Applying to UPS/FEDEX with exp FE written

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Buc

Took the written in 1999 and it expired in 2001, but I have been with a 121 carrier since 2000. From what I understand the written exam results are still valid since being employed with a 121. Does UPS / FEDEX count this or do they still want results w/n a 2 year period?

FedEx wants it within 24 calender months regardless of the reg...

I don't know what UPS wants...although, they just say,"...current FE written, etc."

Just realize too that they want it when you interview(not the meet and greet). Just mark on the application that you have taken the written, then, when you need it, update it.

It may be some time for the call to come. I had to take it twice because of a 20 month pool that killed the first one

Last edited:
There was a guy in my UPS class that had taken it over 24 months prior. They took that so I think you are ok. IMO, if you want to work at UPS/FedEx that bad, I would just retake it (esp. since it is waaaaay expired) just to be sure though.

While I am not in the know for this particular matter, I would say that discretion is the better part of valor and that retaking the test would not be a bad idea.

The reason FedEx wants a current FE written is their interpretation of the 121 rule. When you quit your 121 job to come to FedEx, you are not currently employed by a 121 carrier, therefore, your FE written is not good anymore if you use the exemption.

Bottom Line: If you want to work at FedEx, get a current FE written.

FedEx wants it within 24 calender months regardless of the reg...

FDXer said:
The reason FedEx wants a current FE written is their interpretation of the 121 rule. When you quit your 121 job to come to FedEx, you are not currently employed by a 121 carrier, therefore, your FE written is not good anymore if you use the exemption.

I agree with these two. Suck it up and go take the written again. You will be glad to erase any doubt. :nuts:

I gave that some thought coming to UPS so I made the date of resignation at my previous company the same as my DOH at UPS...no lapse in 121 employment this way :)

CE

Don't apply the intent of the reg with company employment requirements...

Also, there are plenty of guys and a couple of girls that are ready and willing to take it as many times as needed. They will show up with a current FEXw and no questions.....

“There was a guy in my UPS class that had taken it over 24 months prior. They took that so I think you are ok.”

Interesting. My friend interviewed at UPS several months ago and he was asked if he had a current FE written; before he even answered they added “..by current we mean - has it been taken more than 24 months ago?…”

His was really current - not part 121 loophole current - but I was surprised to hear that someone in your class who was using the 121 exception was hired, since they were so specific during my friend's interview. Btw, my friend got hired too.

Latest resources

Back