ASA clown show

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

twott driver

I would say that someone is scrambling to keep his job.......... got to love it!!!

Date:​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]August 3, 2006​
[/FONT]
To:​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]All ASA Employees​
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]ASA Leadership Team​
[/FONT]
Subject:​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Focused and Dedicated
It has been nearly eleven months since our purchase by SkyWest, Inc. Much has occurred over that time period -- some positive, some challenging.
The majority of this time has been spent focused on transitioning our company from Delta ownership to SkyWest, Inc. ownership. While we have been largely successful of that transition, it has become painfully obvious that we – your leadership team – have not kept our eye on what is most critical to the future of this company – our customers and our people. We have allowed ourselves to be over-scheduled, under-staffed and under-equipped. As a result, our employees have been asked to perform miracles – and you have largely done so – but clearly those miracles are running dry. The end result has been a sharp drop off in our performance and a significant drop in customer satisfaction.
The purpose of this memo is to apologize and to assure you that we are once again [/FONT]focused [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]and are [/FONT]dedicated [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]to providing you the tools, resources and support to do what we all know you want to do – turn ASA into an excellent operational and customer service organization.
In the coming weeks and months, you will begin to see the evidence of our commitment to these goals.​
  1. - Staffing will be dramatically increased on the ramp providing an available team for each and every parking position in Atlanta.
  2. - We will be adjusting the gating of aircraft to ensure that we limit gate conflicts in Atlanta.
  3. - We will be re-assessing parking ASA and OAL flights to ensure we have the best opportunity to succeed daily.
Page Two​
  1. - New boarding ramps will be installed on both C and D Concourses to assist our passengers in boarding and de-boarding the aircraft – CRJs and ATRs alike. The prototype should arrive prior to September 1, 2006.
  2. - New belt loaders will be arriving in Atlanta to fully equip our teams. New ground power/air units are on order as well.
  3. - Portable stairs will begin arriving on the ramp to allow our Cabin Service personnel access to the cabin via the service door.
  4. - Staffing will be increased at the gates. The podiums are being redesigned to better meet our customers’ needs.
And this is just the beginning. We have received all of our project and funding approvals to begin the C Concourse renovation and expect ground breaking this Fall. Yes, you have heard this before, but we do expect ground-breaking to take place during the fourth quarter of 2006.
The leadership team and I have allowed ourselves to have our attention diverted from what we all know to be the most important facets of our company – the frontline operation and you, our workforce.
This letter is to let you all know that we are committed to you and will provide you what you need to be successful. I look forward to re-building your trust. Thank you for everything you do every day.
Bryan LaBrecque​
[/FONT]

I have to see this letter for myself to believe it, but maybe Bryan started to see the light when his punk a$$ had to sit around on an ATR bound for CHA last Friday night over an hour and a half late due to there being no ramp personel. I also enjoyed listening to the FO of that flight trying to get some help on ops freq. "We have BL on board we need to go!" If it were me personally I think I would have made a PA to the passengers on that flight to direct all complaints to seat 1A.

GearUpLightsIn said:
I also enjoyed listening to the FO of that flight trying to get some help on ops freq. "We have BL on board we need to go!" If it were me personally I think I would have made a PA to the passengers on that flight to direct all complaints to seat 1A.
Why would he do that!! Leave it alone so he can suffer with the rest of the paying pax.
I would have done exactly that....might have been suspended but would have been well worth seeing his ass sweat out 65 pissed off pax

Time will tell. I for one will give him the benifit of the doubt to change it. Maybe they should be focused and dedicated to two of the other work groups that make up the people at ASA.

GO AROUND said:
Time will tell. I for one will give him the benifit of the doubt to change it. Maybe they should be focused and dedicated to two of the other work groups that make up the people at ASA.

I won't. Treating employees right is not something you do because your boss tells you to. You do it because you realize that it is the right thing to do, and you know it will improve business. Yes he might be able to turn it around, but the attitude will be short term. His throwing bags isn't going to fix things, nor is a letter posted for all to see. His learning that his employees are his greatest asset is what will fix things around here, and he comes from a culture that just doesn't value employees.

What is it costing ASA in lost performance to give our gates away to all the bottom feeders we see in ATL? Ramp personell get diverted, our planes sit on the ramp for hours waiting to get parked because of lack of parking etc etc etc.

Our ops is a big enough cockup as it is without having to service other airlines too.

GO AROUND said:

Why? It's his job to run ASA, efficiently and profitly. BL is not doing that. Do you really think BL can turn things around? What was his background at Delta? Why didn't BL fix the ramp problem when he was VP of ATL Airport? Why did ASA promote BL when it was obvious he had not fixed the ramp problem? What did SB really accomplished when he was here, other than to promote SB. What needs to be done is get rid of these ex-Delta managers, clean house, and hire or get some Skywest folks in here to run things.

Nice of BL to accept full responsibility for the f@*%ed-up ASA operation. He helped create it when he didn't do anything to correct it when he was VP!Who else would be ultimately responsible at ASA? Ever here the phrase. "the buck stops here"?

VOTED IN FAVOR!

He does! BL accepts full responsibility for the problems....

....and he accepts full payment for his services, too!

$800,000 bonus!

I have to say that I am glad this is finally being put into words by BL.

A couple of points.

BL, in my opinion is just another employee much like our former president SB under Delta, meaning he may know all that is needed to improve or fix this place but until the approval from above says ok, he can only do so much. THIS DOES NOT EXCUSE HIS LACK OF PERSONAL ABILITY TO BE OUT ON THE FRONTLINE OBSERVING AND DOING.

I think that after the sale to skywest, the numbers were continuing to be on par or better, and the skywest leadership was convinced to keep things status quo for the most part and did not allow big money to be spent, until the Sh!t hit the fan in July. Now they see the light so to speak, and if ASA does not meet the performance standards of the DCI contract then Delta can fire us. Delta wasnt going to fire us when they owned us 100%.

Another point, is the part he says about allowing ourselves to be over scheduled. ASA's ATL operation has gone to an around the clock operation with very few down times in the day. They have had a hard time telling Delta no when it comes to schedules, and the DELTA network marketing people draw up these beautiful time tables on paper and tell ASA that this is what we want, do it, and ASA of course says OK.

The biggest thing missing in this memo is the point that we have very poor frontline management, or none at all, on the ramp and gate level. Allowing things to be as slack as they feel like with zero fear of job security.

And last of all, Mr. Atkin showing up on our ramp for a ride to BTR, riding jumpseat with a crew, and the Captain having the Ba!!s to tell Mr Atkin that all the ramp people handling that flight was a farse and a snow job in an attempt to make his flight go out without a hitch. I hope that Mr. Atkin took that to the bank and kicked some a$$ with his so called "Leadership Team"

Only time will tell, and it will take some time.

Medeco

Latest resources

Back