. In fact that seems to be the best ticket into some places.

The check airman thing always looks good on the resume. Do that, keep building your Turbine PIC and then move on and get your big airplane time.

Good luck.TC

Absolutely take the checkairman position! You'll learn alot and it goes a long way to demonstrating skill and leadership with your current company. Take the 7-8 months to finish your degree, do the checkairmen thing while you finish, then you are set to REALLY hunt that new job. You are in a good spot my friend. Don't bail on that just to go chase a job in a regional jet. That would be a HUGE mistake.

Thanks for all the answers.

Now lets say I do one checkride as a check airman and get a job at omni air, kalitta, flexjet, etc..... is it still going to help me as much or should I be looking for a job as a current check airman?

in other words my question is:
Will a major airline look at me more favorably if I am a current check airman in a metroliner or if I was a check airman and that I am now flying a 757/747 or cl 300...?

PIC is king, Dude. Do the Check Airman thing, stick with it for a while. If you really think going to another place would be better for you and your family, go. No matter what you do, I would caution you against leaving before getting in the neighborhood of 2000 turbine PIC. That seems to open a lot of doors. I know some places value current turbine PIC (regardless of type) vs. heavy SIC. Food for thought.

As an aside, good for you for finishing your degree. Congrats and best of luck to you.

hi
my ultimate goal is to work for a major airline. I am aware its not so easy to get there.
I am a captain in a 121 airline flying a metroliner 3 (light turboprop less than 20000 lbs: cant apply to jetblue for example)
I have 2600 hours and 975 hrs 121 turbine PIC and about 7-8 months away from my 4 year degree.
I know these times are not very competitive therefore I would like to build my total time in a glass equipped jet and possibly heavy (Omni air, north american....) if I can get hired there. Or even a fractional such as Flexjet.
Not too exicted about the regionals.
My chief pilot offered me a check airman position. I would not have to stay there for a specific amount of time. I could just do a checkride and leave .no hard feelings.

Should I put on hold my job hunt for this opportunity or get the jet,glass time?

Go for the Check Airmen deal

Get that check airman letter. It's issued by the feds on FAA letterhead and its yours to keep. Even if the company does not utilize you as a check airman that letter stays with you and on file in Oak City.

Your company can't even take it away unless they have a good reason and the FAA has to be involved as well.

Yes or No? A big fat YES!

Last edited:
What is your REAL motivation?

If it helps you get a job so be it...If it's to build your Ego, well that's another Story.

I agree, the Regionals is not the place to be.

If you can ( and seem to be predisposed to doing ) get on with a Kalitta, World, etc.

Fly a 747 / DC-10 around the world and become qualified to do ANYTHING you desire.

"Check Airman" quite often equals " Management D-ck Eater".

Your Choice.

YKW

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back