• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Press ReleaseSource: Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Contracts With Menzies Aviation for Seattle Ramp Services
Friday May 13, 6:32 am ET

SEATTLE, May 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- As part of a continuing cost-management initiative to secure the airline's future, Alaska Airlines has contracted with Menzies Aviation to provide ramp services at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

[size=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/size]
Effective immediately, the move means the loss of 472 ramp service positions in Seattle held by company employees. Ramp services include loading and unloading baggage, and guiding aircraft to and from airport gates.

Alaska Airlines currently contracts with outside companies to provide ramp services in 41 of the 56 cities it serves. The decision to work with a service provider in Seattle is projected to save the airline more than $13 million annually.

"A decision of this kind, impacting people who have served this company well, is extremely difficult," Alaska's CEO Bill Ayer said. "But the ongoing turmoil in the airline industry, coupled with high fuel prices and pressure from low-cost carriers, puts us in a position where we must continue to find ways to reduce the cost of running our airline.

"Our success working with providers in other cities gives us confidence that we can continue moving Seattle customers' bags reliably while reducing our operating costs significantly," Ayer said.

The decision came after a lengthy evaluation process in which Alaska Airlines considered numerous options for saving money while improving the efficiency of the airline's ramp services. In addition to requesting proposals from outside providers, the airline conducted talks over a period of 20 months with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) to discuss contract changes focused on achieving a more market-competitive rate for delivering these services to customers. "Unfortunately, we were unable to achieve a contract approaching the savings available from service providers," said Ed White, Alaska's vice president of ground operations.

"To ease the transition for affected employees, we are working with the IAM to offer a more lucrative severance package than that specified in the current contract," White said. In line with the severance offered to management, maintenance and fleet service employees last year, this package would include two weeks of base pay for each year of service; a cash bonus of $3,000 to $15,000 based on length of service; one year of company-paid health care coverage; and travel benefits for the employee and eligible dependents; in addition to a nine-week extension of current wages and benefits, as required by law. The airline also will provide information on outplacement assistance, career counseling, retraining resources and opportunities with other local employers.

Employees impacted by the Seattle decision will have the option to receive full company severance while applying for jobs with the new service provider.

Still under negotiation with the IAM is the contract covering more than 450 ramp service, air freight and supply agents in the state of Alaska; nearly 140 air freight and supply agents in Seattle; and 13 supply agents in Los Angeles, Oakland, Phoenix, Portland and San Francisco. The airline plans to participate in mediated sessions with the union this summer focused on reaching an agreement with this bargaining unit.

Menzies Aviation is a global provider of ground handling services to more than 500 airline customers at some of the world's busiest airports. The company provides ramp services for Alaska Airlines in Los Angeles, Portland, San Francisco, San Jose and at all Mexican airports the airline serves.

This report may contain forward-looking statements that are intended to be subject to the safe harbor protection provided by Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. These statements relate to future events or our future financial performance and involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties that may cause our actual results or performance to be materially different from those indicated by any forward-looking statements. In some cases, you can identify forward- looking statements by terminology such as "forecast," "may," "will," "could," "should," "expect," "plan," "believe," "potential" or other similar words indicating future events or contingencies. Some of the things that could cause our actual results to differ from our expectations are: the competitive environment and other trends in our industry; changes in our operating costs including fuel, which can be volatile; our ability to meet our cost-reduction goals; labor disputes; economic conditions; our reliance on automated systems; increases in government taxes and fees; actual or threatened terrorist attacks, global instability and potential U.S. military actions or activities; insurance costs; changes in laws and regulations; liability and other claims asserted against us; operational disruptions; compliance with financial covenants; our ability to attract and retain qualified personnel; third-party vendors and partners; continuing operating losses; our significant indebtedness; and downgrades of our credit ratings and the availability of financing. For a discussion of these and other risk factors, see Item 7 of the company's Annual Report for the year ended Dec. 31, 2004, on Form 10-K. All of the forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by reference to the risk factors discussed therein. These risk factors may not be exhaustive. We operate in a continually changing business environment, and new risk factors emerge from time to time. Management cannot predict such new risk factors, nor can it assess the impact, if any, of such new risk factors on our business or events described in any forward-looking statements. We disclaim any obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements after the date of this report to conform them to actual results.

Alaska and sister carrier, Horizon Air, together serve more than 80 cities through an expansive network throughout Alaska, the Lower 48, Canada and Mexico. For reservations visit alaskaair.com. For more news and information, visit the Alaska Airlines newsroom on the Internet at http://newsroom.alaskaair.com .

