Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA Pilot's trial comes to an end...the tug driver did it!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
"Tug vehicle operator Franklin Tejeda told jurors that on July 1, 2002, police stopped him while he was pulling the aircraft, which was attached to the vehicle by a steel rod.

"When the pin is in the nose wheel, what happens if the pilots try to steer?" defense attorney Daniel Foodman asked.

"In my knowledge, they cannot steer," Tejeda said.

After the aircraft returned to the gate, authorities performed a field sobriety test on Captain Thomas Cloyd and first officer Christopher Hughes on suspicions they were intoxicated.

The failed the test and were arrested soon afterward. They face up to five years in prison if convicted.

Franklin also testified that he observed the engines on the Airbus 319 were off, another indication that the pilots were not in control of the aircraft, the defense argues.

On cross-examination, however, he acknowledged that he only began tug vehicle operations after receiving orders from the pilots in the cockpit to do so.

"I don't give orders," he said. "I have full control of plane until it's out on the taxiway."

"But you don't do anything unless told to by the pilots?" Assistant State Attorney Hilla Katz asked.

"Yes," he said.

Tejeda's testimony brought an end to seven days of evidence in the felony trial."

Outraged might be a little strong. I'm certainly dissapointed. They are definately dumb a$$es. There are more of them out there too.
Should they go to jail? I don't think so. They have been punished pretty well already. They will not ever get a DOT safety sensitive job again. In other words, they can't even mow the grass at the local drop zone. I also bet their resumes are pretty grim for other jobs.
I see a career in furniture sales for both, or maybe bartending...

If they go to jail so should ALL the drunk drivers. Without exception. Especially the one that killed my uncle.

It's a crime for that lawyer to try and convine the jury that the pilots were not in control. Only true if the tug guy was going to tug them to their destination. Give me a break. Lawyers are scum. Naive people might actually buy that story.

Pilot124 said:
It's a crime for that lawyer to try and convine the jury that the pilots were not in control.
No, it's called due process.
Pilot124 said:
Only true if the tug guy was going to tug them to their destination.
The tug driver did tow them to their destination...back to the terminal, at the government's direction.

If the pilots can get a felony DUI conviction for directing the tug driver to push the plane out, the government surely operated the plane with drunk pilots by directing the tug driver to pull the plane back in! Think about it!

The government IS JUST AS GUILTY AS THE PILOTS! I rest my case, your Honor!
Pilot124 said:
Give me a break.
One break, coming up!
Pilot124 said:
Lawyers are scum.
So are cops, politicians, preachers, doctors, boy scout leaders, lesbian stand up comics and that Lenny Bruce drug addict guy.
Pilot124 said:
Naive people might actually buy that story.
Yes my son, the government should step in and do something...free will is not a power that the common man can understand and is too powerfull for the individual to wield.

When I am appointed Chancellor of the American Union, I will insure that the people will not have to make such decisions. All decisions will be made for the people. Then all they will have to do is, "Shut up, be happy!"

Last edited:
FN FAL,

What was there intentions? They reported to work drunk!
Their job is to fly airplanes. They are not walmart greeters. THEY ARE PILOTS!!! They have a responsibility to the people that board their aircraft not to be drunk for obvious reasons. They showed a complete disregard for safety and responsibilty. I agree they deserve due process, but I have no sympathy for them at all. They should be men and admit they were wrong.

Pilot124 said:
They should be men and admit they were wrong.

You obviously have no idea how the US and Florida judicial systems work. Never admit anything and never voluntarily answer questions. When compelled to answer questions your answer should always be "I don't remember."

Personally I hope they got a fair trial.

The guy I wouldn't want to be is that screener that finked them out. If I were him I'd be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my days. No good deed should go unpunished.

PurpleInMEM wrote:
The guy I wouldn't want to be is that screener that finked them out. If I were him I'd be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my days. No good deed should go unpunished.Today 01:42

You're kidding, right?

Do you seriously believe that the screener is the "bad guy" in this situation? He reported two pilots, who were reporting for duty, as having alcohol on their breath. Fact is, they had been drinking and thus were in violation of CFRs, airline FOM guidance, and normal ethical behavior.

True, no self-respecting pilot would enjoy being reported by a TSA screener, but were these pilots playing by the rules? No way--they had been drinking and were (in my book) not "self-respecting" in the least.

Put another way, would you have wanted your mother, wife or daughter to be a passenger on their aircraft that particular morning? If so, then you have your head in the sand.

No sir, the screener did the job he was forced to do. "Finked them out"? To "fink" someone out one must first assume the existence of a honorable code that exsits between each party. While I don't really think that code exists today between pilots and the TSA, there is no doubt that arriving intoxicated to fly an aircraft violates moral, ethical and legal rules. The pilots deserved no break, and they did not receive a break.

This TSA screener should be commended for potentially saving the lives of many passengers, not excoriated for making a tough but correct decision.

Latest resources

Back