• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Beech Sundowner...Infor please

Total Time
3600+
I am thinking about getting rid of the ol' Warrior for a Beech Sundowner that is for sale here at my FBO. I can't find much on line about them. I have been told of landing gear problems. What can you all tell me about them? Any info, good or bad would be great!!

Thanks!

bigD

Total Time
4.9e17
I only have a few hours in a Sundowner because the friggin owner took it off leaseback two weeks after I got checked out, but I LOVED it. It's got that Beech build to it that the Piper products tend to lack. Nice and roomy inside, and the controls are well harmonized. A little on the slow side because the thing is wide, but at this stage of the game who's looking to go fast? :D

There have been some landing accidents, but like anything else it's due to poor pilot technique rather than a design problem. The bottom line is to fly the thing over the numbers at the right airspeed - if you're fast, you'll float forever. And in this plane, the absolute worst thing you can do is try and force the thing onto the asphalt. You'll porpoise, and if you don't go around and try again, you'll end up contributing to the higher landing accident rate of the plane. You might be able to get away with this kind of airspeed sloppiness in a Warrior, but it'll bite you in the Beech. Keep this in mind, and it's no more dangerous than any other plane.

bigD

Total Time
4.9e17
Forgot one thing! I usually indicated about 105-110 knots at 6000 or so. So you're getting Warrior speed with a slightly higher fuel burn. But you gain a lot of elbow room instead!

Total Time
3600+
Thanks for the reply. I am not as worried about safty in this case as I am about my insurance deductable. Like I said, I have heard of landing gear collapsing on hard landings. Maybe that is due to what you mentioned with people forcing it down. Thanks again!

desert pilot

Total Time
1000+
beech

Check wiyh chas on this board,he just bought the muskateer super(i think) it has the 200 hp engine,the main problem on these planes is a weak engine,1 door on some,bad pilots that cannot land ok.The super might be the right 1,recently there was 1 with a garmin 430 4 sale...

C

Chas

Great planes

I did buy a musketeer super 3 with c/s prop and 200 hp FI engine if you can land a warrior or arrow a beech is a breeze just keep an eye on the airspeed on final and keep the nose wheel from touching first I love those planes !!! regards Chas

PS as far as landing gear they use rubber donuts as struts and over time they compress and lose there spring action .To refit your bird its about $2500 usually they last 20 -25 years there is a website for more info on musketeers http://www.myplaneonline.com/bmo/index.cfm?content=enhancements.cfm

speedracer2

Total Time
sundowner

I have worked on and flown beech sundowners and have found them to be decent enough airplanes. The bad side of this aircraft is the design of the landing gear, mains fold out and up not in and up like most airplanes...the nose gear has a convoluted steering and centering mechanism and if not rigged properly can cause landing gear accidents, if you are interested in knowing more about the sundowner search the service difficulty reports on the faa database here http://www.landings.com/_landings/pages/reports.html