Source: Alaska Airlines

Anyone heard what the union response is to this? Un-frickin-believeable.

GP

GuppyPuppy said:
Anyone heard what the union response is to this? Un-frickin-believeable.

This was the option that they chose by turning down the contract that was offered. Evidently they felt this was a better option. Sometimes "un-frickin-believable" can be used to describe many decisions made by both unions and management these days. Look all around you. It is happening on a daily basis, and ALPA is at the top of the bad decision tree.

Everyone, from employers to shareholders to unions are riding the backs of the employees. The employee bears the brunt of everything and gets no reward whatsoever. I guess they all think we should just be grateful for whatever crumbs come our way. No more for me.

The only good decision that can be made regarding this business is to get out and never look back. Nothing will change and it certainly isn't going to get any better.

Last edited:
You can sure as hell bet the company would have loved to have done that to the pilot group if they could.

For someone who has been in the business for so long, you have a short memory. You've witnessed numerous up and down cycles of the airline business yourself, havn't you? I've only been flying the line for seven years but having a father who flew at airlines for most of his adult life the one thing I've learned is that it flows and ebbs. Look at the early 1980's or the recession in the early 1990's. Those industry slumps weren't as extensive as this one but sooner or later the economy comes back, the industry sheds it's weakest carriers and things improve.

I suppose you have your reasons for knocking ALPA. They aren't perfect but by and large they're trying to preserve our pay and benefits rather than giving the management everything they want (but say they need), which is why about 99% of us recognize the value of their services.

Yank McCobb said:
This was the option that they chose by turning down the contract that was offered. Evidently they felt this was a better option. Sometimes "un-frickin-believable" can be used to describe many decisions made by both unions and management these days. Look all around you. It is happening on a daily basis, and ALPA is at the top of the bad decision tree.

The only good decision that can be made regarding this business is to get out and never look back. Nothing will change and it certainly isn't going to get any better.

You are right. I HAVE witnessed numerous ebbs and flows. But somehow I get the feeling things have changed for good. I never recall so many companies seeking concessionary contracts during times of operational profits under the auspice of "competition".

How do you presume to recover from this? Personally I am simply tired of everyone, from the companies to the unions, surviving on the backs of the very people who keep them afloat. The rank and file. Then who are the first to receive the shat sandwich and are expected to be grateful for having anything at all to eat?

Hey, if it works for you, then more power to you. I have had enough and plan to take my own advice. Get out and never, EVER look back.

Yank McCobb said:
You are right. I HAVE witnessed numerous ebbs and flows. But somehow I get the feeling things have changed for good. I never recall so many companies seeking concessionary contracts during times of operational profits under the auspice of "competition".

How do you presume to recover from this? Personally I am simply tired of everyone, from the companies to the unions, surviving on the backs of the very people who keep them afloat. The rank and file. Then who are the first to receive the shat sandwich and are expected to be grateful for having anything at all to eat?

Hey, if it works for you, then more power to you. I have had enough and plan to take my own advice. Get out and never, EVER look back.

Yeah,right:rolleyes: ...see ya in PHX.

PHXFLYR:cool:

In fact, I'm in PHX often. My company has quite a large presence there, as well as a domicile (although it is not MY domicile).

I retire in July. THAT is why I am getting out. And my life moves forward. THAT is why I plan on not looking back.

Funny you assume the world revolves around you, AWA and US Airways. I could not care less.

Have a nice life looking over your shoulder.

Yank McCobb said:
In fact, I'm in PHX often. My company has quite a large presence there, as well as a domicile (although it is not MY domicile).

I retire in July. THAT is why I am getting out. And my life moves forward. THAT is why I plan on not looking back.

Funny you assume the world revolves around you, AWA and US Airways. I could not care less.

Have a nice life looking over your shoulder.

Woopsie.......looks like SW's "People Department" let one slip through the cracks!! And no... I don't assume the world revolves around me....But you most certainly do.... Have a wonderful life.Or at least give it the old college try! My regards to Herb:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Alaska management has made some great decisions this month.

Any saving they have seen will go right out the window. My wife went to PHX this weekend on SWA. Her friend went on Alaska out of SEA yesterday. Her friend was 10 hours late. Evidently she moved airplanes 2 x's because of "mechanical" problems.

Management needs to have their collective heads examened when they make silly decisions that will obvioulsy inflame labor. I am sure that they will all be taking large bounus this quarter patting themselves on the back as well.

Good luck in 2007, stay safe.

Yank McCobb said:

I say great post! Enjoy your retirement... That is, if someone wearing a $2,000 suit hasn't stolen it. :mad: TC

Latest resources

Back