Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LineBoy

Quick Question:

In studying for the ATP written, assuming one is preparing for a career in the airline Part 121 industry. Should a person prepare for the written studying only the Part 121 material? Or should one prepare studying both the Part 135 and 121 material....Isn't it two seperate written exams? Are there 135 questions on the 121 exam?

LineBoy said:
Quick Question:

In studying for the ATP written, assuming one is preparing for a career in the airline Part 121 industry. Should a person prepare for the written studying only the Part 121 material? Or should one prepare studying both the Part 135 and 121 material....Isn't it two seperate written exams? Are there 135 questions on the 121 exam?

I suggest you read the introduction in the Gleim ATP prep book (I'm assuming that's what you are using to study). Contrary to what the above post says, even though the ATP is the same certificate regardless if you are flying 135 or 121, they are different tests and test you on different material in in the prep books. So, study only the chapters that Gleim suggests you study. Do NOT study 135 questions, they are a waist of your valuable time. As a point of reference, I have not seen nor heard a 121 carrier accepting a 135 written test score.

Best of luck, this was by far the hardest written I took. Study hard and you won't have a problem. PM me if you have any more questions.

Hey ET...but if you do a 135 ride and written....does your license say ATP 135 or ATP 121?????
NOPE it does not it states ATP.............

CaptETWes said:
I suggest you read the introduction in the Gleim ATP prep book (I'm assuming that's what you are using to study). Contrary to what the above post says, even though the ATP is the same certificate regardless if you are flying 135 or 121, they are different tests and test you on different material in in the prep books. So, study only the chapters that Gleim suggests you study. Do NOT study 135 questions, they are a waist of your valuable time. As a point of reference, I have not seen nor heard a 121 carrier accepting a 135 written test score.

Best of luck, this was by far the hardest written I took. Study hard and you won't have a problem. PM me if you have any more questions.

Are you kidding me? I can think of at least 5 people who have recently upgraded at 121 carriers with the part 135 ATP written! It makes absolutely no difference which version you take. I personally would suggest the 135 version because I felt it was an easier test. On the 135 version you will usually not see any performance or planning problems pertaining to the DC9, 727, 737, or 747. Good luck on the test.

tk855 said:
Are you kidding me? I can think of at least 5 people who have recently upgraded at 121 carriers with the part 135 ATP written! It makes absolutely no difference which version you take. I personally would suggest the 135 version because I felt it was an easier test. On the 135 version you will usually not see any performance or planning problems pertaining to the DC9, 727, 737, or 747. Good luck on the test.

I'll Second that. The performance questions on the 1900 are much easier. If you are more familiar with 121 though, you might consider taking that test.

If you want to do a practice test or two, try this:

Dauntless-software
http://www.dauntless-soft.com

It is cheap, and....well its cheap. It will give you an idea of how far along you are in your studying. It isn't the same quality as the gleim, but you won't pay an arm and a leg for it.

I took the 121 ATP written and got a lot of 135 IFR trip and B1900 questions. Study everything in the book other than the regs. for the test you're not taking. From my experience, even if you take the 121 you will get 135 questions pertaining to IFR trips and "135 aircraft" - this being some corporate jets and a B1900.

The Gleim book and especially the CD will get you a high score.

Take whatever version will be easiest for you. If you are currrently flying 135, you'll probably be more familiar with the 135 regs. Take hte 135 version. same goes if you're flying 121. That's why there are 2 versions, to allow an applicant to be tested on stuff relevant to his operation.

I can't imagine why somone would think an airline wouldn't let you upgrade with a 135 exam result. It's all for the ATP, and there is no 135 ATP or 121 atp certificates.

I'll agree with study all the aircraft though. Just because you take the 121 version doesn't mean that you won't get Beech 1900 questions.

OK, regardless if you can use a 135 written at a 121 (which I honestly have not heard happen) my advice is still to take the 121. Even if the 121 is harder, if your goal is a 121 carrier, why waste time on 135 questions? Save yourself the time and energy and only study what the Gleim book tells you to study. Take it from me, I did not read the introduction and studied all of the chapters only to find out later that several of the chapters were never going to be on the 121 written.

Plus, if the general consensus out there is that the 121 is harder than the 135, then taking the "harder" test may win points with interviewers (some places like Pinnacle require ATP writtens prior to getting interviews, et al.). If you get an interview at a place like that, taking the 121 test will only help you prepare for the writtens at those interviews! All in all, I think it's in your best interest to take the 121. It just makes more sense.

Well........That sure generated a lot of opinions. Thanks for all the input. My own situation is this: I am not currently flying for any 135 operation (never have) and I do not fly for any 121 operation (never have). I was able to aquire my ATP flight experience minimums by flying and instructing. Although, I am 38 years old, I decided...why not get my ATP? Many people have said, "why are you doing that, if you are not going to fly for an airline?" To me, it was a simple answer. I want to be held to the same professional flight standards as all of "you" who already have your ATP. And who knows, maybe I will go work for an airline someday. Maybe not a major, but Cape Air would suit me fine. So knowing there was two exams, for the written, I was curious to see what most of "you" ATP's had to say. Thanks for all the input.

Latest resources

Back