Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gatorman

Snot-nosed college boy!!
I have been pondering the question of how much air pressure is used to drive the pneumatic drive unit for the thrust reverser on a CF-34.

I know that it is not really the pressure that drives the T/R's but the volume of air supplied, but I do not want to slam it it with too much pressure.

I have a training guide with the engine information stating that the pressure coming off of the 14th stage of the compressor is in the 260 psi range, but I know for a fact that it is no where near that much at the PDU.

I know that there is some one out there who know this.....thanks ahead of time

GATOR

This may or may not help....

CF34-3 Flight Operations Notes
(Information for airline operators of CF34-3 engines. Published by GE Aircraft Engines Commercial Product Support.)

TO: All Canadair Regional (100/200) Jet Pilots No. 2

SUBJECT: Setting Takeoff and Reverse Thrust Date: 05 SEP 1994

The purpose of this note is to describe a thrust setting technique that will minimize the possibility of experiencing asymmetric thrust caused by different acceleration times of each engine.

While engines installed may both meet the acceleration times required by FAR from IDLE to TAKEOFF THRUST, engine-to-engine variation may cause a difference in the time to accelerate between left and right engine, resulting in asymmetric thrust.

This phenomena is common to dual engine jet aircraft and can be minimized by use of the following technique:

Takeoff: Advance both N2’s to a stable setting between 80-85%. Pausing only momentarily, advance thrust lever to desired N1 for takeoff. Most, if not all, engine variation occurs at the low band of the power curve (less than 80% N2).

Reverse: Retard both thrust levers approximately halfway to the maximum reverse setting. Pause momentarily, then retard thrust levers again, if desired.

These notes are provided for your information, and to assist you in effectively operating the CF34-3 turbofan engine.

Thanks, but I believe I found what it was I was looking for. I was actually looking for the duct pressure coming off the 14th stage.

I just matched it up with a simular pnematic drive unit information from another type aircraft.

Since I know that I have used a rig(at shop air pressure 125psi) to operate the T/R on ground, I know that is is no where near what the training manual lead me to believe (260 psi).

The conclusion to my question is that the duct pressure is 60 pounds per minute air flow at 45 psi.

thanks GATOR

Latest resources

Back