Capital Cargo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
khsgt said:
Guys thanks for all the responses. I have recently been offered a LOR there and I have been researching the company to decide if I want to apply. After looking into it, I believe Capital is a decent airline and the kind of place I would like to go. The two year training contract is a non issue because I have the intention of staying and upgrading there if possible. I'm a current regional 121 CA with 3000 TT and 1000 Turbine PIC, do I stand a chace at getting in with those kind of hours and a LOR? How much hiring is Capital doing and what is projected in the near future (6-8 months). What is causing the hiring, is it attrition or growth? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'd have to agree with tgates, hiring is for attrition.
We aren't growing too much...however, we just got an additional city, Huntsville.

There was word put out last week within the pilot ranks looking for people who want to become checkairmen. I don't know if that means they're anticipating alot of upcoming training or what.
Remember, our parent company (capital holdings) owns several 767's, so who knows what will happen there. They are flying now, just not at Capital Cargo (the owner has leased them to other operators).
CCIA is a good place to work, and your times seem competitive. There have been some people wash out of training, but that's true where ever you go.

This is not a large airline and the training department isn't anything similar to that of a legacy carrier that's had the ability to refine their curriculum and teaching techniques over a long period of time. That being said, you're on your own during class with this airline. They do not spoon feed you. The class I was in, for the most part, was self taught. Half of us had prior 727 experience which helped GREATLY, but one of 2 guys did not, and we spent lots of time after class helping those guys, and they did make it.

If you get a class date, let me know and I'll either post or PM you the Limitations. If you learn those now and get that crap out of the way, you can better spend your time learning the systems once you're in class.

You can do a lot worse than Cappy. I'm one of the one's that went back to Delta when recalled. If I would have stayed, I would have upgraded right around the year mark. They have a lot of good people there and I stay in touch with many of them. Under the old contract, they are still in negotiations, a First Officer will make about $50k with per diem and bonuses.

I will also say this Peter F. the owner of Capital lived up to his end of the bargain while I was at Cappy. His saying is "Your priorities in life should be your God, your family and then Capital cargo". When the hurricanes hit us last year he sent all the Florida based crews home to take care of their families. No pay was docked and he ate the airline tickets to get us home.

Now don't get me wrong, flying sixteen day rotations is hard. Flying sixteen day night freight rotations can be brutal. You have to go into this job with your eyes wide open.

I haven't been around that part of the industry for several years but one company I worked for shared a room in the trailer at Dayton with Capital. I jumpseated on them once. For that segment of the industry it's quite good- they seemed to have nice airplanes, good quality pilots, and gave the impression of being a decently run outfit, not your typical slimeball freight company.

Still, a 12,000 or more training contract with no type rating seems awfully high. A year would not be unreasonable, but two years?

Hey Midnight Flyer...i see Cappy guys sometimes come into the FBO i work at when you guys fly into RFD. If your ever there walk a building or two to the North (big white hanger) and ask for me (Bobby). Ill show you some of the toys in the hanger..;). Normally its a flight in from TOL and back out to TOL. See ya..

I will also say this Peter F. the owner of Capital lived up to his end of the bargain while I was at Cappy. His saying is "Your priorities in life should be your God, your family and then Capital cargo". When the hurricanes hit us last year he sent all the Florida based crews home to take care of their families. No pay was docked and he ate the airline tickets to get us home.

This was the nicest thing I have ever read on this webboard. Nice to see an
airline manager who knows what the real priorities in life are!:)

PHXFLYR:cool:

bobs98tlr said:
Hey Midnight Flyer...i see Cappy guys sometimes come into the FBO i work at when you guys fly into RFD. If your ever there walk a building or two to the North (big white hanger) and ask for me (Bobby). Ill show you some of the toys in the hanger..;). Normally its a flight in from TOL and back out to TOL. See ya..
is that the hangar with all those high performance props are? I think ive been there..probably talked to you and didn't even know it.

Take care

I don't know why some of you guys are making a big deal out of the training contract. Cappy is headquartered in Orlando, FL. Florida is a right-to-work state, and therefore the training contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on. You could leave just one day after finishing training and there isn't a dang thing the company can do about it. From the things I've heard about Cappy management, I doubt they'd be the kind to pursue it anyway. Besides, it shouldn't be an issue unless you're planning on screwing the company by leaving so soon.

Seems to me a schedule like this could be a little rough on family life and
life away from the airport. No?

PHXFLYR

Guys, out of curiosity, I have a few questions. How many hours do you guys fly on an average month? Could I get somebody to post a payscale for FO's and CA's under the current contract. What is the predicted upgrade right now? Thanks guys!!!!

Latest resources

Back