Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dep676

My Glock is bigger!!!!!
What does the S mean after the 525 on a CE-525S type rating? I have only seen it once. Other times I have only seen CE-525. I am thinking that it means the person is single pilot typed in the CJ. Any ideas??????

Thanks..

It means one is qualified to fly the aircraft single pilot.

CE525 is a crew type - cannot fly single pilot.

CE525S is a single pilot type - can fly single pilot or crew.

I would think so. That is why I asked also. I saw the one about the CE-525. I also know a guy that is single pilot in a Bravo. His just has CE-500. He doesn't have an S after his.

Steve said:
Does the same apply for the C-550S?
No.

The 550's require an FAA waiver that must be renewed every twelve month. The waiver is aircraft specific (Example Bravo only, or Ultra only etc.)

There is only one 550 model that does not require the waiver for single pilot. And I think you take a gross weight reduction that makes your useful load very low.

It's completely different.

With the CE525S, one is typed once and good for part 91 ops forever. Meaning, get a biennial flight review every two years in a C152 and you are good to go (legal) single pilot in the CJ, part 91, the rest of your life.

With the other Citation series, one would get a waiver to fly single pilot. While I don't fly any of the other Citations, my understanding is that those pilots have to do checkrides to renew the waiver. They do not have single pilot type ratings. They have crew type ratings with authorization to fly certain series single pilot if the pass additional checkrides.

There's no such thing as a CE550S type rating.

Last edited:
The single pilot waiver check is the exact same check ride as the regular type except done solo.

There are some total time requirements to get the initial SP check done, I do not remember the exact details, something like 1500 TT and 500 turbojet comes to mind. I keep my copy of the waiver statement in the airplane so I cannot give you the exact details right now.

There are a couple of waivers out there, but Cessna, for obvious reasons, has the most people flying under theirs. Basically, every 3 years, Cessna reapplies to the FAA to have the waiver extended another 3 years. You as the pilot then take the SP training and are issued a waiver statement with your pilot certificate # and type of aircraft (ex. Bravo) that you are authorized to fly SP. This personal waiver is good for 12 months, as long as Cessnas "Master Waiver" is in effect. So basically you hold a waiver, to fly on a waiver, so to speak.

The initial SP check must be done in the airplane, after that any renewals can be done 100% in the sim. Also, Flight Safety or Simuflite is the only two training centers that our insurance will accept the waiver training from.

As can be expected, your insurance carrier is much more restrictive on the SP ops than the FAA is. Our carrier requires 5000 TT with 1000 turbine multi before they will insure you. Some others can probably be had with less time, depending on the company. At any rate we pay an extra $9000 a year to operate SP on the plane. Which is still cheaper than a full time F/O even at todays cruddy rates. Also we are limited to 50 million liability.

The waiver is not recognized by ICAO so anytime we go out of the country we pick up a contract F/O. The 550 is easy to fly single pilot so I really do not get the whole waiver requirement thing. I guess it is a hold over from the original 550 type certificate, easier to do the waiver than it is to recertify it as Single pilot.

The SP check mainly deals with more from memory work, with less emphasis on the check lists. they are looking to see that you do the required items in the emergency procedures, if you have time for a checklist, fine, if you never get to it, but get all the major items, that is fine too. Basically it makes the entire checklist a memory item though no one actually says it that way. Fly the plane first, work the problem second, and if time permits, back it all up with a checklist. It does get busy at times in the sim, but as long as you have some decent turbine experience, it is not anything tough at all.

I have to laugh at a few of the SP waiver guys that I see around, you would think that they are certified to fly a 747 single pilot the way they act. Take it from me, SP on a 550 is not a big deal.

KeroseneSnorter said:
Take it from me, SP on a 550 is not a big deal.
I agree. CJ single pilot is pretty simple as well. The only gotcha for some people is multi-tasking, especially when things go south.

Latest resources

Back