Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airgator

FUBIJAR
I would imagine Air France will also get rid of theirs. Unfortunately we probably won't see another supersonic civ transport for a long time.

From the BBC website:

Concorde to retire by end 2003

Concorde has been ravaged by safety problems
British Airways will confirm on Thursday that it is retiring its supersonic Concorde service, the BBC has learned.
Passenger numbers have never recovered since the crash near Paris in 2000 and the aircraft no longer makes a profit.

Concorde is expected to cease flying in the autumn, probably when BA's summer timetable ends on the last weekend of October, BBC transport correspondent Simon Montague said.

Air France has made no comment on whether it is close to pulling its Concorde service, after reports it would retire the service by 2007.

Concorde has been blighted by a rash of problems.

Three years ago 113 people were killed in the Paris crash.

Engine failure

At the end of last year it emerged engine failure forced one New York-bound plane to turn back to London and another flight was forced to cut its speed when cracks appeared in a window.

In January this year, an Air France Concorde covering the Paris to New York route was forced to return to Charles de Gaul airport when the plane's nose cone was unable to move into position for supersonic speed.

Past incidents
20 February: Emergency landing after engine problems
12 January: Nose cone malfunctions
27 Nov 02: Part of tail rudder falls off
6 Nov 02: Engine fails, sparking panic
3 Nov 02: Plane turns round after engine failure
30 Oct 02: Speed cut after window cracks spotted
July 02: Turnaround after engine power surge
April 02: Engine failure causes mid-air 'bang'
March 02: Take-off abandoned after computer glitch
Nov 01: Flight aborted over engine reheats

The Concorde phenomenon

In November 2002, part of the rudder on a British Airways Concorde fell off as the plane was flying between London and New York.

And earlier that month passengers flying on an Air France Concorde had a scare as the pilot was forced to make the plane rapidly descend 8,000 metres (27,000 feet) after one of its jet engines failed.

An investigation concluded that the July 2000 disaster happened after a piece of metal lying on the runway burst one of plane's tyres.

Currently, BA's Concordes are certified to fly until 2009.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) and the Civil Aviation Authority both say Concorde remains safe to fly.

Both Air France and BA Concorde services have been badly affected in recent months by the American economic downturn and the Iraqi conflict.

The plane, born out a joint Anglo-French project, and developed by engineers at Filton, near Bristol, operates daily out of London Heathrow and Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport to North America.

It cruises at around 1350 mph at an altitude of up to 60,000ft (11 miles) meaning a crossing from Europe to New York takes less than three and a half hours.

I always wanted to fly on the Concorde, so I just looked up what the cheapest flight would be from JFK to LON on B.A....$6336 (roundtrip-no one ways?)...ugh...nevermind that sh!t!!!

crosscut said:
He could always go back to flying the Lears for company called Zurich

True... If he could only remember the model Lear he was flying... You know, that was "back in the day".. he is a crusty 28 years old already, do you expect him to remember the pittance planes he used to fly?!?!?!

Russian "Concorde"

The Soviet version of the SST, the TU-144 Concordski (I'm not kidding about the name! Read the story!), had a short operational life compared to the Anglo-French SST.

I didn't know this until I researched it just now, but the Soviets apparently obtained details about the Anglo-French airplane via espionage, which enabled them to build their version. Check out this link from the BBC.

All the Mr. Concorde bashing aside, it would have been interesting to have read some authentic comments about how it is to fly the airplane.

Last edited:
YOU GUYS DIDN'T GET THE MEMO?

John Travolta said his next goal was to fly the Concorde. He will probably trade in his 707 for one and start a PFT program as soon as possible.

I'm not sure how this worked out, but one of my friend's friends (yeah, one of those stories) was able to jumpseat/non-rev on the Concorde.

Interesting if it were true, but I'm not sure if it is or not.

slickmagneto said:
John Travolta said his next goal was to fly the Concorde. He will probably trade in his 707 for one and start a PFT program as soon as possible.
I love it!!!!

Latest resources

Back