• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IP076

That's right, you're....
NEWS RELEASE

Embry-Riddle Phases Out CAPT Program Initiative

Daytona Beach, Fla., Feb. 2, 2006 -- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University will discontinue enrolling new cadets into its Commercial Airline Pilot Training (CAPT) program initiative effective Feb. 14.
The intense 12-14 month program located at Flagler County Airport in Bunnell, Fla., enrolls students who already have jobs and degrees, but are looking for a career change. While graduates were successfully placed as pilots for regional and cargo carriers, the university decided the program did not fit into its strategic plans for the future.

“CAPT is an exciting approach to pilot training, but we decided to focus our efforts and resources on our flagship pilot training programs at our residential campuses,” said John P. Johnson, interim president of Embry-Riddle.

Embry-Riddle educates nearly 2,000 students in its pilot training programs at residential campuses in Daytona Beach, Fla., and Prescott, Ariz.

Over the next year, the university will complete the training for all cadets currently enrolled. Training will continue at Flagler County Airport during that period. The Bunnell facility is leased from the airport and a new tenant will be sought.

Of the 57 graduates to date, several are engaged in employer-based training to pilot 747 cargo aircraft and others are now with regional airlines. Embry-Riddle will explore adopting some of the innovative features of the CAPT system of instruction into the flight programs at the Daytona Beach, Fla., and Prescott, Ariz., campuses.

The highly selective admissions criteria of the CAPT program, which includes a thorough background check and psychological screening prior to enrollment, make CAPT graduates highly desirable to employers.

“We are very proud of the accomplishments of our outstanding cadets and staff,” said Martin Schaaf, executive director of CAPT. “We are also pleased that we enjoyed such a strong relationship with several air carriers who worked with us to develop the program.”

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the world’s largest, fully accredited university specializing in aviation and aerospace, offers more than 30 degree programs through its colleges of Arts and Sciences, Aviation, Business and Engineering. Embry-Riddle educates more than 32,000 students annually in undergraduate and graduate programs at residential campuses in Prescott, Ariz., and Daytona Beach, Fla., through its Extended Campus at more than 130 teaching centers in the United States, Canada, Europe, and the Middle East, and worldwide through distance learning.

Thank Goodness!!

now if only embry-riddle would get phased out....

i feel so bad for these guys that are getting aviation degrees. all i can think of is the current state of the airlilnes and aviation, with all the furloughing and downsizing, and how they only have an education in aviation. at least minimum wage went up Jan. 1.

Gotta love the Riddle spin cycle. CAPT was such a great thing...so innovative...that they're phasing it out! :laugh:

minitour said:
It did?

-mini

well, i was told this the other day by our HR lady, but after researching, i guess it was florida's min wage, not the nat'l. my fault. you'll still be making $5.15/hr, mini :nuts:

ERAU....doing what FBO's do, for about 700% more......

New Hire FO....man I'd love to eat, but I got my school loans....

Of the 57 graduates to date, several are engaged in employer-based training to pilot 747 cargo aircraft

Anybody find that scary? I hope it's just marketing BS.. Flying an RJ with 500TT is scary enough, but a 747?!

GotBoost? said:
Of the 57 graduates to date, several are engaged in employer-based training to pilot 747 cargo aircraft

Anybody find that scary? I hope it's just marketing BS.. Flying an RJ with 500TT is scary enough, but a 747?!

Well, I think they're in Dispatcher training right now.....or something like that....

The program, in my opinion, was stupid as hell...but I don't believe that 195 hours qualifies you to say that flying an RJ at 500TT is scary, or that flying a 747 is any different. Do you know how many airline pilots back in the day (and not the 90s) were hired with less than 500 hours? Some with way less. I've known several people that have gone on to fly RJ's, Large Turboprops, and Corporate Jets with 500TT. I personally don't have a problem getting on an airplane knowing the guy in the right seat has 500 hours, I know he's passed the same training as a guy in the right seat with 5000 hours.

Do they still offer the MD-90 type??

What a waste.

Latest resources

Back