Buying a Piper Twin Comanche?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vik

I'm interested in purchasing a Piper Twin Comanche in the next 3-4 months.

I'd like to contact any owners or anyone with any information or advice. I have never owned an airplane before nor have I been involved in purchasing a plane for someone else.

I'm interested to know things like how much an overhaul on each engine costs, how long that takes, what about the props?

Is it possible to buy the plane and then get multi instruction in it and take the checkride in it or will insurance companies not allow that?

I'm interested in flying with a friend. How do non-owners of multi aircraft get insured?

I'd like to spend no more than $125k buying the plane, doing a pre-buy insepction on it, an annual and just getting it in decent shape. I plan to use it to fly about 500 hours/year for both work and experience building.

Any help would be appreciated. Any books I should read on buying a plane? Anything!! I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance :)

I'm not the wise veteran you're looking for, but I will say that our DE was talking to me about Twin Comanches recently. He said that he'd like to have that twin dollar for dollar over any other plane. I suppose he knows a thing or two about flying and your choice is a good one. ;)

check for repetitive airframe ADs on twin comanche.
also consider SE performance

Excellent combination of speed, fuel economy, and (relatively) cheap mx.
I reccomend buying one with the STOL kit... makes it a rather well-behaved aircraft during landing.

Last edited:
A lot depends on where you live, hangering the plane can cost big bucks as well as taxes. I would suggest going to a web site specific to type. I own a 182RG and belong to the CPA. There are good organizations that can give you a wealth of information, including a spread sheet specific to your airplane. I would suggest reading as much as you can about this airplane and do as much research as possible before you buy. Buying a twin, especially an older twin, can be very expensive, the mx can kill you if you're not prepared. Find a type club and research what you can, if you buy right, ownership can be great! Do your homework!

Check into insurance. A friend of mine had some problems and the insurance broker actually suggested selling it. We don't do business with that broker anymore (different operation and plane). They definately did not want the Comanche doing any commercial work, i.e. being a rental or for flight instruction for anyone but the owner.

In case you're considering leasing it back to an FBO to spread the $$$ ...

I looked into insurance just after 9/11 for a piston twin (Twin Commander and Seneca being considered), to be flown under Part 91 for an incorporated company. Needless to say, I almost had a heart attack.

Something to consider ...

Minh

Since AOPA is giving away a restored Twin Commanche next December, you might want to check their website and upcoming issues of AOPA Pilot for more info, too.

First, do yourself a big favor and spend $50 bucks on the Used Aircraft Guide (think that is the title)...two big black and blue books. Shows you all of the repetitive and one time AD's, model years to avoid, fuel consumption, and basically the better part of the stats on each model.

A few years ago, I was in the market for a light twin...the Twin Comanche was one of them. After a lot of searching, I found a cherry Beech Travel Air instead. Tons more room in the interior, quieter, and Beech quality over Piper really does make a big difference. A few people don't like the throttle arrangement...but you get over it real quick when you feel how she handles. I put over a thousand hours on that thing in a year and a half. At that rate, you tend to go through most of your repetitive AD's a few times. I know the Piper had a pretty nasty rep AD on cleaning out fuel drains/filters and a rep AD on replacing gear bungies. The fuel AD would have been a serious pain in the ass at my usage level.

If you don't have at least a couple of hundred hours in twins, good luck on getting insurance. They are going to take you to the cleaners...if they offer coverage at all. Consider joining the EAA after getting some time...some insurance companies will redo the coverage when you join, and your rate can drop dramatically with a couple hundred hours in type.

My best advice, read the logs. Make sure they are complete. I looked at ten airplanes over several months...never flew one of them after looking at the logs first. The used aircraft industry makes the used car business look angelic. Also, buy the panel the way you want it if you can. Good avionics and high time motors can be a lot less expensive than poor equipment and poorly overhauled motors. Watch for timed out props. I went through my Hartzell 500 hr rep AD...each prop was something like 1/1000 under tolerance. Added $3600 to my overhaul.

Maintenance( including an annual) over a thousand hours was about $9000...not bad at all. Learn how to do your own oil changes...and double check the work of your AP like your life depended on it. You cannot believe the bullsh*t you will see on that end.

Other than some of the bad stuff, I would buy a twin again in a heartbeat. Best experience flying I have...problem is, the Regionals don't pay well enough for me to do that again.

Good luck. - Checknsix

I'll agree with most of what was said above...

As long as you're insured in the airplane, your friend can fly/log all the time they wasnt as long as you're int he airplane. Otherwise, you'll have to add them to the insurance. That may or may not cost money...

Don't skimp on airplanes man. A cheap plane is usually cheap for a reason. Spend the money on a reputable overhaul, get parts from a good parts source, and make friends with the mechanics for your plane. Do not try to always get a "deal" from them--you need the shop to make enough profit to make them want to work on your airplane.

Watch the reccurring ADs, some of those could be pricey.

That said, I've thought about getting a light twin myself (since I make enough to afford one with a partner, perhaps), and the Twin Comanche is hogh ont he list of zippy but less expensive airplanes.

Dan

Latest resources

Back