Buying used headsets

Hitch

Total Time
Can anyone advise if it's wise to buy a used headset? I've just started taking lessons for my Private and would like to avoid paying $300 if possible. Thanks.

Pilot3729

Where's the passengers?
Total Time
1 or 2
Buy a cheap set

Spend about $100 dollars on a new headset. I think a couple companies make a headset that sells for 99.00-120.00. Then when you start doing Commercial training buy a good set of Clarks or something. If you can get one with a push to talk switch on the set, get it. I don't know how many times I've jumped into rentals that had bad mike buttons or the guy sitting next to you has the only button in the airplane on the yoke!!

Good luck.....

Anaconda

FLY ARMY!
Total Time
Low!
Try Ebay

Why buy a cheapo headset now only to buy a nice one later?

You can buy nice or buy twice...

I bought a nearly new Lightspeed 25K for $365 on EBay. That's a nearly $600 headset new. The $100 I spent earlier on a cheapo headset would have been nice to use on that Lightspeed.

After all, it's your hearing...

Pilot3729

Where's the passengers?
Total Time
1 or 2
I guess

Yeah, I guess, whatever....

I bought a real nice headset on my first lesson. I paid $400 for it. I ended up buying a nicer one later after having the experience to decide what was best for me.

My first headset got thrashed from training usage. C'mon 100 dollars to buy a cheap one. That's an hour and a half of flight time....Anyone can afford that!

I talked to allot of pilots while training and I love my headsets now.....

I don't know what hearing has to do with anything.....though

Anaconda

FLY ARMY!
Total Time
Low!
yeah, whatever...

great comeback.

maybe you are just hard on headsets. i still have that original cheap headset, and i bought it in 1989. still looks and works great.

your advice on trying out other headsets was spot on, however. that would be a good thing to do before buying one.

as for your hearing, don't worry about it.

Last edited:

j41driver

Total Time
Re: I guess

Pilot3729 said:
I don't know what hearing has to do with anything.....though
Isn't protecting your hearing the entire reason to buy a headset in the first place? That's why I got one.

SkyGirl

Total Time
A bit
Headsets

I bought a David Clark H10-13.4 and I really like it. I wanted to protect my hearing so I splurged. I don't want all those little cilia laying down for good.

ILS JNKY

Sea Plane Pilots Assoc
Total Time
head set

bought a DAVID CLARK with ANL, just before leaving my job to fly full time, man it is great to be out of sales,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D