• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Buying a 182 - Advice wanted

Carlton

Total Time
100tt
Good Evening,

I am looking at buying a C182R where i live, which is Australia.
I'm looking for a few tips from any Cessna old hands,or those with
extensive experience on the type.Specifically i had the following queries.

* What are the particular areas of concern or potential pitfalls
your mechanic should look for on a pre-purchase?

* What do you think of oil sample analysis(ie:spectrometry)
in terms of usefulness.What companies(addresses) perform this servise in the USA?

*Do you know of any other aircraft sale websites/forums?

*Is it easy to couple older avionics etc with some of the new gear?Or is it simpler to turf the old gear?

* What would be the market price for a C182R (excellent condition) in the US now?

Thanks,

Carlton

:D

aero99

just a member, not senior
Total Time
10PM
* What are the particular areas of concern or potential pitfalls
your mechanic should look for on a pre-purchase?

Depends on the model, year and make of the plane. The Pre-purchase inspector should have experience with the make and model in question and should know the current AD's out for that aircraft. Knowing what AD's have or haven't been complied with will be a big factor on the actual value of the aircraft. If I remember correctly, there was a very expensive AD out on some of the older 182r's, maybe an owner on the forum will have better insite.

* What do you think of oil sample analysis(ie:spectrometry)
in terms of usefulness.What companies(addresses) perform this servise in the USA?

I think it is very valuable information. An engine analysis can tell you alot about how long the engine might have left in it- again, a major factor in its actual value.

*Do you know of any other aircraft sale websites/forums?

www.aso.com
www.controller.com
www.planequest.com

*Is it easy to couple older avionics etc with some of the new gear?Or is it simpler to turf the old gear?

Depends on how much money you want to spend.

* What would be the market price for a C182R (excellent condition) in the US now?

Anywhere from 120k-200k. Again, depends on times, avionics, history, AD's, damage etc.

Hope this helps a little.

DC4boy

addicted user
Total Time
some
182's

Ive got a '73 P model and I just love it. The better of the o-470 engines is the the R model. Dont remember off hand but there was a crankshaft AD on the 470. Other than that I havent touched the airplane (maint wise) in three years. Good airplane.